From: measekite on
I JUST CANNOT BELIEVE THE NONSENSE SHE WRITES AND HOW MUCH SHE DOES NOT KNOW

Mary wrote:

THE USUAL STUPIDITY

SNIP UNREADABLE DIATRIBE
From: zakezuke on
> Measekite said: "the ip4200 is $80".

Two points.

1. You said just a short time ago that the ip4000 was better in terms
of speed than the ip4200 and one would be a fool to buy it.

2. We are talking with a Canadian who near as i'm aware has limited
her options to Staples due to the extended warranty.

I have only "heard" of the ip3200, i've never seen one for sale. I
"imagine" it would be like the ip4200 but missing the dye black. My
ip3000 is just dandy without the dye black, though on matte paper it
does get a tad soggy for black areas. This is easily resolved setting
the paper type to plain paper.

Mary seems to want a printer that has cheap supplies. There are no
aftermarket supplies other than bulk ink for the ip4200 presently.

From: Mary on
"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Measekite said: "the ip4200 is $80".
>
> Two points.
>
> 1. You said just a short time ago that the ip4000 was better in terms
> of speed than the ip4200 and one would be a fool to buy it.
>
> 2. We are talking with a Canadian who near as i'm aware has limited
> her options to Staples due to the extended warranty.
>
> I have only "heard" of the ip3200, i've never seen one for sale. I
> "imagine" it would be like the ip4200 but missing the dye black. My
> ip3000 is just dandy without the dye black, though on matte paper it
> does get a tad soggy for black areas. This is easily resolved setting
> the paper type to plain paper.
>
> Mary seems to want a printer that has cheap supplies.

Who doesn't? :).

Mary

From: Mary on
"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp(a)mvps.org> wrote in message
> Future Shop isn't Canadian owned anymore. It started out privately
> owned in Canada. Was then sold and made public but still held in
> Canada. It is now owned by Best Buy, a US company.

Like Staples used to be Business Depot till it was bought by Staples. It
still has Business Depot/Staples outside their stores for people
familiar with Business Depot name. Hudsons Bay was just bought by a rich
American guy not long ago. They all get offers they can't refuse I
guess.

> The name has value to them, since it was built and billed as a
Canadian
> company. Best Buy doesn't really want you to know or think about
Future
> Shop as theirs. Lately, they have been opening up Best Buy stores
right
> across the way from Future Shop, so they can "play" off one another
for
> pricing.

I'm in the east end of Toronto and only one Best Buy out my way but
about 4 Future shops, one FS a 5 min. drive from me. I was there
yesterday in fact. I have not seen Best Buy and Future shop stores close
to each other, but it could be the case in some areas. There are a lot
more Future shops here than Best Buy. About 8 Best Buys in Toronto and
immediate area and about 14 FS's. Myself I prefer Future shop, as they
have more variety. Maybe its just the Best Buy near me. It was built
only about a year ago near a large shopping mall. I find they don't have
the same amount of variety and prices are a little more there than
Future shop.

It is the same game they play in shopping malls where 3 or 4
> athletic shoe stores, all with different names and slightly different
> stock, carry on business, and people "comparison shop" between the
> stores, thinking they are shopping for the best deal. However, all
the
> shops are actually owned by one parent company, so they don't care
which
> store you end up buying at. You may "save" a few bucks, but any way
you
> look at it, you've made the purchase from the same business, and since
> all are owned by one company, the prices never vary more than a few
> bucks, since they "control" the level of competition between them.

One difference between the two stores is Best Buy sales people are not
on commision, and wear a badge saying "we are not on commission" meaning
they don't bug people to buy like some Future shop sales people do as
they are not on commission. I don't have a problem with FS sales people,
maybe because they know me and know I don't want to be bugged and like
to look around.

> It gives people a nice warm feeling that they comparison shopped and
> came home with the best deal "in the mall". The thing is, a shop 2
> blocks down, independently owned, might have offered the same pair of
> shoes for 40% less, but they don't want you leaving the mall, so they
> offer you "fake" shopping around. Future Shop and Best Buy do just
> that. I was told that in Toronto somewhere they opened up a Best Buy
> next to a Future Shop, as an experiment. There was also an Office
Depot
> and Staples in the same area. When the Best Buy opened, Future Shop
> "lost" about 10-15% of the business to them, but Staples and Office
> Depot lost over 40% between them to them, so that still put them 40%
> ahead, since the Future Shop business was just transferred from one
> store to the other.

I don't know where that would be. not out my way anyway. Toronto is huge
so could be in the west end and I know nothing whats out there - too far
:)

> Nothing better than owning your supposed competition. The food
industry
> does it all the time.

They all have marketing ploys to try to make a decent profit and
survive.

Mary

From: Mary on
"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Yes, you still have "future shop". The only reason I think they are
> still in operation in Canada is because they are Canadian owned.

