From: Bill Graham on

"Henry Olson" <henryolson(a)nospam.org> wrote in message
> [...]
>>>>
>>>I agree that we are conditioned by our culture as to what we like or find
>>>distasteful. Take gorgonzola cheese for example, I like it but I've
>>>heard
>>>the Chinese find it offensive - even cheese in general. Why one person
>>>will
>>>eat oysters, shrimp, clams, etc. but avoid eel in sushi is another
>>>example.
>>>I've eaten alligator in a stew at Flo's Place in Murrell's Inlet, SC. It
>>>was really good. (I wish I could get back there again sometime...)
>>>

>>Gator, which is on the menu in many places around here, is not
>>particularly tasty. What makes it tasty is the way that it is
>>prepared. What you liked were the breading, the spices, or something
>>else about the way it was prepared.
>>
>>Unlike beef, you can't just slap a cut of gator on the bbq and expect
>>it to be good without some seasoning.
>
> A little salt & pepper is about all it needs, any other spices or sauces
> your liking. The best spice-blend of all goes by the name of "Everglades
> Seasoning". Pricey to find it online but it's fantastic for all freshwater
> fish and seafoods from that region, gator as well. I wish I had bought a
> half-case of it while living there. It's cheap on the store-shelves. Too
> bad you've never had alligator cooked properly. It can't be overcooked,
> then it gets tough in an instant. This is why most people don't like it,
> improper cooking, not because of any flavor problems. I brought a nice 4
> lb. slab of gator tail back from the Everglades for a wild-game barbeque a
> friend was hosting up north. With proper instruction for him to cook it
> right, it was a hit with everyone. All it had on it was a light coating of
> flour, salt, and pepper, then lightly fried. Not even enough to consider
> it
> a "breading". The flour is just so it won't stick in the pan. I also
> wouldn't consider any of that to greatly change its flavor. The gator
> platter emptied in minutes, not a speck of it was left. People just kept
> asking, "Is there any more gator?" It disappeared before anyone tried any
> of the other wild-game meats. There was lots of bear, moose, and elk left
> to still keep them eating though.
>
> Steak without a pinch of salt and pepper is bland too. I guess all those
> store-shelves of meat-rubs, sauces, and glazes made for steaks and other
> cuts of beef are because it tastes so wonderful just the way it is without
> anything added. Personally, I find that a nice coating of minced garlic, a
> dusting of Lawry's seasoning, and a sprinkling of teriyaki sauce (in that
> order) about the most perfect (and easy) flavor-combo to put on a steak
> before you cook it. (Pierce the steak liberally with a fork after
> seasoning
> so the teriyaki sauce drips the garlic juice and Lawry's deeper into the
> cut of meat. Otherwise most of the flavors end up in the pan or coals when

Try soaking it in teriyaki sauce overnight before cooking it....Appleby's
ships it in a plastic bag soaking in teriyaki sauce to their restaurants.
You can soak chicken thighs in teriyaki sauce overnight before cooking them
too.....Great when served over noodles or rice.......I make my own teriyaki
sauce.....1/4 soya sauce, 1/4 wine, 1/4 water, and 1/4 sugar. Adding some
onion and garlic doesn't hurt either......It is one of my favorite
spices......I also add a couple of jalapenos.........

From: Bill Graham on

"krishnananda" <krishna(a)divine-life.in.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <hv282t$61a$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> "Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> "Allen" <allent(a)austin.rr.com> wrote in message

>> > In my part of the world they would probably taste like armadillos. For
>> > appetizers, some could be selected that taste like squirrel. Bur who
>> > wants
>> > anything that tastes like squirrel or (especially) armadillo?
>>
>> In PA some people eat squirrel pot pie. Not me. I never tasted it but
>> they're like rats to me, not appetizing at all.
>
> My wife's grandmother's church cookbook (also in PA) had a wonderful
> recipe for Field Mouse Pie.
>
> Started out "Take five or six plump field mice" -- and once I realized
> that meant _whole_ mice, that's as far as I got.

.....Sounds like my cat's recipe book........

From: Henry Olson on
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:53:01 -0700, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>"Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> Gator, which is on the menu in many places around here, is not
>>> particularly tasty. What makes it tasty is the way that it is
>>> prepared. What you liked were the breading, the spices, or something
>>> else about the way it was prepared.
>>>
>>> Unlike beef, you can't just slap a cut of gator on the bbq and expect
>>> it to be good without some seasoning.
>>>
>> That's true. It was a highly seasoned dish with smoked sausage in it too.
>> They had gator ribs there too, but it mostly was a novelty, for tourists,
>> as there was very little meat on them. They had a delicious sauce on them
>> though. It *is* a very mild flavored meat.
>>

>Probably tastes like chicken....:^)

Nope. Gator tastes like, and has the texture of, good scallops. Scallops
don't taste like chicken.
From: Bill Graham on

