From: Hot-text on
This my still exist on the world-wide UseNet
But not under the name of Microsoft public
and you going to server the newsgroups so that can reserve @ UseNet
I can see it Now nntp://Guy.com Microsoft public security virus
HMM Yes with no [MS MVP] to run it for you ,, << that will make you the
Biggest LOOL. in all of UseNet!

From: David Kaye on
Whether or not Microsoft discontinues their hierarchy of newsgroups the
unmoderated ones (which I assume is all of them) will continue to propagate
worldwide as long as people post to them and there are other servers that will
transport the messages. I'm sure Google Groups will continue, as will
Giganews, Eternal September, etc.

From: David Kaye on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>But... Can possibly send a control message to remove them.

A lot of news servers ignore control messages these days.

From: Leythos on
In article <0212B956-BEC3-42D5-B423-36BA244B7A86(a)microsoft.com>, hot-
text(a)hotmail.com says...
> in time MS will move to Forums provide a healthy community environment with
> less spam and make answers easier to find by customers and a PV Chat for
> community discussions groups Too!

From all I've seen of the forums, they are harder to use, contain less
users, have a terrible interface...

Usenet has been plagued by trolls and spammers for decades, in fact, I
think the first troll started about 4 years after Usenet went public, if
I can remember back that far. Trolls are easy to deal with, it's the
idiots that use Usenet like they are using email and that use web
interfaces to Usenet that cause the most problems.

Trust yourself.
From: ~BD~ on
Peter Foldes wrote:
> Date 5/4/2010
> Starting in early summer 2010, Microsoft will begin progressively
> closing down the Microsoft public newsgroups to enrich conversations in
> the rapidly-growing forum platform. This decision is in response to
> worldwide market trends and evolving customer needs.
>
> Microsoft continues to invest in forums to reduce customer effort,
> consolidate community venues and make it easier for active contributors
> to retain their influence. Forums provide a healthy community
> environment with less spam and make answers easier to find by customers
> and search engines. Additionally, forums offer a better user and
> off-topic management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by
> facilitating discussions in a clean space.
>
> We understand that some newsgroups are still active, and important to
> the community. In the coming days and weeks, we will be rolling out
> tools and resources to minimize disruption to the community discussions.
>
> We are working diligently on providing additional resources and
> information in local languages later this week. In the meantime, please
> refer to the official Microsoft Newsgroup website
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx concerning
> this issue. The Microsoft Newsgroup website will be made available in
> additional languages in the next few days.

What *will* you do with all that extra time, Peter? ;-)