From: David Ching on
"Stephen Wolstenholme" <steve(a)tropheus.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> It
> does seem to be fairly busy but it will never replace the simplicity
> and convenience of using this newsgroup.

Nor will it replace the community spirit we have here, what with the
emphasis on Please, Please, mark my post as Answer so I get more points!
It's more strictly business over there.

-- David

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
The reason the newsgroup is being discontinued is the consequence of a number of really
stupid decisions, all of which were arrived at by people who are unqualified to understand
end user needs (if they did, they would have made different decisions!)
joe

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 17:16:41 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme <steve(a)tropheus.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 08:51:15 -0700, "Tom Serface" <tom(a)camaswood.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Of all of the newsgroups I subscribed to this is the *only* one left. MFC
>>is not only still alive, it's newsgroup (one of the most popular over the
>>years) continues on until the end of the newsgroup world.
>>
>>The correlative forum is picking up momentum though so I wonder if it will
>>still be here much longer as the post count drops off.
>>
>>See you here:
>>
>>http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcmfcatl/threads
>>
>>One thing I've noticed in the forums (using Internet Explorer) is that IE
>>caches the pages so they don't always redraw if I go there again in the same
>>Explorer session. Remember to hit the redraw key to see new activity.
>>Otherwise, the web interface is not to bad if you don't mind answering
>>online. I especially like how it will notify me by email if someone else
>>responds to a thread I'm following.
>>
>>Tom
>
>I installed Jochen's bridge so I could sample Msdn.en-US.vcmfcatl as a
>newsgroup because I can't stand the inconvenience of web forums. It
>does seem to be fairly busy but it will never replace the simplicity
>and convenience of using this newsgroup.
>
>Steve
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 09:38:38 -0700, "Tom Serface" <tom(a)camaswood.com> wrote:

>It's easy enough to refresh it periodically and I'm sure they'll work the
>kinks out.
****
But why didn't they figure this out ahead of time? It is not like it is not obvious...or
should have been, to a designer.
****

From: Tom Serface on
Yes, could be. I don't know who made the decision or why they made it. I'm
just trying to make lemonade :o)

Also, I'm encouraged that the MFC group on the forums seems to be picking
up. It means people are still using MFC and it seems to be different people
than have posted here. It's just nice to see.

From: Tom Serface on
You're right about that. My guess is if we posted "talk to each other"
messages like we've done here over the years they would quickly be removed
by a moderator because they are considered noise. Clearly, Microsoft's
attitude about fostering peer to peer "friendship" community has changed.
So, I agree with you on that count. I don't think many people are focusing
on the "points" thing. Everyone I've talked to thinks it is annoying, but I
have to admit it's mostly people like me with very few medals yet :o)

This newsgroup has been more than a "forum" to me. I have life long friends
from participation here like you, Joe, G, Ajay, Mihai, all the other Davids,
Scott, many of whom I've met in person and shared cheesecake. Our
camaraderie here has grown beyond just answering tech questions. In the
midst of it all we've become friends. I think we will stay friends :o) but
I will miss this kind of banter and the chance to talk about other things
besides the answer to the immediate question at hand.

It's clear that Microsoft wants it to be about business only and that is the
direction they are taking us. It may be for a number or reasons (I could
only speculate), but that's how it seems to be.

FWIW, I think that many non-technical users, will have a better experience
on the forums especially now that Windows 7 does not come with a newsgroup
reader. They will never be communities, in the same sense, because the
moderating is so subjective and Draconian, but most drop-ins looking for
answers won't know about that so they won't miss it like we will. They are
used to browser interfaces (most companies use the BBS metaphor now for
support) and it's easy to point to them using an HTML link. We are pretty
tech-savvy so we have a different perspective, but if you consider someone
like my wife looking for an answer she'd be much more comfortable with a
browser interface. I'm sure they considered all of this in the decision
process.

Anyway, good news... MFC isn't dead :o)

Tom