From: measekite on

Mary wrote:

>"Gary Tait" <classicsat(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>"Mary" <no(a)japamjunk.com> wrote in news:e0qbbh$3fb$1(a)emma.aioe.org:
>>

>>>I thought my iP 1500 was a previous generation?
>>>

>>It is. The lower end of the Canon lines use tri-color carts, rather
>>

>than
>

>>individual carts. The only change in the bottom of the new line (the
>>

>1600),
>

>>is that they have switched to Head-ON-Carts, which means no
>>

>aftermarket
>

>>(for now), and even more costly carts, since you are buying a
>>

>printhead
>

>>each time.
>>

>Yes, it would cost more - thats no good. I wonder why they did that when
>the ip1500 has tri color carts. Don't some other manufacturers such as
>Lexmark

LEXMARK DOES NOT MAKE INJET PRINTERS. THEY DO MAKE INK DISPENSERS

From: measekite on

Mary wrote:

>"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>Mary wrote:
>>

>>>I'll have to see what printers are available here and go from there.
>>>

>We
>

>>>are more limited for variety of printers you have. You have 10 times
>>>

>the
>

>>>population we have, so you have more competition, which means
>>>

>cheaper
>

>>>prices, and more variety. I have 4 Staples stores not too far away
>>>

>from
>

>>>where I live, and notice that in different Staples they have some
>>>different models that other stores don't have on display. I don't
>>>

>know
>

>>>if they would have iP 5000 or not, but if iP 4000 is more than I
>>>

>want to
>

>>>pay, iP 5000 would be even more money. From my experience with
>>>

>Epson, I
>

>>>vowed never to get 4 different cartridges again. I really don't want

>>>buy carts online if I don't have to. I am not sure what I am going

>>>get yet and would have to look around. Staples in Canada have an
>>>

>online
>

>>>site and have iP 4000 advertised there but its about twice the price

>>>paid for the one I have, so I would have to pay about $60.00 Can.
>>>

>plus
>

>>>15% tax which is what we pay, so thats $80.00 Can. =$68.30 US. I
>>>

>can't
>

>>>really afford that right now, and may have to stop printing photos
>>>

>at
>

>>>home. The cartridges are too expensive, and I need to start using
>>>

>the
>

>>>Kodak machines you get at Walmart and other places.
>>>

>>Walmart is a good solid solution for photos, but I must submit in the
>>case of Canon, and usually in the case of Epson, the 4 or 5 cartridge
>>makes the best ecconomic sence.
>>

>Maybe, but going back and forth every week or two is not my idea of fun.
>I would rather put up with the three in one colors and print less
>photos. I have an allergy to buying printer cartridges.
>Must be my Scotch blood.

MAYBE IF U DRANK SOME SCOTCH YOU COULD MAKE BETTER DECISIONS.

>Seems like everybody complains about the prices
>charged. Yes, they have to make their money from cartridges, but I think
>I would rather pay more for the printer and a LOT less for cartridges.
>Just bugs me no end.

I DO NOT WANT TO PAY MORE FOR THE PRINTER BUT I DO WANT TO PAY LESS FOR
THE CARTS AND THERE IS ENOUGH PROFIT FOR BOTH

>The ip1500 and even the old bj-2100
>

>>offered thimble sized cartridges which increase your cost per page.
>>Last time I did the math it was about double the cost.
>>

>I wasn't printing many photos then, so those printers were fine for me
>and I might go back to not printing many photos again. Its getting too
>expensive.
>

