From: zakezuke on
> I checked out som printers last night on Toms Hardware and have become a
> bit mixed up now about what printer I would get.

> The reviews for the Canon 4000 are quite good. I checked the 4200 Canon
> in Staples yesterday when I went for some cartridges. They had Staples
> brand carts all $5.00 each, so I got 4 black ones for $2.00 each, color
> was $15.00, so pretty good prices. They don't have them on sale all that
> often though.The Canon 4200 is quite similar as to looks as the 4000,
> and I checked into it online more, and its not a very compact printer
> and is heavier than most comparable ones, being 14.5 lbs. I only have a
> small table for a printer and my pressent printer and most other
> printers are no more than about 5 or 6 lbs. Also, its a bit big for my
> small table. It could fit, but not much room left. I picked it up in
> Staples and wow, I am just a small person :). I looked at some HP
> printers and they were lighter and a bit more compact.

The ip4000 is about the same size as the ip3000 which I own. The
IP3000 is about the size of a small stereo reciever and is not
something I consider to be large, and in fact has the bottom feed and
front output so you could in theory place it in something like a stereo
stack, so long as you don't mind yanking out the printer every time you
need to replace the ink.

The ip4200 is very similar to the ip4000 except it prints using smaller
drops. Better shading. Directly in front of me I have the ip5200
ontop of my ip3000. I think it's wider by an inch. 16 inches or so
for the ip3000, 17.5 inches for the ip5200. These specs are online,
and I believe the ip5200 weighs in at 20lbs rather than about 15lbs for
the ip4200.

The issue with the ip4200/5200 is there are not compatable cartridges
for it yet, which is rather why people here reccomend the older model
ip4000, which has more compatables than you can shake a stick at.
There will probally be compatables for the ip4200/ip5200, just for the
time being the only solution is to buy OEM ink or drilling a hole and
refilling the tanks that came with the printer.

If size in an issue, the epson r200, is wider.

> I will probably have time to look around more and decide before I need
> to buy a printer. In the meantime I should get the Canon printhead for
> my ip1500 for now and keep using the ip1500 for now, or if I see
> something I really want to get, might get it since I know eventually I
> will have to replace the ip1500 because the waste ink absorber will
> probably get worse.

Or, you can always opt for shelling out cash for a diaper replacement,
typicaly as much as the value of that printer. It's somewhat deceptive
the prices on these printer. What sells for $50 is technicaly worth
more than that, but the company makes more money back on ink. You see
this more on printers by Brother where the printer is $150 and the a
replacement head is $300. While I personaly don't find the ecconomics
of the ip1500 sound, clearly you enjoy low cost thimble sized tanks.

> I prefer to get a printer which has Staples compatibles, and is a bit
> more compact and not as heavy as the 4000 Canon though I don't rule it
> out completely.. I definitely do not want to refill my own own carts. I
> don't feel I use enough to warrant it and simply do not want to do it.

Well, the ip4000 won't be on the shelf forever, it's no longer made.
There may be compatalbes for the ip4200/5200 in the future, there is at
the very least ink for it.

From: Mary on
zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Mary wrote:
> > Been busy for a few days, so didn't get a chance to get back here.
But
> > need to ask about your message below.
> >
> > "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > myself? I
> > >
> > > The waste counter you can reset with the service tool QY9-0066 as
Tony

http://www.printersiam.com/data/download/iP1500%20Service%20Tool.zip
> > > http://www.printersiam.com/data/DOWNLOAD.HTM
> > >
> > > There are also the following keystrokes
> > > 1. Turn off the printer. And disconnect the printer cable.
> > > 2. Press and hold the POWER button, turn on the printer.
> > > 3. The indicator (L.E.D.) should be green.
> > > 4. Press and release the RESUME button , the indicator (L.E.D.)
should
> > > be orange.
> > > 5. Press and release the RESUME button again, the indicator
(L.E.D.)
> > > should be green.
> > > 6. Release both buttons.
> >
> > This part is confusing. I got Ip1500GeneralTool sent to me as I
> > mentioned before,
> > but none of the steps you mention above were told for me to do. My
> > understaning is just to run
> > the executable file and a screen comes up asking your USB Port, and
I am
> > not sure exactly what to put there. When I check printer details for
> > port it says MPUSBPRN01, so I don't know
> > if I am supposed to put in 01 or 1 . I tried both and the next step
was
> > to press "Main" and "Platen" and that should be all, but when I
click on
> > either Main or Platen, nothing at all happens. So it looks like it
> > didn't work.
> > I am not sure when pressing Main and Platen, if theprinter should be
on.
> > When I put the printer on, the green button is flashing, then it
turns
> > to orange flashing, then if I was to print something, the message
about
> > waste ink absorber comes up, press Resume and when I press Resume, I
can
> > print something. After that, I can print and the error message
doesn't
> > come up again. So where do those keystrokes above come in?
>

