From: zakezuke on
> I don't think I am ambitious enough to do refilling with bulk inks. Its
> not something I have any desire to do to tell you the truth. I think I
> can do ok just getting a printer I can afford, and the ones suggested by
> most people here are quite a lot more money here than in the US.
> There is a Cosco store near me, but membership is $40.00 or $50.00 or
> something and I can't justify it as I used to go there but found that I
> didn't get my money out of it and preferred to shop other places.
> Besides, there is no guarantee that the same things you can buy in the
> US can be bought here as well. When buying products you have a lot more
> choices than we do and lower prices. There is often a lot of good sales
> here though, so usually I wait for them and with my camera, I bought it
> on sale at a cheaper price than most camera stores in the US listed them
> as. Its very challenging to live here in regards to prices. You have to
> be a good bargain hunter or can pay through the nose. I have to watch my
> money Burt. :)

Costco is one of those things... not everyone "sees" the savings. For
something like printer ink it tends to be really good. Tires... if my
car took 14 inch tires than costco would be the best choice. I have a
cheepo car with 13 inch rims, that size that is always advertised at
$100 for a set of 4, but for average people in north america that have
don't have the base model car tire savings is typicaly $50.00. There
is always 1 thing at costco that saves as much as the membership
yearly. In my case it's glasses. Photo paper is the other thing, and
Blank DVDs is the other "big thing". The other big deal is the card is
good when I travel. The photocenter is "NICE", and since the small
time labs are shutting down this is where I go. The other nice aspect
is return policy, they are hip to taking items they sold a hassle,
strange in the 21st century.

While you *can* often wait for sales and specificly buy things based on
someone else's time table, and in most cases beat costcos prices...
there are times where that is simply not an option. For me, if I break
my glasses... I can't operate without them.

You'd be surprised how many of the products are the same between
Costcos in Canada, US, and Mexico. It's the funny thing about dealing
with such bulk... it's worth the time to import, esp with products that
are foreign to both the US and Canada such as Kirkland Photopaper.

Kirkland Photopaper is popular enough that many a website and small
business buy it from costco and resell it for more. More popular are
those who make ciggerette runs from the east to the west.

> Its very challenging to live here in regards to prices. You have to
> be a good bargain hunter or can pay through the nose.

Yes, you still have "future shop". The only reason I think they are
still in operation in Canada is because they are Canadian owned.

> So far I haven't seen the ip1500 in STaples and I have to deal with them
> to get a new printer undr my extended warranty. I really don't want to
> pay a lot for a printer.

What you pay for your printer is pretty much meaningless. Whether you
buy the $50 printer, or the $150 printer, you will without a doubt
spend more on ink than the printer unless you go aftermarket bulk ink,
or find a great deal on refills. It's the cost of the supplies, if you
are buying OEM, that will run you hundreds of dollars. It's the cost
of the supplies that are paramount to the budget.

If you want cheap refills... you gotta buy a multi-tank printer. There
isn't anything like the ip1500 currently made with a tri color tank.
There just is not.

------------------

The other printer that's on the market that i'd seirously consider is
the hp 8250. It's CDN$249.92. It offers a spiffy photo pack that
includes 6 inks for CDN $49.92 and 150 sheets of 4x6 paper rather than
81.76 if you bought the inks one at a time. The yield isn't high but
the cost per page isn't horrible, ink efficency from my understanding
is very high.

Yes, this is more money.
----------------------

HP isn't horrible on the tri-color front, and most of the base models
give you the option to buy the spiffy photo cartridge and use "as
needed", but the cost for black, plain black text, will eat you alive
on models under $100.

From: Arthur Entlich on
Future Shop isn't Canadian owned anymore. It started out privately
owned in Canada. Was then sold and made public but still held in
Canada. It is now owned by Best Buy, a US company.

