From: Tom Serface on
Of all of the newsgroups I subscribed to this is the *only* one left. MFC
is not only still alive, it's newsgroup (one of the most popular over the
years) continues on until the end of the newsgroup world.

The correlative forum is picking up momentum though so I wonder if it will
still be here much longer as the post count drops off.

See you here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcmfcatl/threads

One thing I've noticed in the forums (using Internet Explorer) is that IE
caches the pages so they don't always redraw if I go there again in the same
Explorer session. Remember to hit the redraw key to see new activity.
Otherwise, the web interface is not to bad if you don't mind answering
online. I especially like how it will notify me by email if someone else
responds to a thread I'm following.

Tom

From: Stephen Wolstenholme on
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 08:51:15 -0700, "Tom Serface" <tom(a)camaswood.com>
wrote:

>Of all of the newsgroups I subscribed to this is the *only* one left. MFC
>is not only still alive, it's newsgroup (one of the most popular over the
>years) continues on until the end of the newsgroup world.
>
>The correlative forum is picking up momentum though so I wonder if it will
>still be here much longer as the post count drops off.
>
>See you here:
>
>http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcmfcatl/threads
>
>One thing I've noticed in the forums (using Internet Explorer) is that IE
>caches the pages so they don't always redraw if I go there again in the same
>Explorer session. Remember to hit the redraw key to see new activity.
>Otherwise, the web interface is not to bad if you don't mind answering
>online. I especially like how it will notify me by email if someone else
>responds to a thread I'm following.
>
>Tom

I installed Jochen's bridge so I could sample Msdn.en-US.vcmfcatl as a
newsgroup because I can't stand the inconvenience of web forums. It
does seem to be fairly busy but it will never replace the simplicity
and convenience of using this newsgroup.

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 08:51:15 -0700, "Tom Serface" <tom(a)camaswood.com> wrote:

>Of all of the newsgroups I subscribed to this is the *only* one left. MFC
>is not only still alive, it's newsgroup (one of the most popular over the
>years) continues on until the end of the newsgroup world.
>
>The correlative forum is picking up momentum though so I wonder if it will
>still be here much longer as the post count drops off.
>
>See you here:
>
>http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcmfcatl/threads
>
>One thing I've noticed in the forums (using Internet Explorer) is that IE
>caches the pages so they don't always redraw if I go there again in the same
>Explorer session.
****
This is the inevitable consequence of letting unsupervised children design software.

Anyone who knows how a browser cache works would never create a page that could change
behind the browser, but what can you expect when amateurs are allowed to create our
primary interfaces?
joe
****
>Remember to hit the redraw key to see new activity.
>Otherwise, the web interface is not to bad if you don't mind answering
>online. I especially like how it will notify me by email if someone else
>responds to a thread I'm following.
>
>Tom
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Tom Serface on
Yes, this group was always my hangout and you're right it is a very simple
interface, but the web interface (and being able to use HTML without being
blasted for it) is very nice for presenting code snippets. I'll miss this
group and I'm glad to see it hanging on until the end, but change happens.

FWIW, the forums are getting much better. I haven't been able to get the
bridge to work, but I like the web interface so I confess I haven't tried
very hard.

Tom

From: Tom Serface on
It's easy enough to refresh it periodically and I'm sure they'll work the
kinks out. I just noticed this problem this morning when I said to myself,
"hey I thought I already answered that" and I had.

FWIW, the newsgroups haven't been without their problems over the years as
well.

Oh well. I hope you'll try out the web interface and see if you can get
used to it.

Tom