From: Bill Graham on

"Allen" <allent(a)austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> Tim Conway wrote:
>

>> Interesting about the Green Herons. I never really considered eating
>> them. hmmm
>> My guess about the vultures is that someone tried them sometime and they
>> tasted so bad that it was quickly forgotten and hushed up. LOL. The idea
>> itself is kinda repulsive - except for the ones like you said that eat
>> the live fish. You'd think they would taste fishy, like some ducks that
>> eat mostly fish.
>>

> In my part of the world they would probably taste like armadillos. For
> appetizers, some could be selected that taste like squirrel. Bur who wants
> anything that tastes like squirrel or (especially) armadillo?
> Allen

Few animals taste like whatever it is they eat.....Cows don't taste like
grass. (for example)

From: Bill Graham on

"Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Allen" <allent(a)austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Tim Conway wrote:
>>

>>> Interesting about the Green Herons. I never really considered eating
>>> them. hmmm
>>> My guess about the vultures is that someone tried them sometime and they
>>> tasted so bad that it was quickly forgotten and hushed up. LOL. The
>>> idea itself is kinda repulsive - except for the ones like you said that
>>> eat the live fish. You'd think they would taste fishy, like some ducks
>>> that eat mostly fish.
>>>

>> In my part of the world they would probably taste like armadillos. For
>> appetizers, some could be selected that taste like squirrel. Bur who
>> wants anything that tastes like squirrel or (especially) armadillo?
>
> In PA some people eat squirrel pot pie. Not me. I never tasted it but
> they're like rats to me, not appetizing at all.

They are tree rats.....I wouldn't eat one unless I was starving and didn't
have anything else.....Possums either......

From: Peter on
"Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Henry Olson" <henryolson(a)nospam.org> wrote in message

>> When living in remote areas of the Everglades for many months I often
>> wondered why there's no recipes for Vultures. Some of them would browse
>> not
>> more than a few feet from where I would sit at my campsite. It would be
>> easy to just reach out and grab their necks. Locals claimed the reason
>> was
>> that vultures only eat carrion and this would make them unfit for human
>> consumption. Yet I have photographic proof that they eat live fish most
>> of
>> the morning. Catching them just like any crane or other wading bird.
>> There's lots of animals that we use for food that only eat dead things.
>> In
>> fact humans themselves are mostly carrion eaters (aside from the few that
>> relish sashimi, sushi, and tartare recipes). Why are Vultures off the
>> table? When back in civilization I searched the net for Vulture recipes,
>> but the only thing I found was joke recipes. Has nobody ever tried them?
>> Where they are plentiful I'd think they'd be a better source of holiday
>> dinners than turkeys. They're about the same size with huge
>> flight-muscles.
>>

>> p.s. For the record, when I asked locals what unusual odd green colored
>> wading birds were (Green Herons in breeding plumage, which I never saw
>> that
>> brightly colored before) they told me they called them "Steak Birds",
>> because they taste just like steak.
>
> Somebody told me that emu's taste just like steak......I didn't believe it
> then, but now that you told me this, I am not so sure anymore.....(Two
> references have a lot more power than just one....)
Uhm! Green herons are not emus. there is a small difference in size and
flying ability.

--
Peter

From: Bill Graham on

> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 11:11:26 -0400, "Tim Conway"
>> <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>>"Henry Olson" <henryolson(a)nospam.org> wrote in message

>>>I agree that we are conditioned by our culture as to what we like or find
>>>distasteful. Take gorgonzola cheese for example, I like it but I've
>>>heard
>>>the Chinese find it offensive - even cheese in general. Why one person
>>>will
>>>eat oysters, shrimp, clams, etc. but avoid eel in sushi is another
>>>example.
>>>I've eaten alligator in a stew at Flo's Place in Murrell's Inlet, SC. It
>>>was really good. (I wish I could get back there again sometime...)
>>>

>> Gator, which is on the menu in many places around here, is not
>> particularly tasty. What makes it tasty is the way that it is
>> prepared. What you liked were the breading, the spices, or something
>> else about the way it was prepared.
>>
>> Unlike beef, you can't just slap a cut of gator on the bbq and expect
>> it to be good without some seasoning.
>>
> That's true. It was a highly seasoned dish with smoked sausage in it too.
> They had gator ribs there too, but it mostly was a novelty, for tourists,
> as there was very little meat on them. They had a delicious sauce on them
> though. It *is* a very mild flavored meat.

Probably tastes like chicken....:^)

From: Bill Graham on

> "Henry Olson" <henryolson(a)nospam.org> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 05:23:35 -0400, "Tim Conway"
>> <tconway_113(a)comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Allen" <allent(a)austin.rr.com> wrote in message

>> What you state is based on speculation and unfounded stories. Until
>> someone
>> actually tries vulture, has others compare the flavor in a blind
>> taste-test, you're just passing on more stories. What I don't get is how
>> people can look at a turkey and perceive it as wonderful food; yet see a
>> turkey-vulture appearing just as odd as a turkey, actually less odd
>> looking, and be disgusted by it.

>>>In PA some people eat squirrel pot pie. Not me. I never tasted it but
>>>they're like rats to me, not appetizing at all.
>>
>> It's just social conditioning that makes you choose some foods and reject
>> others.
>>
>> Roasted squirrel on a barbeque is actually quite good. People also relish
>> frog's-legs in fine dining establishments. I too have eaten frog's-legs
>> on
>> quite a few occasions, they make for an excellent meal. Alligator is also
>> delicious when cooked properly. I liken it to the best scallops I've ever
>> had, without that sickly-sweet flavor that scallops can sometimes have.
>> Alligators eat carrion as well for a large part of their diet.
>>
>> Now take Ling Cod for a good example of how social conditioning changes
>> people's perceptions. Considered one of the best food-fishes in most
>> every
>> area where it is found. But in portions of the north-central USA it is
>> called the "Eel-pout" and is considered a trash fish. They even have
>> winter
>> fishing contests to see who can catch the biggest one so they can destroy
>> them all. Anyone in that region who eats it is considered fool-hardy and
>> ridiculous.
>>
>> The only conclusion that can be reached by this is that the majority of
>> people living in that area of the world are rather dim-witted, foolish,
>> and
>> wasteful.
>>
> I agree that we are conditioned by our culture as to what we like or find
> distasteful. Take gorgonzola cheese for example, I like it but I've heard
> the Chinese find it offensive - even cheese in general. Why one person
> will eat oysters, shrimp, clams, etc. but avoid eel in sushi is another
> example. I've eaten alligator in a stew at Flo's Place in Murrell's Inlet,
> SC. It was really good. (I wish I could get back there again
> sometime...)

I ate turtle soup in a restaurant in Louisiana when I was a kid....It was
delicious. But I haven't seen it here in the North, so I haven't eaten it
again.