From: Pete Delgado on

"David Ching" <dc(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Stephen Wolstenholme" <steve(a)tropheus.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> It
>> does seem to be fairly busy but it will never replace the simplicity
>> and convenience of using this newsgroup.
>>

> Nor will it replace the community spirit we have here, what with the
> emphasis on Please, Please, mark my post as Answer so I get more points!
> It's more strictly business over there.
>
> -- David

On the bright side, the reality that Peter Olcott will never mark his
questions as having been answered "correctly" means that far fewer people
will be likely to respond to his drivel! No more epic threads! lol

-Pete

From: Peter Olcott on
On 6/9/2010 1:34 PM, Pete Delgado wrote:
> "David Ching"<dc(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message
>> "Stephen Wolstenholme"<steve(a)tropheus.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> It
>>> does seem to be fairly busy but it will never replace the simplicity
>>> and convenience of using this newsgroup.
>>>

>> Nor will it replace the community spirit we have here, what with the
>> emphasis on Please, Please, mark my post as Answer so I get more points!
>> It's more strictly business over there.
>>
>> -- David
>
> On the bright side, the reality that Peter Olcott will never mark his
> questions as having been answered "correctly" means that far fewer people
> will be likely to respond to his drivel! No more epic threads! lol
>

> -Pete

Another bright spot is that with moderation rudeness would be
diminished. Possibly also with moderation people might actually answer
questions instead of endlessly dancing around the question because the
answer is not known.

One of my posts regarding the correctness of my UTF32toUTF8() function,
there were very many posts, but, only a single post from a single
respondent that actually answered the question.
From: David Ching on
"Tom Serface" <tom(a)camaswood.com> wrote in message
> You're right about that. My guess is if we posted "talk to each other"
> messages like we've done here over the years they would quickly be removed
> by a moderator because they are considered noise.

The answer is simple: we must simply become the moderators! :-)

-- David

From: Mihai N. on
> This newsgroup has been more than a "forum" to me. I have life long
> friends
> from participation here like you, Joe, G, Ajay, Mihai, all the other
> Davids,
> Scott, many of whom I've met in person and shared cheesecake. Our
> camaraderie here has grown beyond just answering tech questions. In the
> midst of it all we've become friends. I think we will stay friends :o) but
> I will miss this kind of banter and the chance to talk about other things
> besides the answer to the immediate question at hand.

I really hope we will manage to keep the connection alive :-)
It was really nice hangin out with all of you, virtualy and in reality.

> support) and it's easy to point to them using an HTML link. We are pretty
> tech-savvy so we have a different perspective, but if you consider someone
> like my wife looking for an answer she'd be much more comfortable with a
> browser interface. I'm sure they considered all of this in the decision
> process.

But I guess your wife is not a MFC programmer.
While I can buy the argument of non-geeks using the forums for Office,
or even Express, I would be very worried to hear that someone who
claims to be a programmer is puzzled by newsgroups.

But hey, it is what it is :-)

--
Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Visual C++]
http://www.mihai-nita.net

From: Mikel on
On 10 jun, 07:21, "Mihai N." <nmihai_year_2...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > This newsgroup has been more than a "forum" to me.  I have life long
> > friends
> > from participation here like you, Joe, G, Ajay, Mihai, all the other
> > Davids,
> > Scott, many of whom I've met in person and shared cheesecake.  Our
> > camaraderie here has grown beyond just answering tech questions.  In the
> > midst of it all we've become friends.  I think we will stay friends :o) but
> > I will miss this kind of banter and the chance to talk about other things
> > besides the answer to the immediate question at hand.
>
> I really hope we will manage to keep the connection alive :-)
> It was really nice hangin out with all of you, virtualy and in reality.
>
> > support) and it's easy to point to them using an HTML link.   We are pretty
> > tech-savvy so we have a different perspective, but if you consider someone
> > like my wife looking for an answer she'd be much more comfortable with a
> > browser interface.  I'm sure they considered all of this in the decision
> > process.
>
> But I guess your wife is not a MFC programmer.
> While I can buy the argument of non-geeks using the forums for Office,
> or even Express, I would be very worried to hear that someone who
> claims to be a programmer is puzzled by newsgroups.
>
> But hey, it is what it is :-)
>
> --
> Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Visual C++]http://www.mihai-nita.net
> Replace _year_ with _ to get the real email

Yes, lately MS has been more worried about making things easier for
beginners or non-techies, than for experts. And also more worried
about "sellability" of their products, instead of usability.
Only that can explain the non-customizable Office ribbon, the VS IDE,
the move from newsgroups to forums... They look great in screenshots
and at first they are easier. But in the long run, you are stuck with
those tools for beginners.