From: John Navas on
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 00:00:16 +1100, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
wrote in <4aead553$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>:

>John Navas wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:18:10 -0700 (PDT), -hh
>> <recscuba_google(a)huntzinger.com> wrote in
>> <84cd2ddf-350b-41ad-ab51-0ce50c93b453(a)k17g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>:

>>> What I find unpalatable is dishonesty, and your dishonesty here is in
>>> suggesting that all dSLRs are "too expensive" while offering $400 P&S
>>> alternatives ... which costs just as much as a basic dSLR today.
>>
>> Nope. As I detailed recently here, the price point for even a basic,
>> much less capable dSLR alternative is well over $1,000, with even the
>> $3,000 level still not measuring up.
>
>Oh bullshit. I can spend a couple of hundred dollars on a used, previous
>generation DSLR, & $50 on a good prime lens, & take better photos than
>you can with a crappy P&S.

Certainly better than a "crappy P&S", but not a better compact digital
-- while I'm getting excellent images with my optically stabilized 486
mm reach, you're at most getting useless specks, and not able to even
get a comparable shot while I'm shooting 27 mm wide angle.

>Plus, the DSLR will probably last longer than
>the P&S.

Pretty much any digital camera will be obsolete long before it wears
out.

Your claims are getting pretty far-fetched.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: nospam on
In article <ijsle5dqbfqmdgpl9mcpr8g0c9tso22roe(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >Or you could spend $50USD on a 50mm/F1.8II & a basic Canon DSLR.
>
> And wind up with something much less capable than and not really
> comparable to a much less expensive compact digital. By that logic,
> compact digital cameras "start" at under $10.

straw man

> Most people need and want
> more,

you don't speak for most people
From: nospam on
In article <stsle591kl01lnqepn6j8vsgckdt8td7lv(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:44:57 +1100, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
> wrote in <4aead1bc(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>:
>
> >John Navas wrote:
>
> >> Panasonic FZ20 takes silent available light images with its superb
> >> 36-432 mm f/2.8 zoom.
> >
> ><grin> Too bad if you need a 20mm shot to include the entire stage. ;^)
>
> 1. 36 mm is just fine in the great majority of cases.

depends on the situation.

> 2. 20 mm lenses result is greatly distorted images.

depends on the lens and any distortion can be fixed in post-processing.

> 3. Most dSLR owners aren't equipped with 20 mm lenses.

nonsense. virtually every slr sold today comes with an 18-something kit
lens, often an 18-55. nikon even has a 16-85 vr lens which is also
quite good and canon has something similar.

> 4. It's a disingenuous to assume infinite lenses.

then it's a good thing that nobody is assuming infinite lenses. as for
disingenuous, one can look at your claims for that.

> 5. Panoramas can easily be created by stitching images.

speaking of disingenuous, let's see you do a panorama of a stage
performance. and while you're at it, use photoshop to cleanly extract
the actors from the background.

> In other words, a non-issue.

wrong again.
From: nospam on
In article <2htle5djerneamiqq4opk3qnd2kj6sscmu(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >> Nope. As I detailed recently here, the price point for even a basic,
> >> much less capable dSLR alternative is well over $1,000, with even the
> >> $3,000 level still not measuring up.
> >
> >Oh bullshit. I can spend a couple of hundred dollars on a used, previous
> >generation DSLR, & $50 on a good prime lens, & take better photos than
> >you can with a crappy P&S.
>
> Certainly better than a "crappy P&S", but not a better compact digital
> -- while I'm getting excellent images with my optically stabilized 486
> mm reach, you're at most getting useless specks, and not able to even
> get a comparable shot while I'm shooting 27 mm wide angle.

pure nonsense. a 400mm or longer lens can be attached should the
situation warrant. for the vast majority of people, that's rare.
From: nospam on
In article <h6tle59ae8icsn26iqsorl095u1hium6lg(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >> Even the big and expensive Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Autofocus
> >> lens isn't all that close:
> >
> >Are you serious? The 28-300mm EF is a 10:1 zoom! Try using a _good_ lens.
>
> The Panasonic FZ28 has an _18:1_ zoom that is more than _good_.

an 18:1 zoom lens *must* make compromises to obtain that range. there
is no getting around that. however, since the laws of physics don't
apply to you, i suppose the laws of optics do not either.

> The painful fact for dSLR fans/users is that there _aren't_ any good
> lenses that even get close to matching the Leica super-zoom lenses on
> Panasonic compact digital cameras. They instead have to fantasize
> lugging around and fumbling with an infinite lens kit.

there's actually quite a few lenses that not only match, but exceed it
in many ways. the *only* thing your lens has is a huge range. it's the
standard convenience versus quality tradeoff.