From: Antioch on

"Max Wachtel" <maxpro4u(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> ms will start to remove all newsgroups from their servers.
>
> it has been a good run.........
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20004109-56.htm
> --
> This message was created using SeaMonkey Portable.
> http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/seamonkey_portable
> Virus Removal Instructions
> http://sites.google.com/site/keepingwindowsclean/home
> Max's Favorite Freeware
> http://sites.google.com/site/keepingwindowsclean/freeware

For me, this is a step backwards - the same thing has just happened with
myIP/ISP - said the newsgroups were not popular, but that was because it was
so difficult to find the groups on their web site. If somebody didnt tell
you they existed you would not know. All help etc was directed to the
'forum'. A bit like MS not clearly indicating they had newsgroups - it was
only through help from an MVP that I found they existed. Also, there are
the normal probs with slow paging/time-outs etc due to a crxp web site.
The help now is almost non-existant - most of the IP/ISP techs seem to have
disappeared - 70% problems dont get answered - most of the non-IP/ISP
helpers are not in the forums either.
So if the MS newsgroups are going to disappear, then perhaps the only
difference will be that one's probs will get a reply from an MS Tech plus I
would hope, all the WVP and other good helpers.
Will we be using the current web based discussion groups or will the service
be new. If its the old, then god help us.

R.I.P Newsgroups.

From: VanguardLH on
MEB wrote:

> What does Microsoft's closure have to do with Usenet {use net}?

That many posters have alluded or outright claimed that the microsoft.*
newsgroups must disappear simply because Microsoft chooses to kill their
own particular NNTP server.

> See TOU [note that this part posted here is allowed specifically
> elsewhere in Microsoft's materials AND by following that and applicable
> Law]:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/en/us/IntellectualProperty/Copyright/Default.aspx
>
> "ACCEPTANCE OF TERMS.
>
> DESCRIPTION OF SERVICES.
>
> PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE LIMITATION.
> "Unless otherwise specified, the Services are for your personal and
> non-commercial use. You may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit,
> display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works
> from, transfer, or sell any information, software, products or services
> obtained from the Services.""

All of which deal with *Microsoft's* services. Microsoft doesn't own
Usenet nor the services of all other NSPs. It is not a copyright or
trademark infringment to use Microsoft's company name or their product
names as titles for books, news articles, or even for newsgroup names.
No ones needs Microsoft's permission to talk about Microsoft.
From: MEB on
On 05/28/2010 08:40 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> MEB wrote:
>
>> What does Microsoft's closure have to do with Usenet {use net}?
>
> That many posters have alluded or outright claimed that the microsoft.*
> newsgroups must disappear simply because Microsoft chooses to kill their
> own particular NNTP server.
>
>> See TOU [note that this part posted here is allowed specifically
>> elsewhere in Microsoft's materials AND by following that and applicable
>> Law]:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/en/us/IntellectualProperty/Copyright/Default.aspx
>>
>> "ACCEPTANCE OF TERMS.
>>
>> DESCRIPTION OF SERVICES.
>>
>> PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE LIMITATION.
>> "Unless otherwise specified, the Services are for your personal and
>> non-commercial use. You may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit,
>> display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works
>> from, transfer, or sell any information, software, products or services
>> obtained from the Services.""
>
> All of which deal with *Microsoft's* services. Microsoft doesn't own
> Usenet nor the services of all other NSPs. It is not a copyright or
> trademark infringment to use Microsoft's company name or their product
> names as titles for books, news articles, or even for newsgroup names.
> No ones needs Microsoft's permission to talk about Microsoft.

No, and entirely baseless as an argument.
The Notice and everything else applying to usage, deals with and
defines the public's ability to use any of Microsoft's property. These
groups, the hierarchy, and presentation are Microsoft's property.
Usenet has no authority or right to them; you, personally, have ONLY
those usage rights as Microsoft has defined; no one has any right to
them EXCEPT as has been defined by Microsoft. That is the Law.

What part of *Intellectual Property* and *Copyright*, and *Terms of
Use* are you having difficulty with...any usage outside of the defined
constraints is (a) civil and/or criminal violation of the Laws, unless
otherwise authorized BY Microsoft. Microsoft has no documents which
indicate any external usage or ability to use this particular property
in any other fashion.

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
From: MEB on
On 05/28/2010 09:40 PM, MEB wrote:
> On 05/28/2010 08:40 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> MEB wrote:
>>
>>> What does Microsoft's closure have to do with Usenet {use net}?
>>
>> That many posters have alluded or outright claimed that the microsoft.*
>> newsgroups must disappear simply because Microsoft chooses to kill their
>> own particular NNTP server.
>>
>>> See TOU [note that this part posted here is allowed specifically
>>> elsewhere in Microsoft's materials AND by following that and applicable
>>> Law]:
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/en/us/IntellectualProperty/Copyright/Default.aspx
>>>
>>> "ACCEPTANCE OF TERMS.
>>>
>>> DESCRIPTION OF SERVICES.
>>>
>>> PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE LIMITATION.
>>> "Unless otherwise specified, the Services are for your personal and
>>> non-commercial use. You may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit,
>>> display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works
>>> from, transfer, or sell any information, software, products or services
>>> obtained from the Services.""
>>
>> All of which deal with *Microsoft's* services. Microsoft doesn't own
>> Usenet nor the services of all other NSPs. It is not a copyright or
>> trademark infringment to use Microsoft's company name or their product
>> names as titles for books, news articles, or even for newsgroup names.
>> No ones needs Microsoft's permission to talk about Microsoft.
>
> No, and entirely baseless as an argument.
> The Notice and everything else applying to usage, deals with and
> defines the public's ability to use any of Microsoft's property. These
> groups, the hierarchy, and presentation are Microsoft's property.
> Usenet has no authority or right to them; you, personally, have ONLY
> those usage rights as Microsoft has defined; no one has any right to
> them EXCEPT as has been defined by Microsoft. That is the Law.
>
> What part of *Intellectual Property* and *Copyright*, and *Terms of
> Use* are you having difficulty with...any usage outside of the defined
> constraints is (a) civil and/or criminal violation of the Laws, unless
> otherwise authorized BY Microsoft. Microsoft has no documents which
> indicate any external usage or ability to use this particular property
> in any other fashion.

Let me make that a bit clearer, the "rights" are actually defined
*allowances*, any other usage is NOT allowed.

From: VanguardLH on
MEB wrote:

> The Notice and everything else applying to usage, deals with and
> defines the public's ability to use any of Microsoft's property. These
> groups, the hierarchy, and presentation are Microsoft's property.

Been only a short time since Microsoft let you out of their special
training cave. The newsgroups are NOT Microsoft's property. If
anything, the property remains that of the authors who submitted the
posts and none of those came from Microsoft. Sorry, but Microsoft
doesn't get to claim the content of those newsgroups is their property
on resources owned by others, including myself for my copies of those
posts.

Perhaps YOU should go back and read that article. It only refers to
resources owned by Microsoft and referred to as the "services". You can
try to scare all the noobs all you want with your claim of expertise as
a lawyer. No one believes you. Good by wannabe Microsoft lawyer.