From: Bill Graham on

"Tzortzakakis Dimitris" <noone(a)nospam.com> wrote in message

> � "krishnananda" <krishna(a)divine-life.in.invalid> ������ ��� ������
>> In article <hv282t$61a$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
>> "Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> "Allen" <allent(a)austin.rr.com> wrote in message

>>> In PA some people eat squirrel pot pie. Not me. I never tasted it but
>>> they're like rats to me, not appetizing at all.
>>
>> My wife's grandmother's church cookbook (also in PA) had a wonderful
>> recipe for Field Mouse Pie.
>>
>> Started out "Take five or six plump field mice" -- and once I realized
>> that meant _whole_ mice, that's as far as I got.
> And how would you get 5 mice, if not hiring a cat to catch them? My tomcat
> Timoleon, brought me once a mice he had caught,obviously thinking that it
> was a good treat (for me). He even ate its tail in front of me. But, I've
> heard that Italians, during WWII in Greece, were eating cats. But, of
> course, they have a very tough flesh, and they needed to be cooked for
> days. I don't know if that's true or an urban legend.

Back in the 50's, when I was in the Navy, I was wandering around the back
alleys of Hong Kong, and I went in a small restaurant there and ordered the
most expensive thing on the menu. It looked like chicken, and I ate it over
a bed of rice. When I left, there was an old man by the entrance who said
something to me in English, so I asked him what I ate.....He looked at the
menu, and said, "Cat".

From: Henry Olson on
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 15:01:53 -0700, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]
>> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>>>Gator, which is on the menu in many places around here, is not
>>>particularly tasty. What makes it tasty is the way that it is
>>>prepared. What you liked were the breading, the spices, or something
>>>else about the way it was prepared.
>>>
>>>Unlike beef, you can't just slap a cut of gator on the bbq and expect
>>>it to be good without some seasoning.
>>
>> A little salt & pepper is about all it needs, any other spices or sauces
>> your liking. The best spice-blend of all goes by the name of "Everglades
>> Seasoning". Pricey to find it online but it's fantastic for all freshwater
>> fish and seafoods from that region, gator as well. I wish I had bought a
>> half-case of it while living there. It's cheap on the store-shelves. Too
>> bad you've never had alligator cooked properly. It can't be overcooked,
>> then it gets tough in an instant. This is why most people don't like it,
>> improper cooking, not because of any flavor problems. I brought a nice 4
>> lb. slab of gator tail back from the Everglades for a wild-game barbeque a
>> friend was hosting up north. With proper instruction for him to cook it
>> right, it was a hit with everyone. All it had on it was a light coating of
>> flour, salt, and pepper, then lightly fried. Not even enough to consider
>> it
>> a "breading". The flour is just so it won't stick in the pan. I also
>> wouldn't consider any of that to greatly change its flavor. The gator
>> platter emptied in minutes, not a speck of it was left. People just kept
>> asking, "Is there any more gator?" It disappeared before anyone tried any
>> of the other wild-game meats. There was lots of bear, moose, and elk left
>> to still keep them eating though.
>>
>> Steak without a pinch of salt and pepper is bland too. I guess all those
>> store-shelves of meat-rubs, sauces, and glazes made for steaks and other
>> cuts of beef are because it tastes so wonderful just the way it is without
>> anything added. Personally, I find that a nice coating of minced garlic, a
>> dusting of Lawry's seasoning, and a sprinkling of teriyaki sauce (in that
>> order) about the most perfect (and easy) flavor-combo to put on a steak
>> before you cook it. (Pierce the steak liberally with a fork after
>> seasoning
>> so the teriyaki sauce drips the garlic juice and Lawry's deeper into the
>> cut of meat. Otherwise most of the flavors end up in the pan or coals when
>> you turn the steak over.)
>>

>Try soaking it in teriyaki sauce overnight before cooking it....Appleby's
>ships it in a plastic bag soaking in teriyaki sauce to their restaurants.
>You can soak chicken thighs in teriyaki sauce overnight before cooking them
>too.....Great when served over noodles or rice.......I make my own teriyaki
>sauce.....1/4 soya sauce, 1/4 wine, 1/4 water, and 1/4 sugar. Adding some
>onion and garlic doesn't hurt either......It is one of my favorite
>spices......I also add a couple of jalapenos.........

Fresh ginger, and the garlic, are requirements in teriyaki to make it
"teriyaki". (Hint 1: fresh ginger spoils fast. Keep it in the freezer and
grate it frozen. It keeps for many months, over a year if kept tight in
plastic, and it grates even finer when frozen. Hint 2: dried chives lose
all flavor, but chopped and frozen they retain full flavor.)

