From: Mary on
"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Canon and Epson both employ the use of simple inktanks. With the
> exception of the new canon pixma series, the ip4200/5200/6600d/7500,
> there are more compatables than you can shake a stick at.
>
> HP does have some printers which take inktanks, but I know nothing
> about compatables for these new models.

I didn't see any compatibles for HP's in Staples. I saw some "value
packs" with color and black carts made by HP.Haven't looked for any in
other stores. I notice that Staples have quite a lot of HP printers.
Maybe even more than Canon and Epson. I noticed when I was buying a
camera and looking in various stores, Staples seemed to have quite a few
models of HP digital cameras on sale quite often. And I've seen an HP
rep demonstrating a photo printer once. Maybe Staples buy a lot of stuff
from HP and get good prices.

> You can get compatables for other printers that employ heads on the
> cart, but this adds to the cost and limits your options. At least
with
> Canon and Epson there are people making replacement tanks and are not
> dependent on used cartridges.

That is worth keeping in mind.

Mary

From: zakezuke on
> Doesn't work like that here. Canon here will not do that, whether the
> printer is still under warranty by Canon or not. You can phone them for
> advice, but cannot get them to send you a part. You need to take the
> printer to an authorized dealer which they give you a list with the
> printer instructions, or you can ship it to Canon if you don't live in a
> big city like Toronto where there are lots of authorized dealers.
> It must a US thing.

It works this way in both the USA and the UK.

> If someone were to phone Canon and said to send a
> new printhead, how would Canon know that the problem was actually the
> printhead without seeing the printer?

The drill goes something like this.

1. Replace the cartridges
2. If still not printing properly, and under warranty, send a new
print head
3. If that fails, send a referb printer without a printhead

There are the usual steps regarding "cleaning" and "deep cleaning".

While I know in Canada the retailer is responcible for the stuff they
sell... I would be absolutly shocked if you were within your warranty
period, and given the problems you experence they didn't ship you a
replacement head, or better yet, a referb unit.

I'm not talking stores here, I'm talking canon them selves.

> > It's worth asking them in E-mail... but don't say you used acetone.

> I don't know what they would say about that but I wouldn't be surprised
> if they said "how do you know its just the printhead. could be a lot of
> things." I could ask I guess just to see what they say.

In my experence, they ask you to do troubleshooting, try this, try
that, regular clean, deep clean.

I think the confusion here is you actually go to your store for
warranty service. Canon's phone support, and perhaps even their
e-mail, is actually pretty good. I can't honestly say it's good in
Canada as i'm having a hard time searching for Canadians who've posted
they did this. But US and UK, not a problem... replacement heads and
printers via post, or in my case, I has the option of going to the
service center or getting a printer via post.

From: Mary on
> "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > Canon and Epson both employ the use of simple inktanks. With the
> > exception of the new canon pixma series, the ip4200/5200/6600d/7500,
> > there are more compatables than you can shake a stick at.
> >
> > HP does have some printers which take inktanks, but I know nothing
> > about compatables for these new models.

I would like to ask something - do you think Canon and Epson and HP are
all equally good printers? Forgetting about ink refilling for the
moment, which manufactuers have good printers with not an arm and a leg
priced cartridges you can buy in a store? Of course, they all cost an
arm and a leg as far as most people are concerned, but some are not as
expensive as others. I am wondering if you think that HP are more
expensive in the long run than Canon and Epson. Are HP printers good
printers? I didn't really think about them till I was looking at them
yesterday but their cartridges seemed to cost more.

Mary

From: Mary on
> > Doesn't work like that here. Canon here will not do that, whether
the
> > printer is still under warranty by Canon or not. You can phone them
for
> > advice, but cannot get them to send you a part. You need to take the
> > printer to an authorized dealer which they give you a list with the
> > printer instructions, or you can ship it to Canon if you don't live
in a
> > big city like Toronto where there are lots of authorized dealers.
> > It must a US thing.
>
> It works this way in both the USA and the UK.

Well, I can only tell you what the sales guy at Staples told me and he's
been there for a few years, and other sales people have told me before.
I asked him yesterday again just to confirm. I had to take back a
printer a year and a half ago and had bought it at a different STaples,
though you can take anything back to any staples, but I asked the guy
there about the Canon warranty and Staples extended warranty and he told
me the exact same thing.

