From: measekite on

Mary wrote:

>"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>>Measekite said: "the ip4200 is $80".
>>>

>>Two points.
>>
>>1. You said just a short time ago that the ip4000 was better in terms
>>of speed than the ip4200 and one would be a fool to buy it.

BUT THE IP5200 IS MUCH FASTER THAN THE IP4200 AND PRODUCES BETTER TEXT
AND GRAPHICS THAN THE IP4000

>>2. We are talking with a Canadian who near as i'm aware has limited
>>her options to Staples due to the extended warranty.
>>
>>I have only "heard" of the ip3200, i've never seen one for sale. I
>>"imagine" it would be like the ip4200 but missing the dye black. My
>>ip3000

HE WAS A FOOL TO BUY IT. POOR PHOTOS WHEN COMPARED TO THE IP4000.

>>is just dandy without the dye black,

IS THAT EVER DUMB

>> though on matte paper it
>>does get a tad soggy for black areas.

OH YEAH SOGGY FOGGY

From: zakezuke on
> Canon ip4000 cost $65.00 for both carts and not much more ink in them
> than the ip1500 and as you know, print heads on carts. thats why they
> are a lot more than my ip1500.

No. The ip4000 is like the ip1500 in the fact that it's an ink tank,
no head on the cart. It takes 5 tanks. The volume is much higher.

ip4000 25ml black 14 ml 4 colors (extra black, cyan magenta yellow)
ip1500 9.5ml black *4.6ml 3 colors (cyan magenta yellow).

*Not sure on the exact size of the bci-24c, but it's somewhere between
4ml and 5.5ml per color.

Black volume 2.6x about 500pages at 5%
Color volume 3x

I.e. the size of the bci-24c tank with 3 colors is the same volume as
one color in the ip4000.

Now this isn't to say the volume is super duper massive. HP and
Lexmark both printers which take larger tanks.

> I didn't see any printers that had color and black carts for $25.00 like
> the ip1500. They were about twice the price and not much more volume
> either. Most HP's had printheads on carts, and no special values. Have
> to buy name brands. Canon has the most STaples brands compatibles

Canon and Epson both employ the use of simple inktanks. With the
exception of the new canon pixma series, the ip4200/5200/6600d/7500,
there are more compatables than you can shake a stick at.

HP does have some printers which take inktanks, but I know nothing
about compatables for these new models.

You can get compatables for other printers that employ heads on the
cart, but this adds to the cost and limits your options. At least with
Canon and Epson there are people making replacement tanks and are not
dependent on used cartridges.

> I didn't see any printers that had color and black carts for $25.00 like
> the ip1500. They were about twice the price and not much more volume
> either. Most HP's had printheads on carts, and no special values. Have
> to buy name brands. Canon has the most STaples brands compatibles.

You won't. They are not made anymore. I think it has to do with the
simple fact that the people who bought them were those who mostly
printed black, and only bought color as needed, but their color went
dry and the printheads burnt out, and these suckers had to be replaced
under warranty.

> The sales guy suggested I clean the bottom of the printhead with acetate
> like nail polish to see if that helps, which I did.

That sounds too harsh to me, but it would clear up the ink. Windex is
the prefered medium. I'd go windex, boiling water, then consider
something more harsh personaly. But keep in mind that these suckers
are basicly lightbulbs, and like lightbulbs will eventually burn out.

> I also got more information on Warranties and extended warranty with
> Staples. I mentioned about some people here saying to phone Canon to get
> a printhead, and he said it isn't done that way here, or not in Staples
> at least.

I have to admit, I don't know about Canada... however in the US and the
UK if your in your "Canon" warranty period, they will ship you a
printhead for free. The extended warranty is pretty much just a
Staples thing and wouldn't affect your ability to talk to canon,
assuming your printer is under a year old. I'm sure you'd prefer
Staples to handle it, but it doesn't sound to me that Staples will
actually fix it. My personal experence is just the US and a friend
with an ip1500. Called canon, got a new printhead via the mail.

It's worth asking them in E-mail... but don't say you used acetone.

During the first year of the warranty, if the product you buy

From: zakezuke on
> That is $129.00 and quite expensive carts.

I was quoting prices in canadian dollars :P

From: Mary on
> > Canon ip4000 cost $65.00 for both carts and not much more ink in
them
> > than the ip1500 and as you know, print heads on carts. thats why
they
> > are a lot more than my ip1500.
>
> No. The ip4000 is like the ip1500 in the fact that it's an ink tank,
> no head on the cart. It takes 5 tanks. The volume is much higher.

I must be thinking of the Ip1600. If the 4000 takes 5 tanks , I probably
didn't look at it too closely. For now, I am checking tri color carts
more.

> ip4000 25ml black 14 ml 4 colors (extra black, cyan magenta yellow)
> ip1500 9.5ml black *4.6ml 3 colors (cyan magenta yellow).
>
> *Not sure on the exact size of the bci-24c, but it's somewhere between
> 4ml and 5.5ml per color.

Its 5ml per color and the black is 9 ml.

> Black volume 2.6x about 500pages at 5%
> Color volume 3x
>
> I.e. the size of the bci-24c tank with 3 colors is the same volume as
> one color in the ip4000.
>
> Now this isn't to say the volume is super duper massive. HP and
> Lexmark both printers which take larger tanks.