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 11:14:06 -0400, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:
>
>>Possibly the huge flight muscles are the key. My guess is that vultures
>>aren't
>>hunted for food because they're tough as rawhide and taste like what they
>>eat.
>
> Catfish are bottom feeders, do they taste like what they eat? King-crab
> eat
> whatever dies and falls to the ocean floor, do they taste like decaying
> fish? Ever been to a pig-farm? Do they taste like the overpowering smell
> of
> where they live and eat? Granted, some animals can take on the taste of
> what they eat, like bears that eat a lot of salmon, the fish-oils
> permeating their meat, but in general things do NOT taste like what they
> eat. The only reason people find a fishy tasting cut of bear to be
> unpalatable is because their minds are expecting another flavor. They
> don't
> think twice about enjoying a cut of salmon that tastes like salmon. If
> their salmon tasted like bear they'd have the same reaction. I suppose
> these are the same kinds of people who freak out when their platter of
> surf
> & turf foods are touching each other.
>
> Vultures are gliders, they primarily only use their flight muscles to get
> airborne. They use their flight muscles less than ducks. Are ducks a tough
> cut of meat?
>
> You're pretty stupid, aren't you.

Duck is one of my favorite foods....But I only eat domestic raised duck, so
it is fat and tender.....Probably never gets off the ground.....I stuff it
with cornbread and sausage stuffing and serve it with orange sauce.....You
can fit two of them cross-ways in a turkey roaster and feed four people with
them.....A half duck a piece. Makes for a great meal.....

From: Henry Olson on
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:51:40 -0700, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>"Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Henry Olson" <henryolson(a)nospam.org> wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 05:23:35 -0400, "Tim Conway"
>>> <tconway_113(a)comcast.net>

>>> What you state is based on speculation and unfounded stories. Until
>>> someone
>>> actually tries vulture, has others compare the flavor in a blind
>>> taste-test, you're just passing on more stories. What I don't get is how
>>> people can look at a turkey and perceive it as wonderful food; yet see a
>>> turkey-vulture appearing just as odd as a turkey, actually less odd
>>> looking, and be disgusted by it.

>>> It's just social conditioning that makes you choose some foods and reject
>>> others.
>>>
>>> Roasted squirrel on a barbeque is actually quite good. People also relish
>>> frog's-legs in fine dining establishments. I too have eaten frog's-legs
>>> on
>>> quite a few occasions, they make for an excellent meal. Alligator is also
>>> delicious when cooked properly. I liken it to the best scallops I've ever
>>> had, without that sickly-sweet flavor that scallops can sometimes have.
>>> Alligators eat carrion as well for a large part of their diet.
>>>
>>> Now take Ling Cod for a good example of how social conditioning changes
>>> people's perceptions. Considered one of the best food-fishes in most
>>> every
>>> area where it is found. But in portions of the north-central USA it is
>>> called the "Eel-pout" and is considered a trash fish. They even have
>>> winter
>>> fishing contests to see who can catch the biggest one so they can destroy
>>> them all. Anyone in that region who eats it is considered fool-hardy and
>>> ridiculous.
>>>
>>> The only conclusion that can be reached by this is that the majority of
>>> people living in that area of the world are rather dim-witted, foolish,
>>> and
>>> wasteful.
>>>
>> I agree that we are conditioned by our culture as to what we like or find
>> distasteful. Take gorgonzola cheese for example, I like it but I've heard
>> the Chinese find it offensive - even cheese in general. Why one person
>> will eat oysters, shrimp, clams, etc. but avoid eel in sushi is another
>> example. I've eaten alligator in a stew at Flo's Place in Murrell's Inlet,
>> SC. It was really good. (I wish I could get back there again
>> sometime...)
>>

> I ate turtle soup in a restaurant in Louisiana when I was a kid....It was
>delicious. But I haven't seen it here in the North, so I haven't eaten it
>again.

Snapper soup is one of the best meals. It is claimed that there are about 7
different meat flavors and textures in a snapping turtle depending on which
section you eat. Beef, chicken, pork, etc. flavors all from one turtle. You
can't generally buy turtle soup. You have to catch your own and make it. As
a kid it used to be my job to pull the turtle's neck out far enough for my
grandmother to chop off the head. I'd take a sturdy shovel-handle. Then
sitting down on the ground in front of the turtle I'd put one foot on
either side of the head, feet against the shell, carefully. (These were
large snappers, around 2 ft. across.) I'd get the turtle to bite down on
the shovel-handle held level between my two hands. Then using my legs
muscles to brace against the turtle, use all my arm and back strength to
pull the neck out far enough for the hatchet to come down. Hang it off a
tree limb by the tail for 1-2 days to bleed it out. Note: Do not play with
the head after it has been chopped off. It's still alive for quite awhile
and can easily take off a finger or two if you're not careful.