From: Evenbit on

Betov wrote:
> Still not even able to write a simple Source Editor
> for the "window with a menu", that you call an IDE?

It is more usable than RosAsm.

> Also, when i claim something, i am used to provide
> _LINKS_, and _FACTS_.

http://www.geocities.com/kahlinor/HLA.html
http://www.geocities.com/kahlinor/HIDE.html

HIDE - High Level Assembler (HLA) Integrated Development Environment
(IDE)
HIDE - "... and seek"
HIDE - "Doctor Jeckel and Mister ..."
HIDE - the 'skin' that covers HLA
HIDE - {for Frank} stoneded

Nathan.

From: Betov on
"Evenbit" <nbaker2328(a)charter.net> ?crivait news:1161502046.575408.154560
@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Betov wrote:
>> Still not even able to write a simple Source Editor
>> for the "window with a menu", that you call an IDE?
>
> It is more usable than RosAsm.

???!!!... What ???!!!... The one that you did not wrote?

>> Also, when i claim something, i am used to provide
>> _LINKS_, and _FACTS_.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/kahlinor/HLA.html

Oh! You wrote HLA? I thought it was Randall Hyde who wrote
.... FASM.

:]]]]]]]

> http://www.geocities.com/kahlinor/HIDE.html

Yes. Pathetic. Anything else?

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: randyhyde@earthlink.net on

Betov wrote:

> > Well, I think you pretty much said it all. What can I say?
> > A little jealous there, aren't you?
>
> Yes. I also would like to become a great Asm Master and teacher
> so that i would be able to call an HLL Pre-Parser, written in
> HLL-VHLL... an Assembler. Indeed, i am jealous.

Apparently so.
Why else would you care so much about what I do?

> But this does not explain how it is possible to have beginners
> proposing contributions, in RosAsm Assembly, for RosAsm itself,

First of all, you may get beginners to RosAsm, but they're rarely
beginners to assembly. (a) you have a habit of scaring beginners away,
even when they're interested in learning assembly with RosAsm, (b) you
have no materials suitable for learning assembly language via RosAsm,
as evidenced by (c) the few beginners who *have* made the attempt
haven't been all that impressive (e.g., Wannabee, who is still a
"beginner", by his own words, three years after "learning" assembly
language with RosAsm). Someone who already knows assembly language
(having learned it with a different assembler) that learns the RosAsm
syntax is not what I'd call a "beginner".

> instead of asking questions like the ones you have to answer to,

Yes, I actually *do* get beginners. And, yes, they ask beginner
questions. The fact that you *don't* get such questions yourself speaks
volumes about the fact that you *don't* get many beginners trying to
pick up assembly via RosAsm.

> whereas, very exactly, your HLA thingie was introduced as a tool
> specificaly devoted to beginners, and wheras RosAsm never was
> targeting any beginner at all. Miracle, clown?

And you are surprised? Yes, beginners *are* learning assembly language
programming via HLA. And yes, as one would expect, they ask beginning
questions. If you're not getting those same sorts of questions asked
with RosAsm, that simply means that you're not getting many beginners.
You should not infer from the lack of such questions that the beginners
are simply figuring everything out for themselves and RosAsm is a great
tool for beginners as a result. Time for a reality check, Rene.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: randyhyde@earthlink.net on

Betov wrote:

> I did not invent the words "Macro-Assembler", minion.
>
> Fact is that, as soon as the HLLisms are hidden inside a tool,

The fact is, you *still* don't know the difference between a language
and an implementation of a language. Implmenting a language feature via
a macro or via some C code is irrelevant to the person using that
language.

> this is _BY DEFINITION_ an HLL,

No, that is not the definition of a HLL.
Any abstraction above the level of a single machine instruction, be it
implemented via macro, within the compiler, via a preprocessor, or any
other mechanism you can come up with, is higher level than assembly
language (where "assembly" here refers to machine instructions). So the
HLL you've implemented with macros is definitely higher-level than
machine language, hence it is a HLL. Period.

> and that when the exact same
> thing is achieved, by the user, through Macros, in Assembly,
> this is called Macro-Assembly.

Call it whatever you want. We already know that you don't know enough
about language design to have an informed opinion on the subject.

And what does it matter whether those "macros" are predefined or
user-defined? Either way, you're using abstract high-level statements
in your assembly source code. And that's higher level than machine
instructions.

> The only ones, here, who crually NEED to twist any defintion
> of what is what, are the HLA defenders, who want to call their
> HLL Pre-Parser an Assembler.

No, you seem to be the one who needs to twist the definition around in
order to satisfy your argument that HLA is *not* an assembly language.
The fact that you also claim that MASM is not an assembly language, for
the same reason, simply demonstrates how out of touch with reality you
are.

> Nothing else. From that point on,
> arase, _FASM_ from your HLA folder, and explain me what HLA is
> doing for you.

Again, you fail to understand the difference between the language and
an implementation of the language.

> Then, i will explain to you the reverse, that is,
> i arase everything in your HLA folder, but FASM, and i will show
> you what people can do with it.

One thing you cannot do is program in the HLA assembly language at that
point.

> By the way, do you simply know
> what the FASM Macros System is able to do? Do you really believe
> that your HLA thingie could ever try to compete with this? Are
> you that stupid?

Exactly what can the FASM Macro System do that HLA can't compete with?
As you don't know HLA, particularly HLA's macro system, you're not
really in a position to make such a statement, are you?

Congrats, by the way, that you've finally learned enough about FASM's
macro facilities to realize that it is much more powerful than
RosAsm's. Maybe someday, you'll learn enough about HLA's macro system
to realize that it's about as more powerful than FASM's as FASM's is
more powerful than RosAsm's.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: Frank Kotler on
Evenbit wrote:

> While we are on the subject of nipples,

TMA got nipples? No matter - nipples are always on-topic!

> I wonder where the lower
> portion of this character file is:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~fbkotler/annie2.jpg

Annie made me promise not to post those. Herbert posted an essay on the
topic "assembly language is a language that *shows*" on this newsgroup -
01/01/03 in the thread "new newsgroup queen"... I recall another from
Herbert that addressed the question "pink or brown", too, but I can't
find that now... I'll post the Linux port if and when...

(FWIW, Herbert's "binary in a batch file" isn't working well in dosemu...)

> Does hint of those beepers make you slobber too? :)

Evidence of how symbol-oriented the human mind is, that we can become
physically aroused by ascii text!

Best,
Frank

P.S. Re: character file. What's the newline doing in your "binary" file???