From: sobriquet on
On 21 jun, 05:25, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
> [...]
> > the internet allows information to reproduce, distribute and promote
> > itself. The only catch is that it's virtually impossible to impose
> > controls on the whole distribution process and that's why corporations
> > who were used to being in control of the distribution process find it
> > very hard to accept that they have more or less become redundant as
> > middlemen between the creative people who produce content and allow
> > themselves to be prostituted by the intellectual property mafia and
> > the consumers who enjoy their creative output.
>
> > Anyone with a talent can simply distribute their stuff online and that
> > way they have a direct connection with their fans and supporters on a
> > global scale and that is naturally a preferable way to conduct their
> > business. The apparent downside is that once they release their
> > content, they can't really impose controls on what people are allowed
> > to do with their creations, but it has basically always been that way
> > for physical products, so it would be a good thing if this once again
> > holds for immaterial products like information.
>
> > Imagine you buy a loaf of bread and you have to accept a 30 page end-
> > user-license-agreement where the baker specifies what sort of things
> > your allowed to put on the bread and other silly restrictions. People
> > would simply ignore it as the natural state of affairs is that once
> > you buy a product, you're free to do with it as you please.
> > You could buy a piece of artwork and burn it, eat it, hang it on your
> > wall or whatever. It's ludicrous to suppose that the artist can impose
> > arbitrary restrictions on how you're allowed to use it, like telling
> > people they are not allowed to hang the artwork in plain sight in
> > front of their window.
>
> > So all these perversions and ludicrous distortions of creative rights
> > are simply the result of corporations ruthlessly exploiting the
> > mechanized and centralized reproduction and distribution of
> > information, starting with the printing press and it will be a relief
> > if we finally get rid of this anomalous state of affairs that is
> > completely unnatural compared to the usual way products find their way
> > to their respective consumers and reasonable guidelines a producer can
> > advise regarding the use of their products (rather than silly
> > constraints imposed by producers on the use of their products).
>
> I must most respectfully disagree that corporations / businesses are
> impairing our ability to desseminate information.
>
> While the internet has its origins in the academic world, the research was
> driven / funded by corporate donations which were allocated to business
> faculties as well as more traditional scientific departments.
>
> Furthering the aims of businesses through networking was as much on the
> minds of those scientists as linking telescopes and physics departments.
>
> To get a look at how closely university faculty members and business growth
> can be related, just look into the history of Netscape.

It wasn't the intellectual property mafia that funded the development
of information technology for sure.
But issues with copyright infringement and intellectual property
predate the internet and the invention of video recorders and xerox
machines have also been undermining the power and control of
publishers over the reproduction and distribution of information.

So it's not that corporations are completely antithetical to the
freedom to share information or free access to information, as some
businesses clearly make a buck by inventing and selling technology
that empowers individuals by enabling them to reproduce and
disseminate information as they see fit.

Just like Google is a corporation that strives to make information
more accessible by making it freely (though often partially) available
online, which has put it on a collision course with traditional
publishers who are very much opposed to the idea of information being
more accessible if it doesn't involve them making a profit from it.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/googles-book-scanning-is-angering-publishers/
From: Dudley Hanks on

From: sobriquet on
On 21 jun, 06:06, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
> [...]
> predate the internet and the invention of video recorders and xerox
> machines have also been undermining the power and control of
> publishers over the reproduction and distribution of information.
>
> So it's not that corporations are completely antithetical to the
> freedom to share information or free access to information, as some
> businesses clearly make a buck by inventing and selling technology
> that empowers individuals by enabling them to reproduce and
> disseminate information as they see fit.
>
> Just like Google is a corporation that strives to make information
> more accessible by making it freely (though often partially) available
> online, which has put it on a collision course with traditional
> publishers who are very much opposed to the idea of information being
> more accessible if it doesn't involve them making a profit from it.

