From: Mary on
"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Actually, I don't know anyone who belongs to Costco though there is
one
> > not far from where I live, but not that many in Toronto area. Costco
is
> > not big here like in the States. Only a certain niche of the
population
> > go there. And they may not have the same photo paper you mention
above
> > even though its an American Co. People with children get more
benefit
> > from Costco since they sell a lot of stuff in bulk. I had a
membership
> > in it years ago, but found I never used it.
>
> The Kirkland photopaper, the 125pack of 8.5x11 is the same in Canada
> (vancouver at least), US, and Mexico (at least Merida), and almost the
> same in the UK except it's offered at a4 not letter. It's a swiss
> import, USD $20ish. Can't remember what it cost in vancouver but it
> was on par with the price US.

Are you in Vancouver?
Well, I might see about paper later, but a printer and reasonably priced
carts to go with it, is on my mind right now.

> > >The rule of thumb is - the cheaper the printer, the
> > > more expensive the ink.
>
> > I found the ip1500 had cheaper ink carts than printers you pay more
for
> > and cheaper than other brands of printers, but as you say maybe the
> > carts don't last as long. I really don't know about that.
>
> Those thimble sized tanks are double to tripple the cost per ml. The
> ip3000/4000/5000 is the middle ground between a good cost per page and
> starting investment. 25ml black pigment and 14ml color.

Do the 3000/4000 have tri color cartridges? I won't ask about the 5000
because I saw it on the site of Future shop and much too expensive for
me. I might be willing to check out the 4000 if its not individual
tanks. The 4200 is only $10.00 more than the 4000 but somebody else said
the 4200 are hard to fill

The next step
> up is something along the lines of the HP business jet 2300 which
would
> cost you USD$500 to USD$900 dependong on options, and the 4 tanks cost
> US$33.99 each, but the black is 69ml and the color is 28ml, and IIRC
> it's more efficent than canon in terms of ml per page. Note double
the
> volume but less than double the cost. A great deal but most people
are
> not hip to spending so much they won't see any savings till after a
few
> years of use.

I'm complaining that $129.00 Can. is too much money, so an HP business
jet would definitely be out of my league :) It might be practical in an
office, but not for an average persons home use.

Mary

From: zakezuke on
> Yes, it would cost more - thats no good. I wonder why they did that when
> the ip1500 has tri color carts. Don't some other manufacturers such as
> Lexmark have mainly or only head on carts? Just wondered - is Canon the
> best printer to get? or are there other brands just as good? High on my
> requirements is a printer that takes carts that are not too expensive,
> though all of them are, but the least or close to it and one that has
> available compatibles.

The last time I worked out the math, the base Lexmarks offered ink
somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000/Galon US, vs $3000 to $5000.

Canon offers a really general purpose printer. I prefer the Epsons for
photos in many ways, but I find thier cheaper models to be too fickle.
HP makes some nice rock solid printers and if it wasn't for CD printing
i'd probally still be buying HPs.

For compatables... Canon is good, followed by Epson. Note new canons
have no compatable cartridges on the market *yet*, the ip4000 was the
last one that didn't have a fancy chip onboard. Epsons also have chips
but this is not an issue.

> The thing I liked about the ip1500 it has a printhead you could take out
> if needing cleaned, and just had to buy carts and also the carts were
> cheaper than most other printers.

Not an option at all with epson, though cleaning in the printer is an
option. I haven't used the new HPs.

> And it printed photos good enough for
> me. It was cheap to buy but I found it satisfactory for my purposes.
> Other people may like to get really good printers but I am happy with a
> cheaper printer as long as it works fine for me.

There is nothing at all wrong with wanting to spend little money on a
printer, esp since for photos as you said before you can go to walmart.
The problem is the divide between the el cheepo printer cost per page
and the base consumer model cost per page has gotten higher, and your
class of printer is no longer made. That leaves you with the choice of
getting a new head, which is a legit option since you are happy with
it, or getting another printer. The ip3000 and ip4000 were the
cheapest models you could buy which offered the best cost per page for
text, and did great photos and a resonable cost per page, and were
among the most easy to refill and have a ton of aftermarket cartridges
on the market.

The only other option is buying a used printer, which is from what I
can tell the only way you'll find a printer that'll take the bci-24
series of cartridges, which may require that $50 head and has some
dampness in the diaper.