> Keep in mind I don't own the printer, nor do I have a printer that
> employs the use of a service tool. Both my printers are a button
press
> style. From what I've read the way to reset the counter on the sub
> ip2000 series is either with a service tool or with button presses,
I'm
> unsure which works on what.

I can't seem to get the program utility which you gave me the URL for
and Tony sent as attachment. More below.
As to this part which I pasted below so you don't have to keep scrolling
up and down. I tried it but it didn't seem to work either, but a couple
of things about it is not clear to me.

1. Turn off the printer. And disconnect the printer cable.

I guess that means the USB cable?

> > > 2. Press and hold the POWER button, turn on the printer.

Press and hold the Power button is clearn, but what does it mean turn on
the printer? put the USB cable back in? thats how you turn on the
printer.

> > > 3. The indicator (L.E.D.) should be green.

It is. but doesn't stay that way.

> > > 4. Press and release the RESUME button , the indicator (L.E.D.)
should
> > > be orange.
> > > 5. Press and release the RESUME button again, the indicator
(L.E.D.)
> > > should be green.
> > > 6. Release both buttons.

Still holding the power button which is green, and press the Resume
button , the power button becomes orange. Press the Resume button again,
power button stays orange. Press both buttons, power button goes green,
but after about 30 seconds , its starts to blink orange, and alternately
blinks green and orange. If I go to print something, the same message
comes up about "waste ink absorber almost full."
Tony said the buttons method does not work on all printers.

> MPUSBPRN01 refers to the virtual port your printer is on, for example
> if you had two printers of the same type one would be MPUSBPRN01 and
> the other would be MPUSBPRN02. When you do a file print look for
> "where" and which ever printer spews out paper is that one.

I've only got one printer and its USB01.

> I "think" based on what i've read setting the printer's destination is
> the key to resetting it. Canon makes a hell of alot of printers and
> makes a choice what regional market gets what features. Rather than
> make 2 or more printers they make one and set the destination.
> Switching to Japan, typicaly region 1, then to North America "might"
do
> the trick, and you might have to note which region the printer thinks
> it is. But this is my sideways thinking and may not be reality. The
> truth is I have no idea on that model.

Funny you should mention this. Tony has not used this utility but there
is only three things you need to do on the program screen. It says "USB"
and a blank box for you to type in the USB number. So maybe supposed to
put 01 there. I tried 1 and USB01, but didn't seem to help. On the same
screen, there are two boxes to click, Main and Platen. I did these
things, but still get the same message so either it doesn't work or I am
doing something wrong.
But I noticed on that same screen where you set things, there is an area
that says "Set destination" and two boxes that say iP1500E and iP1500J,
so looks like I am supposed to click on ip1500E box, but I didn't want
to do the wrong thing, as I was only told to do these three things, but
I think I need to set the destination. Then you click on Quit to Exit,
but I wonder if you only know it worked if the error message doesn't
come on the screen next time or if its set right, there is some
confirmation message.

> The keystokes come in if for example the service tool doesn't work.
> Again this is info pulled from the net and may not be reality.

It might work on some models, but I couldn't get it to work, but the
steps are not completely clear to me, so I may have done it wrong. For
example it says disconnect the printer cable (USB cable) turn off the
printer, and press the power button and turn the printer on, them press
the power button and hold it down, turn the printer on. Does that mean
put the USB cable back in the back of the printer, since it can't mean
the power cable, as its not mentioned.

