From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 19:45:23 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"Henry Olson" <henryolson(a)nospam.org> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:51:40 -0700, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I ate turtle soup in a restaurant in Louisiana when I was a kid....It
>>> was
>>>delicious. But I haven't seen it here in the North, so I haven't eaten it
>>>again.
>>
>> Snapper soup is one of the best meals. It is claimed that there are about
>> 7
>> different meat flavors and textures in a snapping turtle depending on
>> which
>> section you eat. Beef, chicken, pork, etc. flavors all from one turtle.
>> You
>> can't generally buy turtle soup. You have to catch your own and make it.
>> As
>> a kid it used to be my job to pull the turtle's neck out far enough for my
>> grandmother to chop off the head. I'd take a sturdy shovel-handle. Then
>> sitting down on the ground in front of the turtle I'd put one foot on
>> either side of the head, feet against the shell, carefully. (These were
>> large snappers, around 2 ft. across.) I'd get the turtle to bite down on
>> the shovel-handle held level between my two hands. Then using my legs
>> muscles to brace against the turtle, use all my arm and back strength to
>> pull the neck out far enough for the hatchet to come down. Hang it off a
>> tree limb by the tail for 1-2 days to bleed it out. Note: Do not play with
>> the head after it has been chopped off. It's still alive for quite awhile
>> and can easily take off a finger or two if you're not careful.
>>

>I like mock turtle soup.
>But, my efforts to find mock turtles have not been successful.

You've got to walk away and turn back very quickly to catch them.
They only mock you behind your back.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Bill Graham on

"Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>> "Henry Olson" <henryolson(a)nospam.org> wrote in message

>>> Snapper soup is one of the best meals. It is claimed that there are
>>> about 7
>>> different meat flavors and textures in a snapping turtle depending on
>>> which
>>> section you eat. Beef, chicken, pork, etc. flavors all from one turtle.
>>> You
>>> can't generally buy turtle soup. You have to catch your own and make it.
>>> As
>>> a kid it used to be my job to pull the turtle's neck out far enough for
>>> my
>>> grandmother to chop off the head. I'd take a sturdy shovel-handle. Then
>>> sitting down on the ground in front of the turtle I'd put one foot on
>>> either side of the head, feet against the shell, carefully. (These were
>>> large snappers, around 2 ft. across.) I'd get the turtle to bite down on
>>> the shovel-handle held level between my two hands. Then using my legs
>>> muscles to brace against the turtle, use all my arm and back strength to
>>> pull the neck out far enough for the hatchet to come down. Hang it off a
>>> tree limb by the tail for 1-2 days to bleed it out. Note: Do not play
>>> with
>>> the head after it has been chopped off. It's still alive for quite
>>> awhile
>>> and can easily take off a finger or two if you're not careful.
>>>

>> I like mock turtle soup.
>> But, my efforts to find mock turtles have not been successful.
>>
> If you stand on the shore and taunt them while they are on the log, does
> that help?

You can make a mock turtle out of hamburger meat, but when cooked, it just
tastes like hamburger.......

From: Bill Graham on

> On 2010-06-13 15:48:31 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
> said:
>
>> On 2010-06-13 14:41:34 -0700, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> said:
>>

>>> Somebody told me that emu's taste just like steak......I didn't believe
>>> it then, but now that you told me this, I am not so sure
>>> anymore.....(Two references have a lot more power than just one....)
>>
>> I wouldn't know about emu, but ostrich is truly wonderful meat. Great
>> steaks and great jerky.
>> ...and it is much healthier than beef, and tastes nothing like chicken.
>>
>> For those in the US;
>> http://www.ostrichgrowers.com/retail.html
>> or
>> http://www.ostrich.com/meat/
>
> There is also this place;
> http://www.blackwing.com/product_shop.php?pcnm=ostrich
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Looks good, but a bit expensive for my pocketbook......Good thing I noticed
the price column was, "price per pound"......:^)

From: Walter Banks on

Tim Conway wrote:

> I agree that we are conditioned by our culture as to what we like or find
> distasteful. Take gorgonzola cheese for example, I like it but I've heard
> the Chinese find it offensive - even cheese in general. Why one person will
> eat oysters, shrimp, clams, etc. but avoid eel in sushi is another example.
> I've eaten alligator in a stew at Flo's Place in Murrell's Inlet, SC. It
> was really good. (I wish I could get back there again sometime...)

I've eaten muktuk in the arctic and would happily go back for seconds.

When my kids were 6-8 I took them on a local adventure to eat our
way around the world. This involved a few simple rules. We went
primarily to local ethic restaurants. They could order anything they liked
and they had to eat one bite after that the choice was theirs to eat or
not eat any particular part of their meal. About half the time they
actually chose the restaurant. Since most of these restaurants had owners
that were first generation immigrants the second rule was they had to
learn four new words. "Hello","Goodbye","Please" and "Thankyou"
in whatever language the owners spoke.

This became quite a bit of fun actually. For a while their choice was
something from the eastern Mediterranean. Both of them decided that
baklava was the ideal desert.

The surprising benefit has been that now that both are adults they
have travelled quite a bit to many different places and have tended to
seriously try local "delicacies".

w..

From: Paul Furman on
Bill Graham wrote:

> "Allen" <allent(a)austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Tim Conway wrote:
>>

>>> Interesting about the Green Herons. I never really considered eating
>>> them. hmmm
>>> My guess about the vultures is that someone tried them sometime and
>>> they tasted so bad that it was quickly forgotten and hushed up. LOL.
>>> The idea itself is kinda repulsive - except for the ones like you
>>> said that eat the live fish. You'd think they would taste fishy, like
>>> some ducks that eat mostly fish.
>>>

>> In my part of the world they would probably taste like armadillos. For
>> appetizers, some could be selected that taste like squirrel. Bur who
>> wants anything that tastes like squirrel or (especially) armadillo?
>> Allen
>
> Few animals taste like whatever it is they eat.....Cows don't taste like
> grass. (for example)

Probably true but I was told Antelope taste like sage brush in SE
Wyoming, where that's the main forage.