>>$80 canadian for the ip4000 is a dang good deal, likely to be a

NOW YOU ARE TALKIN AND USE OEM INK TOO

From: Burt on

"Mary" <no(a)japamjunk.com> wrote in message
> "Gary Tait" <classicsat(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "Mary" <no(a)japamjunk.com> wrote in news:e0qbbh$3fb$1(a)emma.aioe.org:
>>
>> > I thought my iP 1500 was a previous generation?
>>
>> It is. The lower end of the Canon lines use tri-color carts, rather
> than
>> individual carts. The only change in the bottom of the new line (the
> 1600),
>> is that they have switched to Head-ON-Carts, which means no
> aftermarket
>> (for now), and even more costly carts, since you are buying a
> printhead
>> each time.
>
> Yes, it would cost more - thats no good. I wonder why they did that when
> the ip1500 has tri color carts. Don't some other manufacturers such as
> Lexmark have mainly or only head on carts? Just wondered - is Canon the
> best printer to get? or are there other brands just as good? High on my
> requirements is a printer that takes carts that are not too expensive,
> though all of them are, but the least or close to it and one that has
> available compatibles.
>
>> Doing the math, it would cost you nearly thrice per cart set for a
> 1600 vs
>> a 3200, so you would be even better off to go for the 3200 (or 4200).
>
> seems like it. I've never seen the 3200 so far here, but saw 4200
> advertised on STaples Canada but its a little more money than the 4000
> and unless it has much better features than the 4000, its not worth
> paying more.
>
>> But since you have that 4000 apparently available, scoop that up and
> you
>> will be golden.
>
> The 4000 is not really cheap. There are lots cheaper, and I would have
> to pay $80.00 to get it, instead of nothing or $20.00 more after I hand
> in my old printer. It might be worth it, though I would have to think
> about it. By the way, is the 4000 tri color carts? Not separate colors
> is it?
> The thing I liked about the ip1500 it has a printhead you could take out
> if needing cleaned, and just had to buy carts and also the carts were
> cheaper than most other printers. And it printed photos good enough for
> me. It was cheap to buy but I found it satisfactory for my purposes.
> Other people may like to get really good printers but I am happy with a
> cheaper printer as long as it works fine for me.
>
> Mary

Although the cost of the ip1500 carts may appear cheap to you, they are
really expensive when you figure how little ink is in them (just repeating
what Zakezuke said). The rule of thumb is - the cheaper the printer, the
more expensive the ink. With the purchase of G&G or Procolor aftermarket
carts online from Alotofthings the extra cost of the ip4000 would come back
to you many times over. I'm sorry to see that you've made up your mind
about the separate cart issue. I can also tell you that, with a little
advanced preparation, refilling isn't any harder or more messy than most of
the cooking I've done! Do you know anyone who belongs to costco and would
buy you some of the Kirkland glossy photo paper? With that paper and cheap
aftermarket ink you will beat any of the retail photo costs. With refilling
and Costco paper My 4x6 prints probably don't cost more than seven or eight
cents US. 8x10 or 8.5x11 prints probably cost me about twenty-five or
thirty cents. That's for paper (Costco) and ink (MIS bulk ink for refills)
together.

The bottom line, however, is that you have to be comfortable doing things
the way you want to. No matter what your decision, I think it's great that
you have put together the whole digital camera/computer/printer process and
are enjoying it!

From: Mary on
"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

> [...]
> > about it. By the way, is the 4000 tri color carts? Not separate
colors
> > is it?
> > The thing I liked about the ip1500 it has a printhead you could take
out
> > if needing cleaned, and just had to buy carts and also the carts
were
> > cheaper than most other printers. And it printed photos good enough
for
> > me. It was cheap to buy but I found it satisfactory for my purposes.
> > Other people may like to get really good printers but I am happy
with a
> > cheaper printer as long as it works fine for me.
> >
> > Mary
> >
> Although the cost of the ip1500 carts may appear cheap to you, they
are
> really expensive when you figure how little ink is in them (just

That may be true, but it doesn't seem so bad spending small amounts of
money at a time. If you buy a more expensive printer, you pay more for
the carts. they may last longer, but seems you lay out more money at a
time. I've enjoyed having the ip1500 and its too bad its got something
wrong with it now. I thought it would last longer. The BJC 2100 lasted 3
years and would still have lasted except the printhead was going to cost
more than the printer was worth. It was a better built printer than the
ip1500 but I liked the ip1500 OK.

>The rule of thumb is - the cheaper the printer, the
> more expensive the ink.

I found the ip1500 had cheaper ink carts than printers you pay more for
and cheaper than other brands of printers, but as you say maybe the
carts don't last as long. I really don't know about that.

>With the purchase of G&G or Procolor aftermarket
> carts online from Alotofthings the extra cost of the ip4000 would come
back
> to you many times over. I'm sorry to see that you've made up your
mind
> about the separate cart issue.