The name has value to them, since it was built and billed as a Canadian
company. Best Buy doesn't really want you to know or think about Future
Shop as theirs. Lately, they have been opening up Best Buy stores right
across the way from Future Shop, so they can "play" off one another for
pricing. It is the same game they play in shopping malls where 3 or 4
athletic shoe stores, all with different names and slightly different
stock, carry on business, and people "comparison shop" between the
stores, thinking they are shopping for the best deal. However, all the
shops are actually owned by one parent company, so they don't care which
store you end up buying at. You may "save" a few bucks, but any way you
look at it, you've made the purchase from the same business, and since
all are owned by one company, the prices never vary more than a few
bucks, since they "control" the level of competition between them.

It gives people a nice warm feeling that they comparison shopped and
came home with the best deal "in the mall". The thing is, a shop 2
blocks down, independently owned, might have offered the same pair of
shoes for 40% less, but they don't want you leaving the mall, so they
offer you "fake" shopping around. Future Shop and Best Buy do just
that. I was told that in Toronto somewhere they opened up a Best Buy
next to a Future Shop, as an experiment. There was also an Office Depot
and Staples in the same area. When the Best Buy opened, Future Shop
"lost" about 10-15% of the business to them, but Staples and Office
Depot lost over 40% between them to them, so that still put them 40%
ahead, since the Future Shop business was just transferred from one
store to the other.

Nothing better than owning your supposed competition. The food industry
does it all the time.

Art

From: zakezuke on
> Future Shop isn't Canadian owned anymore. It started out privately
> owned in Canada. Was then sold and made public but still held in
> Canada. It is now owned by Best Buy, a US company.

Thanks for the heads up. Knowing they are owned by someone else and
the business practice of faux competition increases the likelyhood that
i'd actually go in one. Not by much.

From: measekite on
NO MARY MARY QUITE CONTRARY IS TALKING TO MATT ZUKOWSKI AKA ZOOKIE COOKIE

From: measekite on

Mary wrote:

>"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>>Actually, I don't know anyone who belongs to Costco though there is
>>>

>one
>

>>>not far from where I live, but not that many in Toronto area. Costco
>>>

>is
>

>>>not big here like in the States. Only a certain niche of the
>>>

>population
>

>>>go there. And they may not have the same photo paper you mention
>>>

>above
>

>>>even though its an American Co. People with children get more
>>>

>benefit
>

>>>from Costco since they sell a lot of stuff in bulk. I had a
>>>

>membership
>

>>>in it years ago, but found I never used it.
>>>

>>The Kirkland photopaper, the 125pack of 8.5x11 is the same in Canada
>>(vancouver at least), US, and Mexico (at least Merida), and almost the
>>same in the UK except it's offered at a4 not letter. It's a swiss
>>import, USD $20ish. Can't remember what it cost in vancouver but it
>>was on par with the price US.
>>

>Are you in Vancouver?
>Well, I might see about paper later, but a printer and reasonably priced
>carts to go with it, is on my mind right now.

HE IS IN TOOKISSVILE

>>>I found the ip1500 had cheaper ink carts than printers you pay more
>>>

>for
>

>>>and cheaper than other brands of printers, but as you say maybe the
>>>carts don't last as long. I really don't know about that.
>>>

>>Those thimble sized tanks are double to tripple the cost per ml. The
>>ip3000/4000/5000 is the middle ground between a good cost per page and
>>starting investment. 25ml black pigment and 14ml color.
>>

>Do the 3000/4000 have tri color cartridges? I won't ask about the 5000
>because I saw it on the site of Future shop and much too expensive for
>me.

YOU ARE A JOKE IF YOU THINK THAT DISCONTUED MODEL IS EXPENSIVE

>I might be willing to check out the 4000 if its not individual
>tanks. The 4200 is only $10.00 more than the 4000 but somebody else said
>the 4200 are hard to fill

NOBODY CARES AND ONLY STUPID PEOPLE WANT A TRICOLOR