From: Wes on
ME wrote:
> I started out using a slide rule but there never was a limit to the kind of
> slide rule that you could use. A better slide rule would provide an unfair
> advantage too.

Hmmm. I wonder if my circular slide was considered an unfair advantage
by my classmates. :-) Having only one index, it was definately faster
to use.

> Part of education is to be able to choose and be proficient
> with the best tools that you can find. They should have a "no electronic
> devices" part of the exam and a "anything goes without communication" part
> of the exam.

The AP Calculus and Physics exams have almost what you're describing.
There's a non-calculator part and an "ALMOST anything goes" part. (On
the Calculus test, you are REQUIRED to have a calculator that will
graph, numerically solve, and numerically differentiate & integrate.)
You can have a calculator with a CAS, any programs, tables, equations,
information, etc. you wish, as long at the calculator fits the
restrictions mentioned before. However, the tests are specifically
written in such a way that these extra helps won't really help you.

> "Drawing the line" is totally arbitrary.

I think everyone would agree that there has to be a line somewhere.
Even "anything goes without communication" is a line. If you allowed
something as powerful as a laptop and had all your notes and a database
of information (say like a downloaded copy of the MathWorld site, or
all the past tests), it would be approaching "communication" even if
there's no link to the outside world.

I think saying "anything goes" would open up a can of worms that the
examiners would have a hard time dealing with. I think they've hit a
good balance based on the current, student affordable, technology. The
tricky part is that this is a moving target.

-wes

From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on
"Jean-Yves Avenard" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
> timite_h wrote:
>
>> Well it would be stupid to ban a calculator designed to replace the
>> TI84+/HP39G level of calculator just because it has a touch sensitive
>> screen.
>
> check what is allowed/disallowed for maths exam in the US.
> touch screen is one.
> Probably why the TI N'Spire doesn't have one

(/&%)(/&)(=/& <sensored>
No touch screen on possible Qonos variants either, then?

From: Gene on

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen wrote:
> "Jean-Yves Avenard" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
> >
> > check what is allowed/disallowed for maths exam in the US.
> > touch screen is one.
> > Probably why the TI N'Spire doesn't have one
> >
> (/&%)(/&)(=/& <sensored>
> No touch screen on possible Qonos variants either, then?

Gene: If I want a touch screen, I'll use my Palm and the 49g emulator
or the Free42s emulator.

From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on
Gene wrote:
> Veli-Pekka Nousiainen wrote:
>> "Jean-Yves Avenard" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> check what is allowed/disallowed for maths exam in the US.
>>> touch screen is one.
>>> Probably why the TI N'Spire doesn't have one
>>>
>> (/&%)(/&)(=/& <sensored>
>> No touch screen on possible Qonos variants either, then?
>
> Gene: If I want a touch screen, I'll use my Palm and the 49g emulator
> or the Free42s emulator.

Do the virtual keyboards work directly on touch screen?
Do you still have a qwerty keyboard?
Do you have a real calculator keyboard

What one could have is a touch screen
that allows interaction with graphs

From: bz on
"ME" <abcdefg(a)nonodock.net> wrote in

> I started out using a slide rule but there never was a limit to the kind
> of slide rule that you could use. A better slide rule would provide an
> unfair advantage too. Part of education is to be able to choose and be
> proficient with the best tools that you can find. They should have a "no
> electronic devices" part of the exam and a "anything goes without
> communication" part of the exam. If you can't do the last part well then
> don't do it. Anyway in many grad courses you don't even need a calc.
>
> The bottom line is that it is a game and who ever plays it the best wins
> which is something entirely apart from testing your knowledge. A
> Bluetooth adaptor for your calc could come in quite handy!

They ban calculators that could easily be used to transcribe and store the
exam contents.

The idea is to prevent cheating.

Of course, they can't ban applicants with photographic memories.

> "Drawing the line" is totally arbitrary.

Not really.

--
bz

infinite set.

bz+csh(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu (remove ch100-5 to email)
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Prev: HP48GX memory
Next: Linux emulators