So it's not corporations in general, but rather the intellectual
property mafia that is impairing our ability to exploit the full
potential of information technology, and it's not like there is a
clear-cut dichotomy between the interests of corporations and the
interests of individual people like me, who are very much in favor of
the freedom to share information regardless of any spurious
intellectual property claims.
From: sobriquet on
On 20 jun, 21:17, krishnananda <kris...(a)divine-life.in.invalid> wrote:
> In article
> <cac3bbbd-cf7e-4fea-a2e7-6ba4e6c5b...(a)y4g2000yqy.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  sobriquet <dohduh...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Don't worry, given your incoherent and nonsensical arguments, your
> > garbled spelling is amongst the least of your worries. First you
> > should strive to master an ability to express your point of view in a
> > fashion that is intelligible to others and then you can gain bonus
> > points for extra credibility if you manage to spell out your ideas
> > flawlessly.
>
> > I recommend this course in particular:
> >http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4919006/TTC_VIDEO_-_Argumentation__Th...
> > f_Effective_Reasoning_2nd_
>
> YOU HAVE JUST ADVOCATED WHAT IS A PLAIN VIOLATION OF GOOGLE GROUPS TERMS
> OF SERVICE, THAT IS, STEALING AND PROMULGATING SOFTWARE YOU HAVE NO
> AUTHORSHIP INTEREST IN. THIS IS A CRIME IN MOST COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD.
>
> YOUR NNTP POSTING ADDRESS 85.113.251.186 HAS BEEN REPORTED TO GOOGLE FOR
> INDEFINITE BANNING DUE TO GROSS VIOLATIONS OF GOOGLE'S TOS.

Where I live, it happens to be perfectly legal to download most things
(like books, music, videos, etc..) for personal use. Hence, I haven't
advocated any criminal activity whatsoever by mentioning a weblink to
a video available on p2p networks.

Good luck convincing google to suspend my account! I won't be holding
my breath. :-)
From: Dudley Hanks on

> On 21 jun, 06:06, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>> "sobriquet" <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> On 21 jun, 05:25, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>>

>> > "sobriquet" <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > I must most respectfully disagree that corporations / businesses are
>> > impairing our ability to desseminate information.
>>
>> > While the internet has its origins in the academic world, the research
>> > was
>> > driven / funded by corporate donations which were allocated to business
>> > faculties as well as more traditional scientific departments.
>>
>> > Furthering the aims of businesses through networking was as much on the
>> > minds of those scientists as linking telescopes and physics
>> > departments.
>>
>> > To get a look at how closely university faculty members and business
>> > growth
>> > can be related, just look into the history of Netscape.
>>
>> > Take Care,
>> > Dudley
>>
>> It wasn't the intellectual property mafia that funded the development
>> of information technology for sure.
>> But issues with copyright infringement and intellectual property
>> predate the internet and the invention of video recorders and xerox
>> machines have also been undermining the power and control of
>> publishers over the reproduction and distribution of information.
>>
>> So it's not that corporations are completely antithetical to the
>> freedom to share information or free access to information, as some
>> businesses clearly make a buck by inventing and selling technology
>> that empowers individuals by enabling them to reproduce and
>> disseminate information as they see fit.
>>
>> Just like Google is a corporation that strives to make information
>> more accessible by making it freely (though often partially) available
>> online, which has put it on a collision course with traditional
>> publishers who are very much opposed to the idea of information being
>> more accessible if it doesn't involve them making a profit from it.
>>
>> http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/googles-book-scanning-is-anger...
>>
>> So?
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley
>
> So it's not corporations in general, but rather the intellectual
> property mafia that is impairing our ability to exploit the full
> potential of information technology, and it's not like there is a
> clear-cut dichotomy between the interests of corporations and the
> interests of individual people like me, who are very much in favor of
> the freedom to share information regardless of any spurious
> intellectual property claims.

On a sentimental level, I wish you luck...

But, I still don't see any major issue.

Well, not quite. It saddens me to hear that the University of Alberta is
doing great things with a generic drug which has huge potential to help
brain cancer patients, but corporations won't fund research because the drug
is generic and can't be patented.

But, as stated in the article, others have stepped up, and it will be
interesting to see what happens.

Anybody out there with some extra bucks and a friend who might benefit from
the drug should think about donating...

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010/05/12/dca-brain-cancer.html

Take Care,
Dudley