From: Bruce Sinclair on
In article <Simon.Lloyd.4ap8gp(a)thecodecage.com>, Simon Lloyd <Simon.Lloyd.4ap8gp(a)thecodecage.com> wrote:

>Nice thought but i was under the impression that these newsgroups will
>be closed once the forums are settled. If they're still going to be
>running then happy days :)

Yes, interseting point. I saw that MS said they would 'close' the groups ...
but AFAIK, most NNTP servers don't accept 'remove group' commands from
anyone except themselves. MS may find this more difficult to do thatn they
think (assuming they don't simply mean that they will take the NNTP
interface off their web site - that they can do).
Again, if MS did try to kill off the groups, there would be little to stop
people adding/creating them again.

Anyone got any more info on what MS really mean here ? :)

From: Bruce Sinclair on
In article <uf9#wz77KHA.2292(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips(a)somewhere.com> wrote:
>I get there via my ISP. Eternal September has a free service, I don't know
>if they would let you connect.

They let me, so I'd say the chances look good. :) :)

From: Jon Peltier on

On 5/9/2010 7:16 PM, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article<u0RXIlL7KHA.2220(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, "T. Valko"<biffinpitt(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>> I pretty much agree with everything you said.
>>
>> The best feature of NNTP ngs from my perspective is that it's very easy to
>> watch a thread for possible follow-ups.
>>
>> I also like the speed and ease of access.
>
> .. is it possible that this is an attempt by MS to kill off a 'text only'
> application that doesn't fit with their apparent 'everything looks better in
> html' approach ? An interesting possibility if so - and still wrong. :)

Everything looks better with ads?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

From: Jon Peltier on

On 5/9/2010 7:40 PM, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article<Simon.Lloyd.4ap8gp(a)thecodecage.com>, Simon Lloyd<Simon.Lloyd.4ap8gp(a)thecodecage.com> wrote:
>>
>> Nice thought but i was under the impression that these newsgroups will
>> be closed once the forums are settled. If they're still going to be
>> running then happy days :)
>
> Yes, interseting point. I saw that MS said they would 'close' the groups ...
> but AFAIK, most NNTP servers don't accept 'remove group' commands from
> anyone except themselves. MS may find this more difficult to do thatn they
> think (assuming they don't simply mean that they will take the NNTP
> interface off their web site - that they can do).
> Again, if MS did try to kill off the groups, there would be little to stop
> people adding/creating them again.
>
> Anyone got any more info on what MS really mean here ? :)

I think they mean they will simply turn off their own nntp servers. As
you say, they can't control the presence of these groups on the whole
nntp/usenet network.

- Jon
-------
From: Bruce Sinclair on
In article <#XYpkU#7KHA.2292(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, Jon Peltier <jonNO(a)SPAMpeltiertech.com> wrote:

>On 5/9/2010 7:16 PM, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> In article<u0RXIlL7KHA.2220(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, "T.
> Valko"<biffinpitt(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>>> I pretty much agree with everything you said.
>>>
>>> The best feature of NNTP ngs from my perspective is that it's very easy to
>>> watch a thread for possible follow-ups.
>>>
>>> I also like the speed and ease of access.
>>
>> .. is it possible that this is an attempt by MS to kill off a 'text only'
>> application that doesn't fit with their apparent 'everything looks better in
>> html' approach ? An interesting possibility if so - and still wrong. :)
>
>Everything looks better with ads?

Ah. Perhaps my vision is faulty ? :)