From: Tony on
"Mary" <no(a)japamjunk.com> wrote:
>"Tony" <TonytheTigurrrrr(a)aim.com> wrote in message
>> "Mary" <no(a)japamjunk.com> wrote:
>> >"measekite" <inkystinky(a)oem.com> wrote in message

>> >working
>for
>printed
>terrible,
>> >but
>before.
>> >cart.
>> >Resume
>also
>> >which
>is
>as
>> >much
>my

>FEEL
>> >
>> >What kind of newsgroup is this? I came for some help for a printing
>> >problem, not for some jerk to insult me. And is your caps lock key
>> >stuck? Don't you know it means shouting and is bad netiquette? Don't
>> >bother replying if this is your best advice.
>> >
>> >Mary
>>
>> Mary
>> Sorry you got the diatribe from the low life here.
>
>Yeah, I should have checked his previous replies to people and I
>wouldn't have bothered to answer. It always mystifies me why people want
>to be trolls. Such a useless pursuit.
>
>> Just to re-inforce what Burt has said about the waste absorber.
>> There are two of them in this printer but the printer does not report
>which one
>> is nearly full.
>
>Are they the two square pad things in the white plastic container thing
>with dividers at the bottom right side of the printer where you can't
>get at very well?
>
>>Unfortunately I know of no codes to reset the counters, you
>> have to use a special piece of Canon software to reset the counters.
>This
>> software also tells you which of the waste ink counters is nearing
>full.
>> If you would like to have a go at that please e-mail me and I will see
>if I can
>> help.
>
>But would re-setting the counters help my situation if my problem is
>clogged colors?
>What does "waste ink absorbers almost full" mean? Do you have a hotmail
>or yahoo or other email address?
>Thanks.
>
>Mary

Mary
You can e-mail me at

TonytheTigurrrrr(a)aim.com

The waste ink counter problem is not related to the poor quality print.
The waste pads are actually deep inside the printer on the base plate, or near
enough. Don't worry about the ink sitting in the capping station that is normal.
It is likely that the pads are not full yet and that if you reset them you
would be OK until the next time you get the message, at that time pad
replacement is a must or you may get ink spillage.
The symptoms you describe (poor print quality) indicates to me that the
printhead is failing so I strongly suggest that you get it in for warranty
replacement as soon as you can. They may just provide you with a new printhead
which is simple to replace (it comes with full instructions), it does not come
with new ink cartridges.
Compatible ink does not damage printheads whatever our low life says, he knows
next to nothing about printers, Burt and I and many others here know heaps.
The ip1600 uses cartridges with integrated print heads so you get one black and
one tricolour cartridge and when they run out of ink you get a new printhead as
well, unfortunately there are no compatible cartridges for that model yet but
they can be refilled (I don't know how easy or effective it is).
If you do want to try the reset I will send you the utility but cannot post it
to a non-binary newsgroup so I would need your e-mail address, if you prefer
not to do that I will post it to a free server and post the url here.
Tony
From: Burt on

"Mary" <no(a)japamjunk.com> wrote in message
> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message news:ct1Yf.65766
The best news of all is that you are still under warranty. I did buy three
i5000 printers a few months ago at two staples stores in our area. They
were unadvertised and just happened to be on a closeout for $100 US each.
Don't reject the separate color carts idea yet - if you can find an ip4000,
ip5000, or the mp printer I mentioned in a previous post, you can buy
prefilled aftermarket carts online for $3 US or less and they hold a lot
more ink than your present printer carts. I don't remember the exact
volume, but I think that your present cart only has something like 7 ml. of
ink per color and when one runs out you throw the whole thing away. The
bci-6 carts have 13 to 14 ml of ink each - about double, and the aftermarket
ones I'll mention below are less than $3 US each (plus shipping, of course.)
For Canadian sources of aftermarket inks or for info on which companies ship
to Canada, send an email to Taliesyn - you can find some of his posts on
this newsgroup.

Look at the following sites for more information:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

http://www.neilslade.com/papers/badink.html

G&G and Procolor carts from Alotofthings.com were tested by Neil Slade and
his test photos are on his site. You will save considerably more money on
these inks with the five separate cart printers if you can find one
available. You might have your staples store check their warehouse facility
for a stray ip5000 if they don't have one in stock and you may just be able
to have them give it to you to satisfy the extended warranty. If
aftermarket carts were currently available I would then suggest the ip4200
or ip5200.