From: Burt on

"Mary" <no(a)japamjunk.com> wrote in message
> "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > I found the ip1500 had cheaper ink carts than printers you pay more
> for
>> > and cheaper than other brands of printers, but as you say maybe the
>> > carts don't last as long. I really don't know about that.
>>
>> Those thimble sized tanks are double to tripple the cost per ml. The
>> ip3000/4000/5000 is the middle ground between a good cost per page and
>> starting investment. 25ml black pigment and 14ml color.
>
> Do the 3000/4000 have tri color cartridges? I won't ask about the 5000
> because I saw it on the site of Future shop and much too expensive for
> me. I might be willing to check out the 4000 if its not individual
> tanks. The 4200 is only $10.00 more than the 4000 but somebody else said
> the 4200 are hard to fill

The ip4000 has separate carts with much greater volume of ink than the
ip1500 carts. It also has a removable printhead. As Zakezuke explained,
your cost per page with the ip4000 is much cheaper than with the ip1500, and
you can purchase aftermarket carts or bulk ink on line to really cut your
cost down. Be sure, however, to get advice from someone who has used these
products and not just buy something that wasn't recommended. That's why I
gave you the two links to follow up on if you want to go in that direction.
The ip1600 has no aftermarket carts and has the printhead integrated into
the cart. The ip4200 now has carts with computer chips built in. There are
currently aftermarket inks coming into the marketplace but no aftermarket
carts. The Canon OEM carts in the ip4200 can be refilled , but you then
lose the "new, improved" ink monitoring system that the chips are ostensibly
built in to provide. We all suspect that the ink monitoring these chipped
carts do best is the ka-ching the cash register makes when you are forced to
buy OEM canon carts for these new printers.

I used to have an Epson printer with a tri-color cart and a black cart. I
must say, that my costs went down considerably when I switched to the canon
i960, an excellent photo printer. The ip4000 or ip5000, more general
purpose in nature, would be even more economical to operate as the i960 has
six carts, including light magenta and light cyan. These light colors are
used much more rapidly - by a ratio of three to one for the other carts.
Nonetheless, refilling my own carts has reduced my ink cost to around 10% of
OEM Canon inks. Using prefilled carts mentioned in my earlier posts for the
ip4000 would reduce ink costs to about 25% of OEM carts for this printer,
and the savings per page would be even more than your ip1500 due to the
disparity of ink volume between the tricolor cart and the individual bci-6
carts.

I now also have an ip5000 printer for my wife. One of my i960 printers and
two ip5000 printers were purchased new on closeouts for $100 each. The
ip5000's were in Staples stores on unadvertised closeouts and had no signs
out or demo models on the shelf. I just happened to see them in the boxes
stacked with the newer printers on the shelf under the demo models. ASAP -
take a trip to the Staples stores in your area and see if they have any of
these left and if they are at a closeout price. Because the demand in
Canada is less, as you've described, you may get lucky!

From: Mary on
> > Yes, it would cost more - thats no good. I wonder why they did that
when
> > the ip1500 has tri color carts. Don't some other manufacturers such
as
> > Lexmark have mainly or only head on carts? Just wondered - is Canon
the
> > best printer to get? or are there other brands just as good? High on
my
> > requirements is a printer that takes carts that are not too
expensive,
> > though all of them are, but the least or close to it and one that
has
> > available compatibles.
>
> The last time I worked out the math, the base Lexmarks offered ink
> somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000/Galon US, vs $3000 to $5000.

Is that very expensive?

> Canon offers a really general purpose printer. I prefer the Epsons
for
> photos in many ways, but I find thier cheaper models to be too fickle.
> HP makes some nice rock solid printers and if it wasn't for CD
printing
> i'd probally still be buying HPs.

Any HP models you know of that are not too expensive but quite good and
have reasonably priced carts? I prefer tri color carts. They are more
convenient. If I stop priting photos so much, I won't be using up as
much ink and don't want to bother with separate ink carts.

Mary

From: zakezuke on
> Any HP models you know of that are not too expensive but quite good and
> have reasonably priced carts? I prefer tri color carts. They are more
> convenient. If I stop priting photos so much, I won't be using up as
> much ink and don't want to bother with separate ink carts.

I'm a froogle person, so I don't know the sub $100 market for printers
very well.

All prices canadian

Under $100 you have the hp 3845 for CDN $50
8ml Black HP 27 $28.63 $3.50/ml 220pages 13c/page
HP 28 $33.62 190 pages 17c/page
$62.25
Optional #58 photo cartridge, for spiffy photos you gotta buy "another"
cartridge that doesn't live in your printer.

For $100
HP Deskjet 5440
5ml Black #92 $19.93 210 pages 9c/page
5ml Color #93 $24.96 175 pages 14c/page
$44.89

Also under $100
Lexmark Z517 Inkjet Printer
#16 Black $39.96 400p 10c/page
#26 Color $44.96 150p 29c/page
$84.92

-or-
Canon ip4000 over $100
$130 to $150
25ml Black BCI-3e - $16.98 500pages 3c/page
4x14ml Color bci-6 -$17.96 280 pages Somewhere between 19c/page and
24c/page
$88.82

-------

Yes, there are tri-color cartridge options. Head on the cartridge
type. Color is harder to calculate but without a doubt you'll end up
spending triple the cost per page for black. Plus aftermarket ink will
be more spendy on this type.

OEM ink

Black text, 5% yield.
hp 3845 1500p $195.20
hp 5440 1500p $142.36
Lexmark Z5171500p $149.85
Canon ip4000 1500p $51

This is not to say you can't find a used HP that takes nice sized tanks
that cost a reasonable price, but on the new front... after your 3rd
ream of paper your spending $100 more for black ink. Your average user
will see savings after 1 year of use spending $50 to $70 more for a
printer.

It's your call.