From: measekite on

Mary wrote:

>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
>

>>"Mary" <no(a)japamjunk.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>myself? I

>Tony

>http://www.printersiam.com/data/download/iP1500%20Service%20Tool.zip

>>>I got an attachment from Tony in my email which I haven't had time

>>>check out yet. It must be the one you mention above. From what Tony
>>>said, I was under the impression it just stopped the message from
>>>appearing on the screen but that the overflow problem is still there
>>>

>and
>

>>>according to the guy at Canon, he said that eventually it won't just
>>>

>say
>

>>>the waste ink absorber is almost full. it will say its full. He said
>>>

>the
>

>>>only way to solve that is to replace the printer.
>>>I don't think I want to go into service manuals.
>>>
>>>Mary

>should

>(L.E.D.)

>offering

>>Mary - the printer doesn't actually measure the ink in the waste pad
>>

>like a
>

>>gas guage in a car.
>>

>Actually thats I thought it might be something like that.
>
> It is just an estimate. From what I've read, one reset
>

>>won't create a problem.
>>

>I thought the reset was just to get rid of the onscreen message warning
>you about the ink absorber being almost full. I know this may sound
>stupid, but how can running a software utility lower ink levels?
>
>Mary

WE NEED A MARY RESET
From: measekite on

Mary wrote:

> [...]
>

>>>when the carts get low, I just don't print much, so the carts last
>>>

>me a
>

>>>while. I think more about what I have to pay each time even though
>>>

>in
>

>>>the long run it costs more. Its the same with everything you buy.
>>>

>>The difference here, the real difference is ink is used even if you
>>don't print anything. If you have no ink, you risk pre-mature head
>>burnout. That's the thing about this model, users who picked it like
>>the idea of only spending a few bills those rare times they need color
>>and go the rest of the time without, with only a 5ml buffer, which
>>disapears with automatic head cleanings.
>>

>I have to agree.the cleanings do take a lot of ink.
>
>I use it on a regular basis and wouldn't get dried up. I think I just
>printed too many photos lately and maybe thats how it got clogged in the
>first place, though it is probably more of an accumulation since I got
>the printer. But I never went for a long time with no color printing..
>

>>This is NOT a good procedure on this printer. You would be wise, if
>>being froogle, filling the tank with index so it at least is purging
>>something rather than burning out.
>>

>Thats something else I hadn't heard of. You mean put windex in a
>cartridge on the color end if you haven't used the carrtridge for a
>while?
>

>>This is probally why canon no longer offers the model, because people
>>do exactly this, don't print color, they don't buy color.
>>

>I printed color, but maybe not everybody did. Its more of an all purpose
>printer really but prints color photos ok though I am sure other
>printers would print photos better. I thought it was ok.
>

>>>The
>>>more you buy the more you save. Each way of thinking has its own
>>>

>merits.
>

>>>Depends on how you look at things.
>>>

>>If you replaced the tanks 10 times, I'd wager you'd save $50 per year
>>on if you used OEM ink. I'm too lazy to calculate the aftermarket.
>>If you print less than 1500pages per year of black text, and no
>>

>photos,
>

>>odds are you won't see savings in a year.
>>

>I probably print more black text, but I print photos sometimes too and
>when I do I sometimes print quite a few, then I might not do any for a
>month or so, but still do color printing in the meantime..
>

>>The service utility should tell you how many pages you've actually
>>printed so you can have some idea what your needs are.
>>

>This service utility has got me wondering exactly how it works.
>I think Burts idea is the best for me at the moment. Just get the
>printhead for now and see if I can reset the absorber thing. If not,
>don't bother with getting the refurb from Canon and I still have my year
>with Staples to get a new printer. Also if I got a refurb from Canon, it
>might not last long. I wonder if they give any warranty on a refurb
>printer? you would think they have to give you something, even a short

WHY ARE YOU SOOOOO STUUUUUPID
From: measekite on

Mary wrote:

> [...]
>

>>In addition, the ip4000 comes with a mfgr one year warranty, so she
>>

>doesn't
>

>>lose the year of warranty for the two guaranteed years of printer use
>>

>she
>

>>originally purchased. She may even be able to buy an additional year
>>

>of
>

>>extended warranty from Staples for the ip4000.
>>
>>Another thing you might consider is that the new printhead that Canon
>>

>will
>

>>send you for the ip1500 would probably be salable on ebay as long as
>>

>you
>

>>don't install it and try it. Even if you have to give the printer
>>

>back to
>

>>staples, you will have a new, unused print head to sell.
>>
>>As far as the full waste ink tank issue is concerned, if she wants to
>>

>keep
>

>>the ip1500, there is a person named Tony on this newsgoup who is a
>>

>printer
>

>>repair person in New Zealand. He may be able to privately send her
>>

>the code
>

>>sequence for resetting the printer. I've read that one reset works ok
>>

>on
>

>>other Canon printers without replacing the absorbent pad. Try it too
>>

>many
>

>>times and you will probably have ink dribbling out from the base of
>>

>the
>

>>printer, but once will probably be OK. If I were absolutely committed

>>keeping the ip1500 I would first try the reset.
>>

>Tony sent me something to my email address yesterday. He said it was a
>utility to do with the absorber, but I havent installed it yet. I
>thought from what he said (though I could be wrong) that it was only to
>get rid of the message. I didn't know that resetting it had anything to
>do with solving the absorbent pad problem. Zak's message mentioned a
>tool and that you might need a service manual so I began to think that
>would be beyond my skills.I don't know anything about printer service
>manuals.
>
> If it worked I would then
>

>>install the new printhead. If it doesn't work, plan B would be to
>>

>either 1)
>

>>get the refurb from canon, 2) accept the ip1600 and suffer the higher
>>

>cost
>

>>per page or 3) pay additionally for the ip4000 and save enough on
>>aftermarket carts (or in my case refilling) to compensate for the
>>

>additional
>

>>cost up front.
>>

>That may be a good idea and is the middle road that still leaves some
>options still open.. For now I think I will fax Canon tomorrow and let
>them send me the printhead, but they said after I get the printhead that
>I need to phone them to get a refurbished printer. They gave me an order
>number. would that just be for the printhead only and not the refurb
>printer. Can I just get the printhead and not bother to phone them to

LOOK AT DIS. BURTIE FURTIE, ZOOK DA KOOK AND MARY MARY QUITE CONTRARY
IN A CONVERSATION OF LOONACY. DAT FIGURES
From: zakezuke on
> Maybe, but going back and forth every week or two is not my idea of fun.
> I would rather put up with the three in one colors and print less
> photos. I have an allergy to buying printer cartridges.

The only way in canon to get a tri-color cartridge is to get one with a
head on the cartridge type. The printer in your class is not made
anymore though some might still be in stores. If it makes you feel
better they offer the OEM ink in tripacks.

ip-1600
12ml Black PG-40 - CDN $29.96 $2.50/ml
9ml Color CL-41 - CDN $35 $3.88/ml

ip-1500
9.5ml black bci-24bk $9.46 $1.00/ml
16.5ml color BCI-24c $27.96 $1.69/ml
pair = $30.96

IP-4000
25ml OEM big black CDN $16.98 $0.68/ml
50ml Staples Big Black 2 pack $24.22 $0.42/ml

14ml OEM color and small black CDN $17.96 $1.20/ml
14ml Staples color and small black CDN$13.46 $0.96/ml

OEM Multi pack (cyan magenta yellow) CDN $49.96 1.18/ml

-note-
Dollar per ml isn't always a good indicator of milage For example HP
seems to get much higher page per ml than canon or Epson. However in
this case, as we are dealing with Canon it should be a decent indicator
of value.

> Usually if its a company, they won't undervalue their declaration. With
> individuals you can do almost all the time, but companies are different
> and are more cautious. I've never looked into buying ink online, but I
> know thee are some Canadian sites sell it. I don't think I would want to
> do refills. seems like a pain to me.

$20 is the value of the gent's product for 2oz (about 60mls) of each
color, and 4oz of black. about 11cent/ml assumong CDN$40 covers the
ink and the shipping... it should. Companies must be careful, I agree,
the trick seems to be "stationary supplies" as far as the customs
delcaration, and finding US companies willing to ship via the US postal
service and not UPS which ends up in a brokerage house and might slap
on odd ball fees. The gent's kit offers refillable cartridges with
thumbscrew tops.

> You mean I would pay $391.00? I could buy a lot of printers for that.
> I'm sure you don't mean that.

1 refill kit. About Canadian $40. Including shipping I believe.
Equilivent in OEM ink clost to CDN$400. Savings is about 90%. I.e. OEM
ink costs about 10 times that of bulk ink. That Staples ink is rather
spendy as well.

> Where do you get UK from on your top line?

Canada wasn't listed, so I picked UK. I approximated the shipping at
$12bucks.

> The Ip4000 is $150.00 Can. to buy. If I take back the ip5000, I would
> have to pay $80.00 to make the price up to $150.00 and the ip4000 has
> separate cartridges which I don't want. I would rather print less photos
> and use the tri color carts.

Sorry about the confusion, for a time the ip4000 was being sold for
close to $100ish. $150 canadian is what I would estimate as average
street price, where it's $130 on the staples website, or could be your
talking about $130 plus 15% tax.

Well good luck, near as i'm aware canon only offers tri color
cartridges on their head on the cartridge models. The BCI-24 so far as
i'm aware is the last thimble sized tank offered by canon, everything
else is seperate 25/26ml and 14ml tanks. Epson doesn't offer a tri
color tank anymore so far as i'm aware.

From: Mary on
Been busy for a few days, so didn't get a chance to get back here. But
need to ask about your message below.

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Do y ou mean I could fix the problem of the waste ink absorber
myself? I
> > thought you can't see it by just looking into the printer
>
> The waste counter you can reset with the service tool QY9-0066 as Tony
> explained. You can get it here
> http://www.printersiam.com/data/download/iP1500%20Service%20Tool.zip
> http://www.printersiam.com/data/DOWNLOAD.HTM
>
> There are also the following keystrokes
> 1. Turn off the printer. And disconnect the printer cable.
> 2. Press and hold the POWER button, turn on the printer.
> 3. The indicator (L.E.D.) should be green.
> 4. Press and release the RESUME button , the indicator (L.E.D.) should
> be orange.
> 5. Press and release the RESUME button again, the indicator (L.E.D.)
> should be green.
> 6. Release both buttons.

This part is confusing. I got Ip1500GeneralTool sent to me as I
mentioned before,
but none of the steps you mention above were told for me to do. My
understaning is just to run
the executable file and a screen comes up asking your USB Port, and I am
not sure exactly what to put there. When I check printer details for
port it says MPUSBPRN01, so I don't know
if I am supposed to put in 01 or 1 . I tried both and the next step was
to press "Main" and "Platen" and that should be all, but when I click on
either Main or Platen, nothing at all happens. So it looks like it
didn't work.
I am not sure when pressing Main and Platen, if theprinter should be on.
When I put the printer on, the green button is flashing, then it turns
to orange flashing, then if I was to print something, the message about
waste ink absorber comes up, press Resume and when I press Resume, I can
print something. After that, I can print and the error message doesn't
come up again. So where do those keystrokes above come in?

Mary