First  |  Prev |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
How to dynamically configure /etc/hosts entry ?
Hi, I'm using Mac 10.6.3. My IP is assigned through DHCP, so it changes periodically. There are some other machines on my network that need to access my machine, and so I was wondering if there is a way to configure my /etc/hosts file to contain an entry for davemachine xx.xx.xx.xx where "xx.xx.xx.xx... 26 Jun 2010 14:07
Present Status of Speech Recognition on the Mac
Present Status of Speech Recognition on the Mac --------------------------------------------- In limbo. Nuance bought the tiny company MacSpeech with its ten programmers, on Feb 16, 2010, four months ago. MacSpeech was the only hope for Mac users, when it comes to speech recognition applications. (SR... 27 Jun 2010 16:06
Translation widget problem
When I use the Translation widget to go from English to some Western European language such as French or Spanish, it produces rubbish for accented characters. For instance "I shall write again" to French produces "J'écrirai de nouveau" for "J'�crirai de nouveau". I don't get any other font problems otherwise ... 26 Jun 2010 00:05
MacBook Pro Random Shutdown... Any help?
My wife's MBP 2006 2.16 Core Duo has suddenly started to have random shutdowns. In searching newsgroups, there are many, many posts for this problem. A problem that I didn't know existed. At any rate, we are traveling, not near any Apple service centers and I don't have any of my "computer" tools with me. ... 25 Jun 2010 14:16
Can't read backup DVDs
I have a backup set on DVD-R media made by Retrospect 6 on my G5. Tried to do an incremental backup recently after not backing up for a while; Retrospect now thinks all my backup disks are blank. I checked the internal optical drive; it can still burn CD-R and still read DVD media burned on other machines. Where do... 25 Jun 2010 02:15
Do you partition your HD?
As mentioned in another thread I am moving to a new Imac (500GB). I have never partitioned my HDs before but realize that if I am going to consider it, now is the time. So my question to the more experienced people here: Do you partition your HD? How do you see pros/cons? How many partitions do you use, what... 27 Jun 2010 15:00
How to preserve permissions during file transfer?
I am most grateful for all the responses. I ended up getting a Firewire cable (it is 9 pin to 6 pin) and used Migration Assistant. Speed was good, but I have a new problem: 1. I am not the owner of these files I just transferred! You see, MA didn't like the fact that I had the same name in both computers! So on ... 24 Jun 2010 05:17
synchronizing two macs
Hi. What do people recommend for synchronizing two Macs? I use an iMac and my wife uses a MacBook. We're going to swap Macs when I go on a trip in August. Is there a Mac-ish way to copy my home directory from one machine to the other? (I could always use a recursive cp, making sure to copy dotfiles and maintai... 28 Jun 2010 15:03
Downgrade from 10.6 to 10.5?
My company has a few MBPs. One of them was running OS X 10.5 and I upgraded it to 10.6. The video from QT to an external display then started causing occasional artifacts at high refresh rates. Another MBP running 10.6 has the same problem. I need to downgrade the older MBP back to 10.5; what's the best way to ... 23 Jun 2010 15:04
Quicken Starter Edition question
Does Quicken Starter Edition 2010 still print checks? If yes can you still print your little bit of artwork on the checks? Thanks for any help! ... 23 Jun 2010 18:24