Mary

From: Mary on

From: Mary on
> > I checked out som printers last night on Toms Hardware and have
become a
> > bit mixed up now about what printer I would get.
>
> > The reviews for the Canon 4000 are quite good. I checked the 4200
Canon
> > in Staples yesterday when I went for some cartridges. They had
Staples
> > brand carts all $5.00 each, so I got 4 black ones for $2.00 each,
color
> > was $15.00, so pretty good prices. They don't have them on sale all
that
> > often though.The Canon 4200 is quite similar as to looks as the
4000,
> > and I checked into it online more, and its not a very compact
printer
> > and is heavier than most comparable ones, being 14.5 lbs. I only
have a
> > small table for a printer and my pressent printer and most other
> > printers are no more than about 5 or 6 lbs. Also, its a bit big for
my
> > small table. It could fit, but not much room left. I picked it up in
> > Staples and wow, I am just a small person :). I looked at some HP
> > printers and they were lighter and a bit more compact.
>
> The ip4000 is about the same size as the ip3000 which I own. The
> IP3000 is about the size of a small stereo reciever and is not
> something I consider to be large, and in fact has the bottom feed and
> front output so you could in theory place it in something like a
stereo
> stack, so long as you don't mind yanking out the printer every time
you
> need to replace the ink.

I don't have a very big apt. and space is an issue to some extent and on
quite a few reviews I checked on the Canon 4000, it was mentioned that
it was bigger than other comparable printers by some people who had
bought it.. Its the biggest of the Pixma printers.In Staples when you
can see all the printers on the shelf, you can notice that the
4200 is fairly bulky compared to a lot of other printers there and the
4000 is similar. I am sure there are others more bulky, but thats not
what I am looking for. Most of the HP's are lighter weight - about as
wide but not as high or boxy. You probably don't pay attention to those
things, but I do. The Canon 6210D I think it was, was next to the Canon
4000 but is not as big.

> The ip4200 is very similar to the ip4000 except it prints using
smaller
> drops. Better shading. Directly in front of me I have the ip5200
> ontop of my ip3000. I think it's wider by an inch. 16 inches or so
> for the ip3000, 17.5 inches for the ip5200. These specs are online,
> and I believe the ip5200 weighs in at 20lbs rather than about 15lbs
for
> the ip4200.

The ip1500 is 15.5" W X 7 1/4"D and 6" H, and weighs 2.9 Kilos which is
6.3 lbs . The Canon is 14.8 lbs. Big difference.I am just a small
person ya know :)

> The issue with the ip4200/5200 is there are not compatable cartridges
> for it yet, which is rather why people here reccomend the older model
> ip4000, which has more compatables than you can shake a stick at.
> There will probally be compatables for the ip4200/ip5200, just for the
> time being the only solution is to buy OEM ink or drilling a hole and
> refilling the tanks that came with the printer.

For me, I won't be drilling holes. The ip4200 is not good because no
compatibles and doesn't it have a chip which the manufacturer is hoping
will deter refillers?

> If size in an issue, the epson r200, is wider.

I prefer something lighter and more compact, not wider. There are lots
of printers that are compact and not too heavy, though maybe have other
negative features.

> > I will probably have time to look around more and decide before I
need
> > to buy a printer. In the meantime I should get the Canon printhead
for
> > my ip1500 for now and keep using the ip1500 for now, or if I see
> > something I really want to get, might get it since I know eventually
> > will have to replace the ip1500 because the waste ink absorber will
> > probably get worse.
>
> Or, you can always opt for shelling out cash for a diaper replacement,

> typicaly as much as the value of that printer. It's somewhat
deceptive
> the prices on these printer. What sells for $50 is technicaly worth
> more than that, but the company makes more money back on ink.

I wouldn't need to get a diaper replacement for my present printer if I
decided to keep it. Canon are willing to send me a refurb printer, but I
only have about a week left on my warranty with them.

You see
> this more on printers by Brother where the printer is $150 and the a
> replacement head is $300. While I personaly don't find the ecconomics
> of the ip1500 sound, clearly you enjoy low cost thimble sized tanks.

Yes, I like the low cost but I agree, for people who print a lot of
stuff, especially photos or graphics, it would not be very economical.
I sometimes go a few weeks and don't use a printer much, but once in a
while I go on
a photo printing binge, which takes a lot of ink. But I checked reviews
of the
ip1500 last night and was surprised that it is rated well in most
reviews. I like it but didn't realize that a lot of other people do.
These are probably people who only need a light duty all purpose
printer. Its not meant for lots of photo printing.

> > I prefer to get a printer which has Staples compatibles, and is a
bit
> > more compact and not as heavy as the 4000 Canon though I don't rule
it
> > out completely.. I definitely do not want to refill my own own
carts. I
> > don't feel I use enough to warrant it and simply do not want to do
it.

> Well, the ip4000 won't be on the shelf forever, it's no longer made.
> There may be compatalbes for the ip4200/5200 in the future, there is
at
> the very least ink for it.

Its too bad the 4000 has that large black tank as the various colors and
the smaller black carts are not that bad for price as some printers, but
the
big tank is $23.00 each time you have to buy it and thats Staples brand
I think. So far, the two Staples stores I've been in, have not had the
4000, just the 4200. They don't have the ip5000 either. The 4000 is
only available on Staples online for $129.99. The sales guy told me
that when they get new printer models in, they get short of room
and have to send some printers to the Staples warehouse, then they
become available online but not in the store, then they get sold and you
can't get them any longer. New printers come out every 8 or 9 months
the
sales guy said. I haven't ruled out the 4000 though. But if I wait too
long,
the 4000 may not be available at STaples.

Mary

From: zakezuke on
Keep in mind... I have not used this tool, I only offer sideways
thinking.

> But I noticed on that same screen where you set things, there is an area
> that says "Set destination" and two boxes that say iP1500E and iP1500J,
> so looks like I am supposed to click on ip1500E box, but I didn't want
> to do the wrong thing, as I was only told to do these three things, but
> I think I need to set the destination. Then you click on Quit to Exit,
> but I wonder if you only know it worked if the error message doesn't
> come on the screen next time or if its set right, there is some
> confirmation message.

Ah, J is probally Japan, E is probally Europe. What you see as what
you "should' click in is likely what it's set to already, Europe.
Japan. Since there are only two choices I would "think" one needs to
switch between the two. Set the printer for Japan, and then back to
Europe. I "think" this is the way to reset the waste counter... i.e.
set the printer in the same way as one does before it goes into a box
for it's final "destination" Japan or not Japan (Europe).

--------------------------------

> 1. Turn off the printer. And disconnect the printer cable.
> I guess that means the USB cable?

Correct... keep in mind that during this time period printers shipped
with USB or parelell connectors, so printer cable just means whatever
cable between PC and printer.

> > > 2. Press and hold the POWER button, turn on the printer.

> Press and hold the Power button is clearn, but what does it mean turn on
> the printer? put the USB cable back in? thats how you turn on the
> printer.

Service mode is different from regular mode, and there is no special
button for service mode, only a magical sequence of button presses.
Pressing power turns it on, pressing and holding power is like another
button.

> > > 3. The indicator (L.E.D.) should be green.
> It is. but doesn't stay that way.

Not owning the printer, I don't know the expected result.

> > > 4. Press and release the RESUME button , the indicator (L.E.D.)
> > > should be orange.
> > > 5. Press and release the RESUME button again, the indicator
> > > (L.E.D.) should be green.
> > > 6. Release both buttons.

> Still holding the power button which is green, and press the Resume
> button , the power button becomes orange. Press the Resume button again,
> power button stays orange. Press both buttons, power button goes green,
> but after about 30 seconds , its starts to blink orange, and alternately
> blinks green and orange. If I go to print something, the same message
> comes up about "waste ink absorber almost full."
> Tony said the buttons method does not work on all printers.

That sounds reasonable... just because the printer carries the same
label doesn't mean it has the same software on the inside. For example
I have the ip5200 with revision 1.01 roms, where others have revision
1.04 roms. The only reason I would care is if I was trying to enable
the CD print feature, and one printer's sequence works and another of
the same model does not.

> > MPUSBPRN01 refers to the virtual port your printer is on, for example
> > if you had two printers of the same type one would be MPUSBPRN01 and
> > the other would be MPUSBPRN02. When you do a file print look for
> > "where" and which ever printer spews out paper is that one.

> I've only got one printer and its USB01.

You got me there... I would expect something like IPUSBPRN01 as in
Canon pixma IP series usb printer number one, not Canon MP series usb
printer number one.... but often canon uses the same roms between
printers. Somewhere inside the printer it probally says "I'm MPUSBPRN"

> Then you click on Quit to Exit,
> but I wonder if you only know it worked if the error message doesn't
> come on the screen next time or if its set right, there is some
> confirmation message.

Got me... I have not used this software. The manual... likely the
service manual... would actually spell it out for ya. Problem is I
only have the ip4000 service manual which doesn't employ the "service
tool" but rather oddball button presses.