From: nospam on
In article <v4gne55kfeuvuj88ks2cm4h3hpgo48jebk(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >I do own some zooms, but I prefer primes, & would never expect top
> >quality out of a 10:1 zoom - even if it is an 'L' zoom.
>
> The Panasonic Leica super-zoom actually outperforms a prime on a
> comparable dSLR, as shown by 3rd-party test data I've posted here
> previously.

bullshit. the laws of physics and optics don't apply to you, do they?
plus, the camera fixes up the shortcomings of the lens, whereas that's
not an issue with a top quality fixed focal length lens.

<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q109superzoomgroup/page7.asp>

The small sensor means its images are never super-sharp (there's
always a hint of noise reduction being applied, even at the lowest
ISO settings), and they struggle with fine low-contrast detail and
can easily be overwhelmed by bright light, but then that's true of
all the cameras in this test. Overall, an impressive performance for
a camera of this type and one that's undeniably enhanced by the
removal of chromatic aberration, which appears to be processed-out by
the camera.

<http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FZ28/FZ28A.HTM>

Sharpness: The wide-angle end of the Panasonic FZ28's zoom is
surprisingly sharp from center to corner, but the telephoto end is
quite soft in some corners.

quite soft in some corners??? so much for outperforming a fixed focal
length lens. and although not about the lens, this camera is relatively
slow:

Shutter lag: Full autofocus shutter lag is good, at 0.50 second at
wide angle and 0.81 second at full telephoto.
From: David J Taylor on
"John Turco" <> wrote in message news:4AEBCBF1.8290CD2F(a)concentric.net...
[]
> My Kodak P850 and DX6490 digicams, both feature fairly long optical zoom
> lenses (12x and 10x, respectively). When employing telephoto, on closer
> subjects, I've often achieved some >very< narrow DOF.
>
> --
> Cordially,
> John Turco <jtur(a)concentric.net>

Yes, John, so have I with my Panasonic FZ5 P&S, but it's so much easier
with the large sensor on a DSLR, and you can get the same shallow depth of
field at much closer subject distances (i.e. you don't need to be at the
telephoto end of the zoom) and at the telephoto end you can get much more
blurred backgrounds. The shallower depth-of-field was the prime reason my
wife moved from P&S (Panasonic FZ20) to DSLR. The much better high-ISO
was a secondary advantage.

Well explained here, as I'm sure you know:
http://www.clarkvision.com/photoinfo/dof_myth/

Cheers,
David

From: Ray Fischer on
John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 13:23:31 +1000, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
>wrote in <4aeb9fa5$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>:
>
>>nospam wrote:

>>> he's fixated on a superzoom.
>>
>>I do own some zooms, but I prefer primes, & would never expect top
>>quality out of a 10:1 zoom - even if it is an 'L' zoom.
>
>The Panasonic Leica super-zoom actually outperforms a prime on a
>comparable dSLR,

No it doesn't.

> as shown by 3rd-party test data I've posted here
>previously.

You having posted any data on the lens. You've posted data on the
camera's processing of the lens.

Big difference.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: George Kerby on

On 10/30/09 11:46 PM, in article v4gne55kfeuvuj88ks2cm4h3hpgo48jebk(a)4ax.com,
"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 13:23:31 +1000, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
> wrote in <4aeb9fa5$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>:
>
>> nospam wrote:

>>> he's fixated on a superzoom.
>>
>> I do own some zooms, but I prefer primes, & would never expect top
>> quality out of a 10:1 zoom - even if it is an 'L' zoom.
>
> The Panasonic Leica super-zoom actually outperforms a prime on a
> comparable dSLR, as shown by 3rd-party test data I've posted here
> previously.
You are a fuckin idiot, NavASS...

From: John Navas on
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 07:33:42 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
<qLRGm.131$Ym4.56(a)text.news.virginmedia.com>:

>"John Turco" <> wrote in message news:4AEBCBF1.8290CD2F(a)concentric.net...
>[]
>> My Kodak P850 and DX6490 digicams, both feature fairly long optical zoom
>> lenses (12x and 10x, respectively). When employing telephoto, on closer
>> subjects, I've often achieved some >very< narrow DOF.

>Yes, John, so have I with my Panasonic FZ5 P&S, but it's so much easier
>with the large sensor on a DSLR,

As you should know, it's dead easy with a Panasonic super-zoom like the
(ancient) FZ5. How much easier can or need it be?

>and you can get the same shallow depth of
>field at much closer subject distances (i.e. you don't need to be at the
>telephoto end of the zoom)

Usually not an issue.

>and at the telephoto end you can get much more
>blurred backgrounds.

Extremely shallow depth of field is usually considered a defect, not an
advantage, and when an unusual image needs more, post-processing will
usually give better results than any in-camera image (for me at least).

>The shallower depth-of-field was the prime reason my
>wife moved from P&S (Panasonic FZ20) to DSLR.

She should of course go with what she wants/needs,
but that doesn't really make much objective sense.

>The much better high-ISO
>was a secondary advantage.

She should of course go with what she wants/needs.

>Well explained here, as I'm sure you know:
> http://www.clarkvision.com/photoinfo/dof_myth/

Not really -- too distorted by his agenda. Better explained here:
<http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm>

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams