From: Mary on
"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Any HP models you know of that are not too expensive but quite good
and
> > have reasonably priced carts? I prefer tri color carts. They are
more
> > convenient. If I stop priting photos so much, I won't be using up as
> > much ink and don't want to bother with separate ink carts.
>
> I'm a froogle person, so I don't know the sub $100 market for printers
> very well.
>
> All prices canadian
>
> Under $100 you have the hp 3845 for CDN $50
> 8ml Black HP 27 $28.63 $3.50/ml 220pages 13c/page
> HP 28 $33.62 190 pages 17c/page
> $62.25
> Optional #58 photo cartridge, for spiffy photos you gotta buy
"another"
> cartridge that doesn't live in your printer.

Thats the one on STaples web page but not in stores now. Its so much
cheaper than any others, I can't help but wonder if its any good. The
cheapest one I saw yesterday was $70.00. The HP3845 has to be ordered
from Staples online store, and store ordering and web ordering is
separate. You can order something from the web and take it back to the
store if you don't like it, but not the other way around - thats my
perception anyway.

> For $100
> HP Deskjet 5440
> 5ml Black #92 $19.93 210 pages 9c/page
> 5ml Color #93 $24.96 175 pages 14c/page
> $44.89

Thats the one the sales guy said was a new model, though may not be new
on US market.

> Also under $100
> Lexmark Z517 Inkjet Printer
> #16 Black $39.96 400p 10c/page
> #26 Color $44.96 150p 29c/page
> $84.92

I didn't look at Lexmark. Most people say their cartridges are the most
expensive.

> -or-
> Canon ip4000 over $100
> $130 to $150
> 25ml Black BCI-3e - $16.98 500pages 3c/page
> 4x14ml Color bci-6 -$17.96 280 pages Somewhere between 19c/page and
> 24c/page
> $88.82

That is $129.00 and quite expensive carts. I am not thinking about
refilling, but its interesting to know what the costs are. If anything I
would buy compatibles if its STaples brand which are ok, or maybe online
sometime, but I definitely don't want to do my own refilling.

> Yes, there are tri-color cartridge options. Head on the cartridge
> type. Color is harder to calculate but without a doubt you'll end up
> spending triple the cost per page for black. Plus aftermarket ink will
> be more spendy on this type.
>
> OEM ink
>
> Black text, 5% yield.
> hp 3845 1500p $195.20
> hp 5440 1500p $142.36
> Lexmark Z5171500p $149.85
> Canon ip4000 1500p $51
>
> This is not to say you can't find a used HP that takes nice sized
tanks
> that cost a reasonable price, but on the new front... after your 3rd
> ream of paper your spending $100 more for black ink. Your average
user
> will see savings after 1 year of use spending $50 to $70 more for a
> printer.
>
> It's your call.

You are really into inks in a big way and seem to know everything about
them.
I really do appreciate your giving me so much information. I've got so
much information on this NG from various people, my head is spinning
and I am not sure what printer I would get. I will have to study the
stituation more and see what I think. All printers have some good
features and not so good features. Its a matter of trade-off as to what
I am willing to trade off.

Mary

From: Mary on
"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message news:OFnYf.55247

<snip>

> I now also have an ip5000 printer for my wife. One of my i960
printers and
> two ip5000 printers were purchased new on closeouts for $100 each.
The
> ip5000's were in Staples stores on unadvertised closeouts and had no
signs
> out or demo models on the shelf. I just happened to see them in the
boxes
> stacked with the newer printers on the shelf under the demo models.
ASAP -
> take a trip to the Staples stores in your area and see if they have
any of
> these left and if they are at a closeout price. Because the demand in
> Canada is less, as you've described, you may get lucky!

It was an idea, but I was at STaples yesterday and sales guy mentioned
that all printers they have are out on display. There is a cork board in
most Staples stoere and they have tickets on them belonging to notebooks
or computers that they are selling cheaper, but haven't seen anything I
wanted there yet.

Mary

From: measekite on

Mary wrote:

>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message news:OFnYf.55247
>
><snip>
>

>>I now also have an ip5000 printer for my wife. One of my i960
>>

>printers and
>

>>two ip5000 printers were purchased new on closeouts for $100 each.
>>

>The
>

>>ip5000's were in Staples stores on unadvertised closeouts and had no
>>

>signs
>

>>out or demo models on the shelf. I just happened to see them in the
>>

>boxes
>

>>stacked with the newer printers on the shelf under the demo models.
>>

>ASAP -
>

>>take a trip to the Staples stores in your area and see if they have
>>

>any of
>

>>these left and if they are at a closeout price. Because the demand in
>>Canada is less, as you've described, you may get lucky!
>>

>It was an idea, but I was at STaples yesterday and sales guy mentioned
>that all printers they have are out on display. There is a cork board in
>most Staples stoere and they have tickets on them belonging to notebooks
>or computers that they are selling cheaper, but haven't seen anything I
>wanted there yet.
>
>Mary

SINCE YOU TALK TO BURTIE FURTIE AND SAY THE THINGS YOU SAY I THINK YOU
ARE REALLY RIPE TO GET TAKEN BY A SALES JERK THAT DID NOT GRADUATE HIGH
SCHOOL.
From: measekite on

Mary wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>This is not to say you can't find a used HP that takes nice sized
>>

>tanks
>

>>that cost a reasonable price, but on the new front... after your 3rd
>>ream of paper your spending $100 more for black ink. Your average
>>

>user
>

>>will see savings after 1 year of use spending $50 to $70 more for a
>>printer.
>>
>>It's your call.
>>

>You are really into inks in a big way and seem to know everything about
>them.
>I really do appreciate your giving me so much information. I've got so
>much information on this NG from various people, my head is spinning
>and I am not sure what printer I would get. I will have to study the
>stituation more and see what I think. All printers have some good
>features and not so good features. Its a matter of trade-off as to what

HE IS REALLY INTO POOR ADVICE
From: measekite on

Mary wrote:

>"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp(a)mvps.org> wrote in message
>

>>Future Shop isn't Canadian owned anymore. It started out privately
>>owned in Canada. Was then sold and made public but still held in
>>Canada. It is now owned by Best Buy, a US company.
>>

>Like Staples used to be Business Depot till it was bought by Staples. It
>still has Business Depot/Staples outside their stores for people
>familiar with Business Depot name. Hudsons Bay was just bought by a rich
>American guy not long ago.

THAT WAS THE TIME OF THE FRENCH AND INDIAN WAR

>They all get offers they can't refuse I
>guess.
>

>>The name has value to them, since it was built and billed as a
>>

>Canadian
>

>>company. Best Buy doesn't really want you to know or think about
>>

>Future
>

>>Shop as theirs. Lately, they have been opening up Best Buy stores
>>

>right
>

>>across the way from Future Shop, so they can "play" off one another
>>

>for
>

>>pricing.
>>

>I'm in the east end of Toronto and only one Best Buy out my way but
>about 4 Future shops, one FS a 5 min. drive from me

WHEN THERE IS NOT SNOW