From: Tom Serface on
Come on guys go back to your own thread to argue

:o)

Tom

From: Peter Olcott on
On 6/10/2010 11:35 AM, Pete Delgado wrote:
> "Peter Olcott"<NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
>> On 6/9/2010 1:34 PM, Pete Delgado wrote:
>>> "David Ching"<dc(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> On the bright side, the reality that Peter Olcott will never mark his
>>> questions as having been answered "correctly" means that far fewer people
>>> will be likely to respond to his drivel! No more epic threads! lol
>>>

>>> -Pete
>>>

>> Another bright spot is that with moderation rudeness would be diminished.
>> Possibly also with moderation people might actually answer questions
>> instead of endlessly dancing around the question because the answer is not
>> known.
>>
>> One of my posts regarding the correctness of my UTF32toUTF8() function,
>> there were very many posts, but, only a single post from a single
>> respondent that actually answered the question.
>
> Come on Peter, lets examine the facts:
>
> * your insistance that you are always correct -regardless of the amount of
> contrary information that exists
> * your ever-changing arguments, requirements and justifications.
> * your inability to do ANY research for yourself

I can do research myself. It is often much quicker to simply ask someone
that already knows from the top of their head. The big problem is that
when I ask a question on usenet most often many people that do not know
the answer still respond. This is the root cause of the meaningless drivel.

From: Tom Serface on
Hi Peter,

I like to mostly stay out of these things, but I've been online a long time
and my advice to you is to:

1. Not be afraid to ask anything. That's what many of us think these forums
are all about.
2. Glean information from the responses that may be helpful to you.
3. Post back any findings you have to allow others following the thread to
know the resolution if interested.
4. Ignore everything else. When someone posts condescending remarks, simply
ignore them.

That doesn't mean an energetic technical discussion isn't fun sometimes, but
when it digresses to personal comments then the best thing to do is just not
respond to them IMO.

:o)

Tom

From: Peter Olcott on
On 6/10/2010 11:35 AM, Pete Delgado wrote:
> "Peter Olcott"<NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote in message
>> On 6/9/2010 1:34 PM, Pete Delgado wrote:
>>> "David Ching"<dc(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> On the bright side, the reality that Peter Olcott will never mark his
>>> questions as having been answered "correctly" means that far fewer people
>>> will be likely to respond to his drivel! No more epic threads! lol
>>>

>>> -Pete
>>>

>> Another bright spot is that with moderation rudeness would be diminished.
>> Possibly also with moderation people might actually answer questions
>> instead of endlessly dancing around the question because the answer is not
>> known.
>>
>> One of my posts regarding the correctness of my UTF32toUTF8() function,
>> there were very many posts, but, only a single post from a single
>> respondent that actually answered the question.
>
> Come on Peter, lets examine the facts:
>
> * your insistance that you are always correct -regardless of the amount of
> contrary information that exists
> * your ever-changing arguments, requirements and justifications.
> * your inability to do ANY research for yourself
> * your claims that your algorithms/design/code is the a) fastest, b) easist
> to understand c) most effecient d) correct when it clearly is not

Although in my opinion this code is within the ballpark of an optimal
trade off between maintainability/reliability (both through readability)
and time/space efficiency, I will strive to present a much more humble
face in the future.
http://www.ocr4screen.com/UTF8.h

From: Giovanni Dicanio on
On 09/06/2010 19:49, Tom Serface wrote:

> I don't think many
> people are focusing on the "points" thing. Everyone I've talked to
> thinks it is annoying, but I have to admit it's mostly people like me
> with very few medals yet :o)

Actually, I think the point thing is not very smart... I have more
medals than you, but this means just nothing to me :)

On the contrary, the point thing may cause some form of competition
which is IMHO bad and contrary to build a *community* spirit.

If I could modify something on the web forums, I would cancel the point
and medals.

> This newsgroup has been more than a "forum" to me. I have life long
> friends from participation here like you, Joe, G, Ajay, Mihai, all the
> other Davids, Scott, many of whom I've met in person and shared
> cheesecake.Our camaraderie here has grown beyond just answering tech
> questions. In the midst of it all we've become friends. I think we will
> stay friends :o)

Well said Tom! I completely agree with you :)

....And don't forget the raw tuna fish ;)
(You were going to "poison" me, weren't you? ;)