From: Bruce Sinclair on
In article <eQhJ9V#7KHA.2292(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, Jon Peltier <jonNO(a)SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote:
>On 5/9/2010 7:40 PM, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> In article<Simon.Lloyd.4ap8gp(a)thecodecage.com>, Simon
> Lloyd<Simon.Lloyd.4ap8gp(a)thecodecage.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Nice thought but i was under the impression that these newsgroups will
>>> be closed once the forums are settled. If they're still going to be
>>> running then happy days :)
>>
>> Yes, interseting point. I saw that MS said they would 'close' the groups ...
>> but AFAIK, most NNTP servers don't accept 'remove group' commands from
>> anyone except themselves. MS may find this more difficult to do thatn they
>> think (assuming they don't simply mean that they will take the NNTP
>> interface off their web site - that they can do).
>> Again, if MS did try to kill off the groups, there would be little to stop
>> people adding/creating them again.
>>
>> Anyone got any more info on what MS really mean here ? :)

>I think they mean they will simply turn off their own nntp servers. As
>you say, they can't control the presence of these groups on the whole
>nntp/usenet network.

Quite. Well, if that really is what they mean, why didn't they just say so ?
Minor damage only if that's the case ... and in some ways, a good thing for
those of us here.

Thanks :)

From: Bob Phillips on
Everything looks better when we control it!

--

HTH

Bob

From: Bob Phillips on
Yeah, but Simon would want an automated facility to suck all of the posts
into his forum and post back.

--

HTH

Bob

"Bruce Sinclair" <bruce.sinclair(a)NOSPAMORELSEagresearch.NOTco.NOTnz> wrote
in message news:hs7ko1$ptl$5(a)news.eternal-september.org...

From: Simon Lloyd on

My forums have both members and newsgroup forums, we have many folk
that come to use the interface with the newsgroups, we use nntp software
to automatically post and retrieve posts from the newsgroups, i don't
think other news readers are configurable to allow automation, but would
be good if we could find one so that the members that use these forums
for the NG interface will still be catered for.

;
7
2
0
1
9
2

:

Yeah, but Simon would want an automated facility to suck all of the
posts
into his forum and post back.

--

HTH

Bob

"Bruce Sinclair" <bruce.sinclair(a)NOSPAMORELSEagresearch.NOTco.NOTnz>
wrote
in message news:hs7ko1$ptl$5(a)news.eternal-september.org...
> In article <uf9#wz77KHA.2292(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, "Bob Phillips"
> <bob.phillips(a)somewhere.com> wrote:
>>I get there via my ISP. Eternal September has a free service, I don't
know
>>if they would let you connect.
>
> They let me, so I'd say the chances look good. :) :)

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd