From: Mary on
"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I would like to ask something - do you think Canon and Epson and HP
are
> > all equally good printers?
>
> See for your self
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/10/25/in_living_color/page9.html

I checked out som printers last night on Toms Hardware and have become a
bit mixed up now about what printer I would get. (I am waiting for the
printhead from Canon, which should maybe come on Monday) and doubt that
I will get the refurb. ip1500 from Canon though Toms hardware reviews,
rate the ip1500 as being not a bad printer at all, and maybe better for
people who don't print heavily. My primary printer use is mainly text,
documents and sometimes copies of web pages, but once in a while i go on
a photo printing binge and thats when I use a lot of ink, but thats only
every couple of months or maybe less in future. So I don't need a mainly
photo printer. Ineed more of a general purpose one which doesn't
primarily focus on photo quality.

The reviews for the Canon 4000 are quite good. I checked the 4200 Canon
in Staples yesterday when I went for some cartridges. They had Staples
brand carts all $5.00 each, so I got 4 black ones for $2.00 each, color
was $15.00, so pretty good prices. They don't have them on sale all that
often though.The Canon 4200 is quite similar as to looks as the 4000,
and I checked into it online more, and its not a very compact printer
and is heavier than most comparable ones, being 14.5 lbs. I only have a
small table for a printer and my pressent printer and most other
printers are no more than about 5 or 6 lbs. Also, its a bit big for my
small table. It could fit, but not much room left. I picked it up in
Staples and wow, I am just a small person :). I looked at some HP
printers and they were lighter and a bit more compact.

The Canon 4000 Staples carts are 8.50 each color and $20.00 for the
large black one. I think I would have liked it better without that large
black cart and just the regular black one. Why would they need a large
black cart? The 4200 has it too.

The HP's seem to be mostly tri color and one black cart. not separate
color carts. I looked at HP 5440 (89.00) and 5490 (139.00) and checked
reviews online and HP seems to make good printers, but many people said
the carts were quite expensive even though they liked the printer. I
also looked at HP 7660 for 79.99 on sale. STaples comp is Black 24.46
for 23 ml and color is $35.00. It also says 6 ink color, so I think you
can get a photo color cart. A lot of HP seem to be like that, so you can
have regular color and black and if you want better photos, put a
different color and black cart in place. HP5740 is $84.97, same optional
6 ink carts. Didn't check cart. prices. Do you know anything about these
HP printers?

I notice when looking at prices in the US or Canada to buy printers in
my price range that Canon seems to be about the same price here as in
the US , but HP are noticeably more money here.
I prefer to get a printer which has Staples compatibles, and is a bit
more compact and not as heavy as the 4000 Canon though I don't rule it
out completely.. I definitely do not want to refill my own own carts. I
don't feel I use enough to warrant it and simply do not want to do it.

> The HP DJ 8150 might be similar to the DeskJet 5940, they at least
> share the same cartridges. With the 5940 you have the option to buy a
> "99 photo cartridge" or use the regular #97, at least that's what a
rag
> said.

Yes, the HP 5940 is one of the ones I checked out at Staples. A few HP's
seem to have the option to get the photo cartridge. I don't think the HP
5940 had Staples brand, only HP. Same with the HP5440 I think. The inks
do seem to be quite expensive in many cases, though I have more HP's to
check out.

I will probably have time to look around more and decide before I need
to buy a printer. In the meantime I should get the Canon printhead for
my ip1500 for now and keep using the ip1500 for now, or if I see
something I really want to get, might get it since I know eventually I
will have to replace the ip1500 because the waste ink absorber will
probably get worse.

Mary

From: Mary on
"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message news:Dg_Yf.64885

> As far as the full waste ink tank issue is concerned, if she wants to
keep
> the ip1500, there is a person named Tony on this newsgoup who is a
printer
> repair person in New Zealand. He may be able to privately send her
the code
> sequence for resetting the printer. I've read that one reset works ok
on
> other Canon printers without replacing the absorbent pad. Try it too
many
> times and you will probably have ink dribbling out from the base of
the
> printer, but once will probably be OK. If I were absolutely committed
> keeping the ip1500 I would first try the reset. If it worked I would
then
> install the new printhead. If it doesn't work, plan B would be to
either 1)
> get the refurb from canon, 2) accept the ip1600 and suffer the higher
cost
> per page or 3) pay additionally for the ip4000 and save enough on
> aftermarket carts (or in my case refilling) to compensate for the
additional
> cost up front.

Thanks for those ideas. It gives me another perspective and option. I
think I will get the printhead from Canon, see if the reset utility
solves the absorber problem and go from there.

Mary

From: Mary on
Been busy for a few days, so didn't get a chance to get back here. But
need to ask about your message below.

> > Do y ou mean I could fix the problem of the waste ink absorber
myself? I
> > thought you can't see it by just looking into the printer
>
> The waste counter you can reset with the service tool QY9-0066 as Tony
> explained. You can get it here
> http://www.printersiam.com/data/download/iP1500%20Service%20Tool.zip
> http://www.printersiam.com/data/DOWNLOAD.HTM
>
> There are also the following keystrokes
> 1. Turn off the printer. And disconnect the printer cable.
> 2. Press and hold the POWER button, turn on the printer.
> 3. The indicator (L.E.D.) should be green.
> 4. Press and release the RESUME button , the indicator (L.E.D.) should
> be orange.
> 5. Press and release the RESUME button again, the indicator (L.E.D.)
> should be green.
> 6. Release both buttons.

This part is confusing. I got Ip1500GeneralTool sent to me as I
mentioned before,
but none of the steps you mention above were told for me to do. My
understaning is just to run
the executable file and a screen comes up asking your USB Port, and I am
not sure exactly what to put there. When I check printer details for
port it says MPUSBPRN01, so I don't know
if I am supposed to put in 01 or 1 . I tried both and the next step was
to press "Main" and "Platen" and that should be all, but when I click on
either Main or Platen, nothing at all happens. So it looks like it
didn't work.
I am not sure when pressing Main and Platen, if theprinter should be on.
When I put the printer on, the green button is flashing, then it turns
to orange flashing, then if I was to print something, the message about
waste ink absorber comes up, press Resume and when I press Resume, I can
print something. After that, I can print and the error message doesn't
come up again. So where do those keystrokes above come in?

Mary

From: Mary on
"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

<snip>

> To sum
> it up, it would be most unusual for you have any liquid ink sitting in
the
> printer base at this point. The software reset doesn't alter the
amount of
> ink in the pad - it simply lets you continue to use the printer until
the
> counter decides that it should issue the next warning. It will think
you
> changed the pad when the reset is done, so this will give you
approximately
> the amount of time in the future that you've already enjoyed with your
> printer.

A very good explanation Burt. I understand things better now. Thanks.

Mary

From: zakezuke on

Mary wrote:
> Been busy for a few days, so didn't get a chance to get back here. But
> need to ask about your message below.
>
> "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Do y ou mean I could fix the problem of the waste ink absorber
> myself? I
> > > thought you can't see it by just looking into the printer
> >
> > The waste counter you can reset with the service tool QY9-0066 as Tony
> > explained. You can get it here
> > http://www.printersiam.com/data/download/iP1500%20Service%20Tool.zip
> > http://www.printersiam.com/data/DOWNLOAD.HTM
> >
> > There are also the following keystrokes
> > 1. Turn off the printer. And disconnect the printer cable.
> > 2. Press and hold the POWER button, turn on the printer.
> > 3. The indicator (L.E.D.) should be green.
> > 4. Press and release the RESUME button , the indicator (L.E.D.) should
> > be orange.
> > 5. Press and release the RESUME button again, the indicator (L.E.D.)
> > should be green.
> > 6. Release both buttons.
>
> This part is confusing. I got Ip1500GeneralTool sent to me as I
> mentioned before,
> but none of the steps you mention above were told for me to do. My
> understaning is just to run
> the executable file and a screen comes up asking your USB Port, and I am
> not sure exactly what to put there. When I check printer details for
> port it says MPUSBPRN01, so I don't know
> if I am supposed to put in 01 or 1 . I tried both and the next step was
> to press "Main" and "Platen" and that should be all, but when I click on
> either Main or Platen, nothing at all happens. So it looks like it
> didn't work.
> I am not sure when pressing Main and Platen, if theprinter should be on.
> When I put the printer on, the green button is flashing, then it turns
> to orange flashing, then if I was to print something, the message about
> waste ink absorber comes up, press Resume and when I press Resume, I can
> print something. After that, I can print and the error message doesn't
> come up again. So where do those keystrokes above come in?

Keep in mind I don't own the printer, nor do I have a printer that
employs the use of a service tool. Both my printers are a button press
style. From what I've read the way to reset the counter on the sub
ip2000 series is either with a service tool or with button presses, I'm
unsure which works on what.

MPUSBPRN01 refers to the virtual port your printer is on, for example
if you had two printers of the same type one would be MPUSBPRN01 and
the other would be MPUSBPRN02. When you do a file print look for
"where" and which ever printer spews out paper is that one.

I "think" based on what i've read setting the printer's destination is
the key to resetting it. Canon makes a hell of alot of printers and
makes a choice what regional market gets what features. Rather than
make 2 or more printers they make one and set the destination.
Switching to Japan, typicaly region 1, then to North America "might" do
the trick, and you might have to note which region the printer thinks
it is. But this is my sideways thinking and may not be reality. The
truth is I have no idea on that model.

The keystokes come in if for example the service tool doesn't work.
Again this is info pulled from the net and may not be reality.