From: zakezuke on
> I don't have a very big apt. and space is an issue to some extent and on
> quite a few reviews I checked on the Canon 4000, it was mentioned that
> it was bigger than other comparable printers by some people who had
> bought it.. Its the biggest of the Pixma printers.In Staples when you
> can see all the printers on the shelf, you can notice that the
> 4200 is fairly bulky compared to a lot of other printers there and the
> 4000 is similar. I am sure there are others more bulky, but thats not
> what I am looking for

Yes... space is actually an issue for many people, easy to forget about
it. To me the ip4000 is somewhat small, but my last printer was a big
honking laser. The epson r200 was far too big to fit on a shelf I made
specificly for the printer, which is sad as a big honking laser use to
sit there.

Still there are always options. For example you could get a shelf for
your monitor, raise it up 5 to 6 inches and have the printer live
there.

> For me, I won't be drilling holes. The ip4200 is not good because no
> compatibles and doesn't it have a chip which the manufacturer is hoping
> will deter refillers?

Well, epsons have chips but there are compatable chips. The canon
chips have not been replicated yet.

> But I checked reviews of the ip1500 last night and was surprised that it is rated well in
> most reviews. I like it but didn't realize that a lot of other people do.

Yeah, it's not a bad printer. It's only real drawback are the thimble
sized tanks. One can do alot worse. Those lexmark printers that come
free with Dell are not very good.

But we can assume based on your diaper warning that your past needs are
inexcess of the $50 printer, which is not shocking as those $50
printers are geared tward families with 2.5 kids, printing letters to
Aunt Birtha and doing the odd report from time to time.

> Its too bad the 4000 has that large black tank as the various colors and
> the smaller black carts are not that bad for price as some printers, but
> the big tank is $23.00 each time you have to buy it and thats Staples brand
> I think.

http://www.islandinkjet.com/locator/results_state.php?s_Dealer_State=ON

Island inkjets has a few locations in Toronto. They are a fill as you
wait type place... though I must admit I have NO direct experence with
them. They "would" beable to refill the ip4200 tanks without a
problem, though refilling without resetting the chip disables the ink
meter presently.

http://www.inkdepot.biz/printer_cartridges.php?mfr=Canon&id=3807&printer=Canon+iP4000

Again... I know jack squat about these people, just posting it as a
reference to how much one can expect a compatable tank to cost for the
ip4000. So about CDN$28 for the dye(cyan magenta yellow and photo
black) and $7 for the big pigment.

A reasonable plan whether you go ip4x00 or not is to order supplies on
the cheap and get refills localy if needed.

> So far, the two Staples stores I've been in, have not had the
> 4000, just the 4200. They don't have the ip5000 either. The 4000 is
> only available on Staples online for $129.99. The sales guy told me
> that when they get new printer models in, they get short of room
> and have to send some printers to the Staples warehouse, then they
> become available online but not in the store, then they get sold and you
> can't get them any longer. New printers come out every 8 or 9 months
> the sales guy said. I haven't ruled out the 4000 though. But if I wait too
> long, the 4000 may not be available at STaples

Well, I suspect that it's already in short supply, esp in Canada where
the cost of the ink is about the same as the printer... not trying to
be mean, but it seems compatables are more popular there than the
states.

While "new" printers come out ever 8 or 9 months, the actual technology
doesn't always improve that quickly. For example the ip4000 is pretty
much the same thing as the older i860 except for the case and some
extra paper feeding features, and the cartridges remained the same.
There was no real reason to upgrade to the ip4000 unless you wanted two
paper trays, or if it happened to be onsale for less than the cost of
the ink. CD printing is the big feature that made me buy the ip3000 in
the first place, and recently the ip5200. The i860 2003 or so. Major
changes only tend to happen after 3 years or so, esp with canon who
repackage old but good technology as new.

The ip4200 atleast has a newer head, and improved print quality for
photos. Text printing has remained pretty much unchanged.

