From: David Wilkinson on
Tom Serface wrote:
> Yeah, one of my major peeves with all of the proliferation of the info
> in these groups is that if you ever use Bing of Google to look for a
> topic these days you usually get a page or two of the same thing just
> linked by someone else who copied the information. That seems to happen
> with the forums too, but not as much. The "same" data looks different
> since it is on a different site, but the threads end up being the same.
> More noise.

Google groups was much better when they only showed ... groups. That is what it
was for. Now they show all kinds of other stuff; you might just as well do a Web
search, and that's what I do.

--
David Wilkinson
Visual C++ MVP
From: David Ching on
"Giovanni Dicanio" <giovanniDOTdicanio(a)REMOVEMEgmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes, it is using programming... but I was thinking about some form of RAD
> approach built inside Office itself, like it was possible with Office 2003
> and previous versions for the toolbars.

Outlook 2010 (and I presume other Office 2010 apps) does have a "Customize
Ribbon" dialog that lets you populate a tree containing contents of ribbon
tabs, with the desired commands.

-- David

From: Giovanni Dicanio on
On 11/06/2010 13:27, David Ching wrote:

> Outlook 2010 (and I presume other Office 2010 apps) does have a
> "Customize Ribbon" dialog that lets you populate a tree containing
> contents of ribbon tabs, with the desired commands.

David:

thanks for this: I've found it in Word 2010!

The problem was that I installed Office 2010 with the Italian UI, and I
searched the term "Ribbon", which I thought was invariant in the Italian
localization, e.g. like "mouse" or "file"... these English terms are not
translated in Italian UIs.
Instead the Italian localization of the UI uses a very different term:
"barra multifunzione", which can be translated in English as
"multifunction [tool]bar"...!
This was misleading to me.

Thanks,
Giovanni

From: David Ching on
> thanks for this: I've found it in Word 2010!

I'm glad, G. BTW, this is probably one post that would have gotten nuked on
the forum! :-O So sad....

-- David

From: Pete Delgado on

"David Ching" <dc(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message
> "r norman" <r_s_norman(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I guess you should blame Borland for developing Turbo Pascal, a
>> programming tool with a graphics oriented interface. That made us all
>> lazy and now we just click and drag instead of programming and rely on
>> the compiler to find our errors (syntactic ones, at least). We
>> should all go back to Edlin and learn how to do things for ourselves!
>>

> <smile> Line oriented editors... <shudder>

Do you remember the amount of paper you had to use to print listings in
order to gain an understanding of your own program -let alone someone
else's? The one good thing I recall is that my sed, grep an awk skills were
much better than they are today and making changes in multiple files took
far less time than it does today. Of course, the spectre of accidently
blowing your files away with an errant command was there too!

-Pete