From: Peter on
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:51:40 -0700, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

>> I ate turtle soup in a restaurant in Louisiana when I was a kid....It
>> was
>>delicious. But I haven't seen it here in the North, so I haven't eaten it
>>again.
>
> Snapper soup is one of the best meals. It is claimed that there are about
> 7
> different meat flavors and textures in a snapping turtle depending on
> which
> section you eat. Beef, chicken, pork, etc. flavors all from one turtle.
> You
> can't generally buy turtle soup. You have to catch your own and make it.
> As
> a kid it used to be my job to pull the turtle's neck out far enough for my
> grandmother to chop off the head. I'd take a sturdy shovel-handle. Then
> sitting down on the ground in front of the turtle I'd put one foot on
> either side of the head, feet against the shell, carefully. (These were
> large snappers, around 2 ft. across.) I'd get the turtle to bite down on
> the shovel-handle held level between my two hands. Then using my legs
> muscles to brace against the turtle, use all my arm and back strength to
> pull the neck out far enough for the hatchet to come down. Hang it off a
> tree limb by the tail for 1-2 days to bleed it out. Note: Do not play with
> the head after it has been chopped off. It's still alive for quite awhile
> and can easily take off a finger or two if you're not careful.

I like mock turtle soup.
But, my efforts to find mock turtles have not been successful.

--
Peter

From: Tim Conway on

"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
> "Henry Olson" <henryolson(a)nospam.org> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:51:40 -0700, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I ate turtle soup in a restaurant in Louisiana when I was a kid....It
>>> was
>>>delicious. But I haven't seen it here in the North, so I haven't eaten it
>>>again.
>>
>> Snapper soup is one of the best meals. It is claimed that there are about
>> 7
>> different meat flavors and textures in a snapping turtle depending on
>> which
>> section you eat. Beef, chicken, pork, etc. flavors all from one turtle.
>> You
>> can't generally buy turtle soup. You have to catch your own and make it.
>> As
>> a kid it used to be my job to pull the turtle's neck out far enough for
>> my
>> grandmother to chop off the head. I'd take a sturdy shovel-handle. Then
>> sitting down on the ground in front of the turtle I'd put one foot on
>> either side of the head, feet against the shell, carefully. (These were
>> large snappers, around 2 ft. across.) I'd get the turtle to bite down on
>> the shovel-handle held level between my two hands. Then using my legs
>> muscles to brace against the turtle, use all my arm and back strength to
>> pull the neck out far enough for the hatchet to come down. Hang it off a
>> tree limb by the tail for 1-2 days to bleed it out. Note: Do not play
>> with
>> the head after it has been chopped off. It's still alive for quite awhile
>> and can easily take off a finger or two if you're not careful.
>>

> I like mock turtle soup.
> But, my efforts to find mock turtles have not been successful.

If you stand on the shore and taunt them while they are on the log, does
that help?

From: Peter on
"Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>> "Henry Olson" <henryolson(a)nospam.org> wrote in message

>>> Snapper soup is one of the best meals. It is claimed that there are
>>> about 7
>>> different meat flavors and textures in a snapping turtle depending on
>>> which
>>> section you eat. Beef, chicken, pork, etc. flavors all from one turtle.
>>> You
>>> can't generally buy turtle soup. You have to catch your own and make it.
>>> As
>>> a kid it used to be my job to pull the turtle's neck out far enough for
>>> my
>>> grandmother to chop off the head. I'd take a sturdy shovel-handle. Then
>>> sitting down on the ground in front of the turtle I'd put one foot on
>>> either side of the head, feet against the shell, carefully. (These were
>>> large snappers, around 2 ft. across.) I'd get the turtle to bite down on
>>> the shovel-handle held level between my two hands. Then using my legs
>>> muscles to brace against the turtle, use all my arm and back strength to
>>> pull the neck out far enough for the hatchet to come down. Hang it off a
>>> tree limb by the tail for 1-2 days to bleed it out. Note: Do not play
>>> with
>>> the head after it has been chopped off. It's still alive for quite
>>> awhile
>>> and can easily take off a finger or two if you're not careful.
>>>

>> I like mock turtle soup.
>> But, my efforts to find mock turtles have not been successful.
>>
> If you stand on the shore and taunt them while they are on the log, does
> that help?

I've been interested in aquaculture. I wonder if I could find investors in a
mock turtle breeding farm. I have a suitable location. It's a mock water
column lease, 250 yds from the shore of a mock island.

--
Peter
Don't mock my idea