From: measekite on

Mary wrote:

>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
>
><snip>
>

>> To sum
>>it up, it would be most unusual for you have any liquid ink sitting in
>>

>the
>

>>printer base at this point. The software reset doesn't alter the
>>

>amount of
>

>>ink in the pad - it simply lets you continue to use the printer until
>>

>the
>

>>counter decides that it should issue the next warning. It will think
>>

>you
>

>>changed the pad when the reset is done, so this will give you
>>

>approximately
>

>>the amount of time in the future that you've already enjoyed with your
>>printer.
>>

>A very good explanation Burt. I understand things better now. Thanks.

THERE IS NOT MUCH YOU COULD UNDERSTAND FROM BURTIE FURTIE

From: measekite on

Mary wrote:

>"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>>I would like to ask something - do you think Canon and Epson and HP
>>>

>are
>

>>>all equally good printers?
>>>

>>See for your self
>>
>>http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/10/25/in_living_color/page9.html
>>

>I checked out som printers last night on Toms Hardware and have become a
>bit mixed up now

DUH

> about what printer I would get. (I am waiting for the
>printhead from Canon, which should maybe come on Monday) and doubt that
>I will get the refurb. ip1500 from Canon though Toms hardware reviews,
>rate the ip1500 as being not a bad printer at all,

IT IS TRASH

>and maybe better for
>people who don't print heavily. My primary printer use is mainly text,
>documents and sometimes copies of web pages, but once in a while i go on
>a photo printing binge and thats when I use a lot of ink, but thats only
>every couple of months or maybe less in future. So I don't need a mainly
>photo printer. Ineed more of a general purpose one which doesn't
>primarily focus on photo quality.
>
>The reviews for the Canon 4000 are quite good. I checked the 4200 Canon
>in Staples yesterday when I went for some cartridges. They had Staples

STAPLES IS A STORE BRAND THAT WILL CLOG YOUR PRINTER LIKE MANY OTHER
REPORTS I READ ABOUT IT.

>brand carts all $5.00 each, so I got 4 black ones for $2.00 each, color
>was $15.00, so pretty good prices. They don't have them on sale all that
>often though.The Canon 4200 is quite similar as to looks as the 4000,

WRONGO BONGO. THE IP4200 IS AN UPGRADED REPLACEMENT FOR THE IP3000.
THE IP4000 HAS BEEN SUPERSEEDED BY THE IP5200. THIS IS BASED ON
FEATURES, SPEED AND PRICE POINT. THE PRICE POINT OF THE IP5200 IS ABOUT
THE SAME AS THE INTRODUCTORY PRICE POINT OF THE IP4000. THE HAVE ABOUT
THE SAME SPEED AND THE SAME NUMBER OF CARTS BUT AND USE A 1PL DROP SIZE
INSTEAD OF 2PL.

IF YOU GO TO THE CANON SITE AND USE THEIR COMPARISON CHART THIS WILL BE
EVIDENT IF YOU HAVE THE CAPABILITY TO UNDERSTAND THAT STUFF.

>and I checked into it online more, and its not a very compact printer
>and is heavier than most comparable ones, being 14.5 lbs.

WHO CARS ABOUT THE WEIGHT. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

>I only have a
>small table for a printer and my pressent printer and most other
>printers are no more than about 5 or 6 lbs. Also, its a bit big for my
>small table.

SO GET A NEW TABLE OR A PRINTER STAND. DA JERK WANT TO BUY A PRINTER TO
MATCH A TABLE. WHAT A JOKE

>It could fit, but not much room left. I picked it up in
>Staples and wow, I am just a small person :)

WID A SMALL BRAIN

>. I looked at some HP
>printers and they were lighter and a bit more compact.
>
>The Canon 4000 Staples carts are 8.50 each color and $20.00 for the
>large black one.

THOSE ARE TERRIFIC PRICES

>I think I would have liked it better without that large
>black cart and just the regular black one.

NOW YOU ARE REALLY STUPID. THE LARGE BLACK ONE IS FOR TEXT. THE
ADDITIONAL DYE BLACK IS FOR ENHANCED CONTRAST.