The HP carts we checked yesterday for the printers I was looking at were
maybe a little more volume than the BCI 24 but not all that much..

> > I didn't see any printers that had color and black carts for $25.00
like
> > the ip1500. They were about twice the price and not much more volume
> > either. Most HP's had printheads on carts, and no special values.
Have
> > to buy name brands. Canon has the most STaples brands compatibles
>
> Canon and Epson both employ the use of simple inktanks. With the
> exception of the new canon pixma series, the ip4200/5200/6600d/7500,
> there are more compatables than you can shake a stick at.

Probably online but Staples is about the only ones I've seen in stores,
though Future shop has some too but never checked them. I think my
daughter gets her tri color and black carts refilled at a mall refiller.
She has an Epson I think, but doesn't buy Epson carts. she sometimes get
compatibles from Future shop when I think of it.

> HP does have some printers which take inktanks, but I know nothing
> about compatables for these new models.
>
> You can get compatables for other printers that employ heads on the
> cart, but this adds to the cost and limits your options. At least
with
> Canon and Epson there are people making replacement tanks and are not
> dependent on used cartridges.

In Staples they mainly have Canon compatibles but not for all Canons,
just some, and they have some Epson compatibles but I had a C64 which
never did get a compatible in stores.

> > I didn't see any printers that had color and black carts for $25.00
like
> > the ip1500. They were about twice the price and not much more volume
> > either. Most HP's had printheads on carts, and no special values.
Have
> > to buy name brands. Canon has the most STaples brands compatibles.
>
> You won't. They are not made anymore. I think it has to do with the
> simple fact that the people who bought them were those who mostly
> printed black, and only bought color as needed, but their color went
> dry and the printheads burnt out, and these suckers had to be replaced
> under warranty.

I don't know if the color would go dry. I don't know anybody who doens't
print using color enough to make it not dry up, but maybe some people
did. If that happened here, the whole printer is replaced, not just
printhead if the printer was under $200.00. Canon don't consider it
worth repairing if printer is under $200.00.

> > The sales guy suggested I clean the bottom of the printhead with
acetate
> > like nail polish to see if that helps, which I did.
>
> That sounds too harsh to me, but it would clear up the ink. Windex is
> the prefered medium. I'd go windex, boiling water, then consider
> something more harsh personaly. But keep in mind that these suckers
> are basicly lightbulbs, and like lightbulbs will eventually burn out.

He said acetate worked for his printers. I haven't tried windex yet, or
boiling water, but you are right, they will eventually burn out. I never
knew anything about the inside workings of a printer will I came to this
NG. Its a good education for me. I don't mind knowing things like that.
Knowledge of computer related products is always handy to know.

> > I also got more information on Warranties and extended warranty with
> > Staples. I mentioned about some people here saying to phone Canon to
get
> > a printhead, and he said it isn't done that way here, or not in
Staples
> > at least.
>
> I have to admit, I don't know about Canada... however in the US and
the
> UK if your in your "Canon" warranty period, they will ship you a
> printhead for free. The extended warranty is pretty much just a
> Staples thing and wouldn't affect your ability to talk to canon,
> assuming your printer is under a year old. I'm sure you'd prefer
> Staples to handle it, but it doesn't sound to me that Staples will
> actually fix it. My personal experence is just the US and a friend
> with an ip1500. Called canon, got a new printhead via the mail.

Doesn't work like that here. Canon here will not do that, whether the
printer is still under warranty by Canon or not. You can phone them for
advice, but cannot get them to send you a part. You need to take the
printer to an authorized dealer which they give you a list with the
printer instructions, or you can ship it to Canon if you don't live in a
big city like Toronto where there are lots of authorized dealers.
It must a US thing. If someone were to phone Canon and said to send a
new printhead, how would Canon know that the problem was actually the
printhead without seeing the printer? what if the printhead didn't fix
it and the customer phones again the next week for some other part.
Staples will not fix the printer and probably no other store here will
either, if the printer price is a cheap printer as Canon don't want it
back. If a printer was only sold for $70.00 or $80.00 and the printhead
or any other part is $30.00 which is what the sales guy says a printhead
costs, Canon do not feel its worth it and Staples just ship the
defective printer back to Canon and probably get credit it for it and
Canon don't want to fix it because its not worth their while. Maybe they
refurbish it. I don't really know. All stores probably work in a similar
way here. Canon Canada and Canon US probably do things differently.Due
to the much larger market in the US, Canon probably have their reasons
to do things differently than here.

> It's worth asking them in E-mail... but don't say you used acetone.

I don't know what they would say about that but I wouldn't be surprised
if they said "how do you know its just the printhead. could be a lot of
things." I could ask I guess just to see what they say.

Mary

From: Mary on
> > That is $129.00 and quite expensive carts.
>
> I was quoting prices in canadian dollars :P

Since you didn't quote anything of what you are replying to, I checked
and found where i said that, and I think I must have typed that
paragraph out of context because I was talking about some other printer.
I noticed you mentioned $88.82, but I wasn't talking about that. $88.82
is not very expensive, so don't know what I was referring to - I have a
headache :)

Mary