From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
What is *really* scary is the concept that there *are* grandmothers who are developers. It
means I've been in this field too long (I know at least two expert programmers who are now
grandmothers)
joe

(No, I just realized I know three, if you count step-grandmothers)
joe

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:20:08 -0300, Cholo Lennon <chololennon(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> I really hope we will manage to keep the connection alive :-)
>>> It was really nice hangin out with all of you, virtualy and in reality.

>>> But I guess your wife is not a MFC programmer.
>>> While I can buy the argument of non-geeks using the forums for Office,
>>> or even Express, I would be very worried to hear that someone who
>>> claims to be a programmer is puzzled by newsgroups.
>>>
>>> But hey, it is what it is :-)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Visual C++]http://www.mihai-nita.net
>>> Replace _year_ with _ to get the real email
>>
>> Yes, lately MS has been more worried about making things easier for
>> beginners or non-techies, than for experts. And also more worried
>> about "sellability" of their products, instead of usability.
>> Only that can explain the non-customizable Office ribbon, the VS IDE,
>> the move from newsgroups to forums... They look great in screenshots
>> and at first they are easier. But in the long run, you are stuck with
>> those tools for beginners.
>
>But AFAIK developers aren't normal users... so IMHO if you can program
>something you can configure a news reader. With this point of view of
>making everything easy for everyone at the same level (and without
>consulting), MS is putting in the same bag developers and grandmothers
>(well, at least in my case, my grandmothers don't understand a computer :-P
>
>Regards
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
You haven't lived until you've had to do tech support, in the days before worldwide
low-cost calling, with your client's Best Customer, in Sweden. He spoke very poor
English, but in all ways was superior to my non-existent Swedish. I had to explain to
him, over the phone, with the serious language barrier, how to use edlin (which I had
never used, so I was frantically reading the manual and trying things out) to edit
autoexec.bat to change the PATH variable so he could use our code, but in a way that did
not interfere with the OTHER program that critically depended on PATH. And fit the whole
thing into the 128-character PATH limit that MS-DOS had. A five-hour phone call.
$$$$$$$$. And people wonder why I rail against ever depending on PATH!
joe

From: Stephen Wolstenholme on
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 11:02:46 -0400, Joseph M. Newcomer
<newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote:

>You haven't lived until you've had to do tech support, in the days before worldwide
>low-cost calling, with your client's Best Customer, in Sweden. He spoke very poor
>English, but in all ways was superior to my non-existent Swedish. I had to explain to
>him, over the phone, with the serious language barrier, how to use edlin (which I had
>never used, so I was frantically reading the manual and trying things out) to edit
>autoexec.bat to change the PATH variable so he could use our code, but in a way that did
>not interfere with the OTHER program that critically depended on PATH. And fit the whole
>thing into the 128-character PATH limit that MS-DOS had. A five-hour phone call.
>$$$$$$$$. And people wonder why I rail against ever depending on PATH!
> joe

Sometimes it is less of a problem to visit the customer than try to
explain something on the phone. You could have had a short "vacation"
in Sweden after a five minute edlin demo.

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Given the cost of the phone call, it really would have been cheaper to fly me to Sweden!
joe

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
I just finished a hilarious book, "In Search of Stupidity", written by someone who was the
Wordstar product marketing manager. WordStar failed because of terminal stupidity, mostly
of the programmers.

Did you know that WordPerfect insisted that all coding be in assembly code? How
incredibly stupid can one become and still remember how to breathe without coaching? One
of the reasons it couldn't compete with MSWord was that it took too much effort to add
things to it.

The book documents most of the colossal failures of the 1980s and 1990s. Everyone at
Microsoft should read it. Microsoft succeeded partly because they did most things right,
and mostly because their competitors did everything wrong. But the current directions
Microsoft is taking, and the behavior they are exhibiting, begin to look like the stories
of how to guarantee failure (screw your developers, for example, which is what killed
Novell, according to his story. Like, discontinue newsgroups in favor of Web forums
written by unsupervised children. Get rid of all the features that made VS6 so easy to
use. Remove the ability to customize Office. We see more and more of this every day. It
Does Not Bode Well).