>Why would they need a large
>black cart? The 4200 has it too.

GO READ REVIEWS AT WWW.PCMAG.COM

>The HP's seem to be mostly tri color and one black cart. not separate
>color carts. I looked at HP 5440 (89.00)

JUNK

>and 5490 (139.00)

JUNK

PNLY THE 8000 SERIES ARE WORTH LOOKING AT AND YOU MAY HAVE TO PLAY
MUSICAL CARTS

>and checked
>reviews online and HP seems to make good printers, but many people said
>the carts were quite expensive even though they liked the printer. I
>also looked at HP 7660 for 79.99 on sale. STaples comp is Black 24.46
>for 23 ml and color is $35.00. It also says 6 ink color, so I think you
>can get a photo color cart. A lot of HP seem to be like that, so you can
>have regular color and black and if you want better photos, put a
>different color and black cart in place. HP5740 is $84.97, same optional
>6 ink carts. Didn't check cart. prices. Do you know anything about these
>HP printers?

I THINK YOU ARE A CANDIDATE FOR THE LEXMARK

>I notice when looking at prices in the US or Canada to buy printers in
>my price range that Canon seems to be about the same price here as in
>the US , but HP are noticeably more money here.
>I prefer to get a printer which has Staples compatibles,

WERE YOU DROPPED ON YOUR HEAD AS A BABY

>and is a bit
>more compact and not as heavy as the 4000 Canon though I don't rule it
>out completely.. I definitely do not want to refill my own own carts.

THAT IS THE FIRST SMART THING YOU SAID

>don't feel I use enough to warrant it and simply do not want to do it.

YOU DO NOT HAVE PRINT VOLUME TO USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN CANON INK

From: zakezuke on
> Measekite said: "Snipped per request"

Actually this user was using aftermarket ink before comming to this
group... the Staples brand. No one here had anything to do with it, so
no baptism was peformed. Actually I reccomended bulk filling ink with
nice refillable plugs as it's so much less than prefilled Staples ink
as this would make the cost to operate a ip4000 squat but she was non
too hip to that. It's her money, and her choice.

You see, there is no great aftermarket conspiracy. You can make your
own choice in ink supplies, and making that choice does not make you
stupid or a foofoo head. Given the cost of OEM supplies, it's no
wonder people are making the choice to go aftermarket. Given base
consumer printers cost just about as much as the printer, the risk is
small. Now if OEMs would take a tip from the Japanese market and lower
prices to compete with aftermarket supplies, I know I would consider
OEM. But until that happens, i'll continue to buy the cheap printer
subsidized by OEM supplies and save a bundle. It's because people like
me take the time to protest an unfair market practice people like you
can benifit.

From: Burt on

"Mary" <nonon(a)nothin.com> wrote in message
> Been busy for a few days, so didn't get a chance to get back here. But
> need to ask about your message below.
>
> "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Do y ou mean I could fix the problem of the waste ink absorber
> This part is confusing. I got Ip1500GeneralTool sent to me as I
> mentioned before,
> but none of the steps you mention above were told for me to do. My
> understaning is just to run
> the executable file and a screen comes up asking your USB Port, and I am
> not sure exactly what to put there. When I check printer details for
> port it says MPUSBPRN01, so I don't know
> if I am supposed to put in 01 or 1 . I tried both and the next step was
> to press "Main" and "Platen" and that should be all, but when I click on
> either Main or Platen, nothing at all happens. So it looks like it
> didn't work.
> I am not sure when pressing Main and Platen, if theprinter should be on.
> When I put the printer on, the green button is flashing, then it turns
> to orange flashing, then if I was to print something, the message about
> waste ink absorber comes up, press Resume and when I press Resume, I can
> print something. After that, I can print and the error message doesn't
> come up again. So where do those keystrokes above come in?
>
> Mary

Don't keep printing! From what I've read, once the warning comes up you can
still print, but you should do the reset ASAP. If you don't do the reset
and keep printing the printer then goes into a mode where you can't print
and also can't do the reset. That info comes from several postings I've
seen and not from my own experience.