From: MEB on
On 05/29/2010 02:55 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "MEB" <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com>
>
> | On 05/29/2010 02:35 PM, Leythos wrote:
>>> In article <#Z62g$s$KHA.1068(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, MEB-not-
>>> here(a)hotmail.com says...
>

>>> Sorry, you're wrong.
>
>>> MS only owns the groups that reside on MS's own hardware/network, all
>>> others (as in every other server that contains them) are the property
>>> and domain of the company that runs that usenet server.
>

> | Sorry your entirely wrong. Since any other "vendors", "companies" or
> | other, even individual users are BOUND by Microsoft's allowance of
> | usage, any other usage is illegal.
>
> No, not true at all!
>
> Take the Adobe.* hierarchy. Adobe did they same thing to Usenet more thn a year ago.
> First Adobe made it a unidirectional feed to Usenet. Then in 2009 they cut all ties to
> Usenet. Yet, the Adobe.* Usenet hierachy lives on.

Not a good argument.
What Adobe did has no relevance to what Microsoft does and has done,
which includes the legal notice to close these groups. THAT and
Microsoft's documents and applicable Law are what control this/these
issues, and the Law and Microsoft say close the groups Microsoft OWNS.

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
From: Geoff on
On Fri, 28 May 2010 21:40:09 -0400, MEB <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

> The Notice and everything else applying to usage, deals with and
>defines the public's ability to use any of Microsoft's property. These
>groups, the hierarchy, and presentation are Microsoft's property.

This is only true if you are using the Microsoft news servers or the
Microsoft web forums. I am not even sure they can claim property
rights over the content that other people write, since regardless of
any TOU, the legal copyright holder of ANY written work is the author
at the moment of creation unless it was created as a "work for hire"
and their must be a consideration for this to be true and "use of the
forums" is arguably not consideration (money).

The simple fact is the change in policy will terminate the Microsoft
news servers in favor of their lame forums. What happens in the rest
of Usenet is not controllable by Microsoft. If the news servers on the
rest of the planet want to continue to provide these groups and if the
users continue to post articles in the groups is up to them, not
Microsoft.
From: Geoff on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 14:43:23 -0400, MEB <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Sorry your entirely wrong.

A real lawyer would know the difference between "your" and "you're".
From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"MEB" <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 05/29/2010 02:35 PM, Leythos wrote:
>> In article <#Z62g$s$KHA.1068(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, MEB-not-
>> here(a)hotmail.com says...
>>> The Notice and everything else applying to usage, deals with and
>>> defines the public's ability to use any of Microsoft's property.
>>> These
>>> groups, the hierarchy, and presentation are Microsoft's property.
>>>

>> Sorry, you're wrong.
>>
>> MS only owns the groups that reside on MS's own hardware/network, all
>> others (as in every other server that contains them) are the property
>> and domain of the company that runs that usenet server.
>>

> Sorry your entirely wrong. Since any other "vendors", "companies" or
> other, even individual users are BOUND by Microsoft's allowance of
> usage, any other usage is illegal.

They can do what they will with their own servers. Once they peered with
usenet at large, they lost any hopes of controlling content usage.
Usenet being 'in the cloud' as it were, and the way things are stored
and propagated. They can control their "web access to newsgroups"
thingy, but not the groups themselves. Microsoft's IIS NNTP service and
the microsoft groups are not the same thing as usenet.

....and it's "you're" not "your"... Mr. wordsmith.

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"Geoff" <geoff(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 May 2010 14:43:23 -0400, MEB <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Sorry your entirely wrong.
>
> A real lawyer would know the difference between "your" and "you're".

It's a good thing he doesn't teach English, eh? :op <BEG>