> > If someone were to phone Canon and said to send a
> > new printhead, how would Canon know that the problem was actually
the
> > printhead without seeing the printer?
>
> The drill goes something like this.
>
> 1. Replace the cartridges
> 2. If still not printing properly, and under warranty, send a new
> print head
> 3. If that fails, send a referb printer without a printhead
>
> There are the usual steps regarding "cleaning" and "deep cleaning".
>
> While I know in Canada the retailer is responcible for the stuff they
> sell... I would be absolutly shocked if you were within your warranty
> period, and given the problems you experence they didn't ship you a
> replacement head, or better yet, a referb unit.

I can get a replacement printer from Staples whether its in the first
year of the printer which theoretically is Canons reponsibility, not a
replacement head or refurb. unit. So not much point in getting a
printhead, if I can get a new printer.

> I'm not talking stores here, I'm talking canon them selves.

Yes, I know you are, but Canon obviously know and have arrangements with
stores that even the first year when theoretically it is Canons warranty
which is in effect, Staples will give you a new replacement and send
your old printer to Canon. US and UK are not Canon Canada. Maybe they do
things differently here.

> > > It's worth asking them in E-mail... but don't say you used
acetone.

> > I don't know what they would say about that but I wouldn't be
surprised
> > if they said "how do you know its just the printhead. could be a lot
of
> > things." I could ask I guess just to see what they say.
>
> In my experence, they ask you to do troubleshooting, try this, try
> that, regular clean, deep clean.
>
> I think the confusion here is you actually go to your store for
> warranty service. Canon's phone support, and perhaps even their
> e-mail, is actually pretty good.

I can only speak for myself. When I had a problem with an Epson I bought
at STaples, I told them about it one time and the guy said bring it back
here and we will give you a new one. Theoretically you are under Canon
warranty, but you can bring it here and we will ship it to them and
since Canon will not repair a printer under $200.00, we will just give
you another one.
That is how its done with printers at Staples, and I can't think that I
am the only one they do this for.
But I will phone Canon tomorrow or the next day if I get a chance and
will let you know what they say, but I am almost positive they will not
send me a printhead or a refurb. unit. Canon Canada and Canon US don't
necessarily handle things the same way ya know :) I will let you know
what Canon say. I phoned Canon before for something and you have to
phone the Canon Canada number if you bought the item in Canada.

I can't honestly say it's good in
> Canada as i'm having a hard time searching for Canadians who've posted
> they did this. But US and UK, not a problem... replacement heads and
> printers via post, or in my case, I has the option of going to the
> service center or getting a printer via post.

Well, I'm sure you did, but not the same procedure here. But I will
phone tomorrow - it will be quicker than email, if I get a chance or
Friday and I'll tell you what they say.

Mary

From: measekite on

Mary wrote:

>>"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>Canon and Epson both employ the use of simple inktanks. With the
>>>exception of the new canon pixma series, the ip4200/5200/6600d/7500,
>>>there are more compatables than you can shake a stick at.
>>>
>>>HP does have some printers which take inktanks, but I know nothing
>>>about compatables for these new models.
>>>

>I would like to ask something - do you think Canon and Epson and HP are
>all equally good printers?

CANON IS THE BEST. I HAVE BOTH CANON AND HP. OK CANON IS FAR BETTER IN
THE FOLLOWING AREAS:

PRODUCING PHOTOGRAPHS
PAPER HANDLING FOR ENVELOPES, GREETING CARDS AND THINGS WHERE A SEMI
STRAIGHT PAPER PATH IS BENEFICIAL.
CANON OEM INK COSTS LESS THAN HP OEM INK
IS FASTER

HP (WITH THE INTEGRATED PRINTHEAD) IS BEST
FOR PRODUCING TEXT AND GRAPHICS
HAS A TERRIFIC DRAFT MODE THAT COMES SOMEWHAT CLOSE TO CANON IN STANDARD
MODE
IS BETTER FOR THE INFREQUENT USER SO IF THE HEAD DOES CLOG JUST REPLACE
THE CART. (BUT IN OVER 5 YEARS I HAVE NEVER HAD A HEAD CLOG.

AS FOR EPSON IT HAS BEEN REPORTED THAT THE C SERIES IS A CLOG MACHINE.
THE R SERIES SEEMS TO BE MUCH BETTER. THE PIGMENT PRINTERS HAVE A
GREATER TENDENCY TO CLOG THE EPSON PERMANENT HEAD. IN ALL I THINK EPSON
IS THE MOST COSTLY