From: ME on
"what a huge responsibility to fall on such an unlikely sector of society."
That's hilarious.

John you DO have a sense of humor. Thanks, I had the best laugh of the day.
I liked it.

My first calculator was a Pickett aluminum (a mechanical analog computer) It
sits on my desk at work.

From: Jean-Yves Avenard on
timite_h wrote:

> Well it would be stupid to ban a calculator designed to replace the
> TI84+/HP39G level of calculator just because it has a touch sensitive
> screen.

check what is allowed/disallowed for maths exam in the US.
touch screen is one.
Probably why the TI N'Spire doesn't have one

JY
From: Wes on
> Well it would be stupid to ban a calculator designed to replace the
> TI84+/HP39G level of calculator just because it has a touch sensitive
> screen.

Perhaps, but they're banned never-the-less. The SAT and Advanced
Placement (AP) exams do not allow a calculators with: pen/stylus input;
pocket organizers; models with QWERTY keyboards; models with paper
tapes; models that make noise or "talk"; models that require an
electrical outlet; and cell phone calculators.

For example, the TI-92+ and TI-Voyage 200 are not allowed because of
their QWERTY keyboards, while a TI-89 with its ABC keyboard is allowed,
even though they are essentially the same calculator running the exact
same OS.

I guess you have to draw the line somewhere. The specifications must
be things that an unknowledgeable proctor can easily identify.

-wes

From: ME on
I started out using a slide rule but there never was a limit to the kind of
slide rule that you could use. A better slide rule would provide an unfair
advantage too. Part of education is to be able to choose and be proficient
with the best tools that you can find. They should have a "no electronic
devices" part of the exam and a "anything goes without communication" part
of the exam. If you can't do the last part well then don't do it. Anyway in
many grad courses you don't even need a calc.

The bottom line is that it is a game and who ever plays it the best wins
which is something entirely apart from testing your knowledge. A Bluetooth
adaptor for your calc could come in quite handy!

From: John Stebbins on
What is driving most of the calculator restrictions is not the computational
power, but the fear that the device will be used to copy the test questions.
So no QWERTY keyboards, no programming capability, no pen input, as these
things would allow someone to copy a significant portion of the test in the
time given.

I am preparing for a professional exam that allows only simple algebraic
entry calculators. I may take a slide rule along to see how the test
proctors react--and I would find it more useful than the calculators they
allow.

-jgs

"ME" <abcdefg(a)nonodock.net> wrote in message
>I started out using a slide rule but there never was a limit to the kind of
>slide rule that you could use. A better slide rule would provide an unfair
>advantage too. Part of education is to be able to choose and be proficient
>with the best tools that you can find. They should have a "no electronic
>devices" part of the exam and a "anything goes without communication" part
>of the exam. If you can't do the last part well then don't do it. Anyway in
>many grad courses you don't even need a calc.
>
> The bottom line is that it is a game and who ever plays it the best wins
> which is something entirely apart from testing your knowledge. A Bluetooth
> adaptor for your calc could come in quite handy!
>
> "Drawing the line" is totally arbitrary.
> "Wes" <wjltemp-gg(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Well it would be stupid to ban a calculator designed to replace the
>>> TI84+/HP39G level of calculator just because it has a touch sensitive
>>> screen.
>>
>> Perhaps, but they're banned never-the-less. The SAT and Advanced
>> Placement (AP) exams do not allow a calculators with: pen/stylus input;
>> pocket organizers; models with QWERTY keyboards; models with paper
>> tapes; models that make noise or "talk"; models that require an
>> electrical outlet; and cell phone calculators.
>>
>> For example, the TI-92+ and TI-Voyage 200 are not allowed because of
>> their QWERTY keyboards, while a TI-89 with its ABC keyboard is allowed,
>> even though they are essentially the same calculator running the exact
>> same OS.
>>
>> I guess you have to draw the line somewhere. The specifications must
>> be things that an unknowledgeable proctor can easily identify.
>>
>> -wes

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Prev: HP48GX memory
Next: Linux emulators