Not any more. Best Buy bought them out a few years ago. But Future shop
stock has not changed in any way that I can see and I';ve been going to
the same Future shop near me for 10 years. Some people don't know that
Best Buy owns it now as it looks exactly the same with same sales
people. Only difference is its American owned now instead of Canadian,
but so is a lot of chain stores now.

> > So far I haven't seen the ip1500 in STaples and I have to deal with
them
> > to get a new printer undr my extended warranty. I really don't want
> > pay a lot for a printer.
>
> What you pay for your printer is pretty much meaningless. Whether you
> buy the $50 printer, or the $150 printer, you will without a doubt
> spend more on ink than the printer unless you go aftermarket bulk ink,
> or find a great deal on refills. It's the cost of the supplies, if
you
> are buying OEM, that will run you hundreds of dollars. It's the cost
> of the supplies that are paramount to the budget.
>
> If you want cheap refills... you gotta buy a multi-tank printer.
There
> isn't anything like the ip1500 currently made with a tri color tank.
> There just is not.

I went to one of the STaplels stores I often go to yesterday and spoke
to the sales guy who I know will give me his honest opinion and not
store opinion. I looked at a few printers and he and I looked at the
price of the cartridges that go with the printers as that is what I will
be using.
I don't plan on using aftermarket bulk ink, though maybe would to to an
ink refiller in the mall at some point. I am sure its fine for many
people, but its not big here for the average home printer, unless you
print a lot of photos, which I did off and on but won't be printing so
many in future.

Some printers had features I liked but didn't have something else. We
only looked at about 5 printers. A few were tricolor carts which is fine
for me and different color carts are more of a hassle in my view at
least. I've done that and don't want to do it again. Sales guy showed
me:

HP5440 - for $90.00 (all prices Can. - US $ =$1.18 = one Can.$)
This one was tricolor and cost $45.00 for both color and black carts -
no Staples compatibles.
We checked amount of ink in the color and it was about the same as the
BCI 24 Canon color which is what I use, 14 ml's or so, and the black HP
one was a little more volume than the BCI 24 black but Canon two pack
cost $25.00 compared to $45.00 for HP. He said the HP is a new printer
on the market- for Canadian market at least. I think the carts came with
printheads.

Canon ip4000 cost $65.00 for both carts and not much more ink in them
than the ip1500 and as you know, print heads on carts. thats why they
are a lot more than my ip1500.

> The other printer that's on the market that i'd seirously consider is
> the hp 8250. It's CDN$249.92. It offers a spiffy photo pack that
> includes 6 inks for CDN $49.92 and 150 sheets of 4x6 paper rather than
> 81.76 if you bought the inks one at a time. The yield isn't high but
> the cost per page isn't horrible, ink efficency from my understanding
> is very high.
>
> Yes, this is more money.

Way out of my leage and not necessary for my needs.

HP isn't horrible on the tri-color front, and most of the base models
> give you the option to buy the spiffy photo cartridge and use "as
> needed", but the cost for black, plain black text, will eat you alive
> on models under $100.

the new one I saw HP5440 was $90.00 and had the cheapest carts I looked
at yesterday - though a lot more than the ip1500.

There was also HP 5940 - tri color and black carts, optional tanks for
photos. it was $130.00.
I saw on Staples website the HP3845 I think you mentioned but the sale
guy said none of the stores have them. The warehouse has them but the
warehouse stuff and store stuff are sold separately. He said it wasn't a
bad printer but pretty well sold out in all Staples stores.

I didn't see any printers that had color and black carts for $25.00 like
the ip1500. They were about twice the price and not much more volume
either. Most HP's had printheads on carts, and no special values. Have
to buy name brands. Canon has the most STaples brands compatibles.

The sales guy suggested I clean the bottom of the printhead with acetate
like nail polish to see if that helps, which I did. I also took Tony's
suggestion of turning down the magenta in printer properties and that
seemed to help. But whether that lasts or not, is another matter.
Tony sent me the codes to stop the message I was getting about "waste
ink absorber almost full, press Resume button" but as far as I know that
is only to stop the messaage from appearing. Last night, the message
wasn't there, but it might come back.

I also got more information on Warranties and extended warranty with
Staples. I mentioned about some people here saying to phone Canon to get
a printhead, and he said it isn't done that way here, or not in Staples
at least. During the first year of the warranty, if the product you buy
such as a printer is under $200.00, and even if you have no extended
warranty with Staples, if something goes wrong with your printer,
Staples will replace it. If you have extended warranty another year will
be added to the replacement feature. the extended warranty is $10.00 for
something under $100.00. He said the printhead for example would cost
Canon about $30.00 to replace on a printer under $200.00 and Canon don't
think its worth it for a cheap printer.

If its a printer over $200.00 and under warranty with Canon or extended
warranty with Staples, you have to take it to an authorized repair
depot for them to fix it and assess what is wrong.
Thank you for all your information. You sure know a lot about after
market inks and features of various printers. Burt does too and many
others here.

Mary