From: Burt on

> [...]
>> generation pixmas - the ip4000 and ip5000 - have separate color carts
> and a
>> ready supply of aftermarket prefilled carts and refill inks.
>
> I thought my iP 1500 was a previous generation? it does not have
> separate color carts. To tell you the truth, I really don't want
> separate color carts, if you mean the three separate colors plus black.
> I had an Epson like that and it is marketed as supposedly you save
> money, but I found I spent more money. If the blue was half way down,
> and the red was three quarters, and if I got a new blue, by another week
> or so I had to get red and was always running back and forth and went to
> an ink refiller which was ok, but I would not buy separate color
> cartridges again. I want the three in one which is fine for my purposes.
>
> If you can
>> find one to buy, your replacement inks will be much cheaper. I have
> found
>> that businesses like Staples charge almost as much as OEM carts for
> their
>> aftermarket inks. Your best buys are on the internet and Nifty-stuff
> forum
>> and Neil Slade's info on papers and inks are good guides for which of
> these
>> products are safe and effective.
>
> I've never bought ink carts online, as I use my printer steadily but not
> every day. I like to buy them and get them right away. Thats just me
> though. Staples OEM carts used to be a lot cheaper, but recently they
> have gone up in price and not as much of a bargain any more.
>
>> If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, Fry's electronics in San
> Jose has
>> the Canon MP780, a multipurpose unit, that has, as its basic printer
> engine,
>> the ip4000. It is on sale for $100 after reduction and Canon rebate.
> It is
>> also on sale at their outpost.com for $150. It is actually worth the
> price
>> for the printer function alone. As I mentioned for the ip4000 and
> ip5000,
>> there are lots of sources for prefilled carts of good quality.
>
> I am a few thousand miles from San Francisco though I would like to
> visit it but I am about an hour and a half to Buffalo, though I haven't
> been there in 10 years. I think I can manage to find something a little
> closer.
> Thanks a lot for your information. I am going to see if I can find the
> codes to re-set the ink absorber, or might end up going to Staples and
> see what printers they have that I can get.
> Too bad, I like the printer I have. I had a Canon before, the 2100. It
> was a good printer,
> better made than the ip1500. It lasted for 3 years with no problems.
> Finally the printhead went and it was separate and it was going to cost
> some ridiculous amount to replace and was cheaper to buy a new printer,

Mary - I forgot to answer another of your questions. If you are getting a
color shift to pink or red it is not the magenta jets that are clogged, it
would be one of the others. Probably Cyan. With flesh tones, if as an
experiment you back off of the cyan in the printer software you will shift
to a redder skin tone and visa versa. In essence, you get the opposite
color shift to the jet that is partially clogged.

From: Davy on
> But they had a little too much pink in them and some were a bit
dark
I know you are know printing coloured photos but I thought you were
complaining of a coloured cast...this will show up more easily in a
b&w photo where the mixture of the colours ought to produce a
reasonable black to white images and the grey's in between....this is
greyscale.

There should be no colour cast only black or white and the in betweens
which should be gray.

Getting rid of the colour 'tinge' as we'll call it is easier done I'd
say in a b&w photo, it only needs to be a small one and not of
full blown size.

Dont think any comments where made about the ink and paper brand, if
this could be the cause.

Davy

From: measekite on

Mary wrote:

>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message news:ct1Yf.65766
>

>>"measekite" <inkystinky(a)oem.com> wrote in message

>>>working

>for

>printed

>terrible,
>

>>>but

>before.

>>>cart.

>>>Resume

>also

>>>which

>is

>as
>

>>>much

>my

>>(snipped Measekite's mean-spirited, unhelpful response to Mary)
>>

>>>What kind of newsgroup is this? I came for some help for a printing
>>>problem, not for some jerk to insult me. And is your caps lock key
>>>stuck? Don't you know it means shouting and is bad netiquette? Don't
>>>bother replying if this is your best advice.
>>>
>>>Mary
>>>

>>Mary - you've just encountered our resident obnoxious troll. I can't
>>

>recall
>

>>the last time he was anything but mean spirited and rude.
>>

>I kind of figured that, but fell in the trap anyway :)
>
> He has a real
>

>>thing about aftermarket inks and constantly snipes at anyone who
>>

>mentions
>

>>them.
>>

>Actually, my photos printed much better with the "trash ink" which was
>Staples compatible carts if thats what he means by aftermarket inks,
>than it now does with brand name Canon ink cart.
>
>Yes, your canon ip1500 is a low end printer, but if it does
>

>>everything you need it to do, there's nothing wrong with your enjoying
>>

>it.
>
>Exactly my point. I've had it a year and it has worked fine during that
>time
>

>till I got a new Staples compatible

THATS WHAT I MEAN.