I might think about the ip4000. Is it separate color carts?

>I can also tell you that, with a little
> advanced preparation, refilling isn't any harder or more messy than
most of
> the cooking I've done!

Haha, is your cooking that messy? I would hope that refilling ink carts
would be much more messy. I've heard people try them and complain it was
too messy. Lets say I would rather not do it. I don't think I have the
right kind of patience. I have patience for some things but not others.
I just want to get a tri color cart, so would like a printer that will
take one. There must be some. I have found the ip1500 to print ok for my
purposes and the Epson I had for a year and a half put me off separate
carts..

>Do you know anyone who belongs to costco and would
> buy you some of the Kirkland glossy photo paper? With that paper and
cheap
> aftermarket ink you will beat any of the retail photo costs. With
refilling
> and Costco paper My 4x6 prints probably don't cost more than seven or
eight
> cents US. 8x10 or 8.5x11 prints probably cost me about twenty-five or
> thirty cents. That's for paper (Costco) and ink (MIS bulk ink for
refills)
> together.

Actually, I don't know anyone who belongs to Costco though there is one
not far from where I live, but not that many in Toronto area. Costco is
not big here like in the States. Only a certain niche of the population
go there. And they may not have the same photo paper you mention above
even though its an American Co. People with children get more benefit
from Costco since they sell a lot of stuff in bulk. I had a membership
in it years ago, but found I never used it.

> The bottom line, however, is that you have to be comfortable doing
things
> the way you want to. No matter what your decision, I think it's great
that
> you have put together the whole digital camera/computer/printer
process and
> are enjoying it!

I've had a computer for 16 years so its not new to me. I do all my own
upgrading. I got tired phoning my son in law :). As for the digital
camera, it took me about 5 or 6 months to get one I liked. In the
meantime I was doing a lot of research on them. Prices are higher here
than the US, escept for HP which is a reasonable price. One good thing
though, digital cameras here are often on sale and quite a few camera
stores who price match each other. Staples used to give you 150%
difference between their price and competitors, but that ended just
before I bought my camera. Now they just give 10%. I still have a lot to
learn about my camera.I got the Sony W5 and it seems fine.

I am not in a rush, since I have the extended warranty and can take the
ip1500 back, so
will go to the 4 Staples stores around me this week if I can, and see
what model printers and prices they have. It was online I saw the ip4000
but I like to see things for myself and rarely buy anything online
unless I've seen it. Their online products are not always in their
stores though, and vice versa.. So its a bit of a nuisance to go to
different Staples but the best way.

Mary

From: zakezuke on
> Actually, I don't know anyone who belongs to Costco though there is one
> not far from where I live, but not that many in Toronto area. Costco is
> not big here like in the States. Only a certain niche of the population
> go there. And they may not have the same photo paper you mention above
> even though its an American Co. People with children get more benefit
> from Costco since they sell a lot of stuff in bulk. I had a membership
> in it years ago, but found I never used it.

The Kirkland photopaper, the 125pack of 8.5x11 is the same in Canada
(vancouver at least), US, and Mexico (at least Merida), and almost the
same in the UK except it's offered at a4 not letter. It's a swiss
import, USD $20ish. Can't remember what it cost in vancouver but it
was on par with the price US.

> >The rule of thumb is - the cheaper the printer, the
> > more expensive the ink.

> I found the ip1500 had cheaper ink carts than printers you pay more for
> and cheaper than other brands of printers, but as you say maybe the
> carts don't last as long. I really don't know about that.

Those thimble sized tanks are double to tripple the cost per ml. The
ip3000/4000/5000 is the middle ground between a good cost per page and
starting investment. 25ml black pigment and 14ml color. The next step
up is something along the lines of the HP business jet 2300 which would
cost you USD$500 to USD$900 dependong on options, and the 4 tanks cost
US$33.99 each, but the black is 69ml and the color is 28ml, and IIRC
it's more efficent than canon in terms of ml per page. Note double the
volume but less than double the cost. A great deal but most people are
not hip to spending so much they won't see any savings till after a few
years of use.