From: whisky-dave on

"sobriquet" <dohduhdah(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>Ah ok, so in order to enjoy intellectual property rights, I must
>submit my creations to some kind of commission that is going to assess
>the intellectual value of my creative output in order to evaluate
>whether or not I can enjoy the protection of intellectual property
>laws?

No not really, if your intellectualism is worth copying then they'll be
people out their trying to copy it and that's when you need I.P laws to
protect you. Until you have done such a thing you won't require protection
any more than a catholic priest will require protection from getting a choir
boy pregnant.

I've seen nothing that you have created that is worth protecting to date.

>So, where do I submit my creative output in order to guarantee my
>rights?

First you have to output something creative that someone actually wants.
10011001111 isn't exactly in great demand

From: sobriquet on
On 21 jun, 17:02, "whisky-dave" <whisky-d...(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
> "sobriquet" <dohduh...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> >Ah ok, so in order to enjoy intellectual property rights, I must
> >submit my creations to some kind of commission that is going to assess
> >the intellectual value of my creative output in order to evaluate
> >whether or not I can enjoy the protection of intellectual property
> >laws?
>
> No not really, if your intellectualism is worth copying then they'll be
> people out their trying to copy it and that's when you need I.P laws to
> protect you. Until you have done such a thing you won't require protection
> any more than a catholic priest will require protection from getting a choir
> boy pregnant.
>
> I've seen nothing that you have created that is worth protecting to date.

People read and reply to my usenet postings, so apparently they are
interested in using my creative output. If nobody was replying to my
usenet postings, you might have a point.

> >So, where do I submit my creative output in order to guarantee my
> >rights?
>
> First you have to output something creative that someone actually wants.
> 10011001111 isn't exactly in great demand

Some of my pictures have received over 20.000 views.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thcganja/416926364/

So there does seem to be some interest in my creative output.
From: sobriquet on
On 21 jun, 17:01, "whisky-dave" <whisky-d...(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
> "sobriquet" <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > So it's not corporations in general, but rather the intellectual
> > property mafia that is impairing our ability to exploit the full
> > potential of information technology, and it's not like there is a
> > clear-cut dichotomy between the interests of corporations and the
> > interests of individual people like me, who are very much in favor of
> > the freedom to share information regardless of any spurious
> > intellectual property claims.
>
> But you're only prepared to share other peoples information and intellectual
> property  you never share your own, probably because it's worthless, but as
> yet I've not seen you share your bank details or anything of any use unless
> it comes from someone else.

I also share my own information.. I have many pictures and videos
online and people also seem to be interested in my usenet postings,
given the amount of replies I get.
From: whisky-dave on

>I never take anything as my own. I just share information with others
>as I see fit and engaging in this activity is simply a matter of
>exercising a basic human right.

Why is it you never share information that you have created, and what if
someone else puts up your information without your permission ?
Do you think it's still yours or does it belong to everyone ?

If you disclose information by putting it on the internet, that means
you can't complain when others duplicate that information and share it
with others.
If you don't like others duplicating and sharing information that you
have created, you should not put your information online. It's as
simple as that.

Property laws are limited by your obligations as an owner of property
to take care of your possessions. If you were to leave your valuable
possessions like jewelry out on the streets deliberately, you can't
expect help from the police to guard your possessions if other people
might think you've left the jewelry out on the streets as a gift for
others. Go ahead and try it out in practice to see if your human right
to own property implies you have the right to leave your possessions
unguarded out on the streets wherever you go.

It's the same with intellectual property. If you've created a
particular piece of information that has value because it's relatively
unique, the only way for you to retain that information as
intellectual property would be to keep it to yourself.
As soon as you put the information online, that means others have
access to it and they can share it with others as they see fit and it
would be very silly if you complain afterwards that people disrespect
your spurious intellectual property claims.

So if I create a bitstring, it's mine and nobody has the right to
break into my house in order to obtain a copy from that bitstring, but
as soon as I've put the bitstring on the internet where it's available
to anyone who would like a copy, it would be silly for me to complain
that other people are violating my intellectual property rights by
sharing and duplicating a bitstring that I have originally created.

This usenet posting is a bitstring just the same and obviously people
are ignoring my spurious intellectual property claims which stipulate
that people are only allowed to reply to my usenet postings if they
agree with my outlook on intellectual property and the freedom to
share information.

From: sobriquet on
On 21 jun, 17:31, "whisky-dave" <whisky-d...(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
> "sobriquet" <dohduh...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I never take anything as my own. I just share information with others
> >as I see fit and engaging in this activity is simply a matter of
> >exercising a basic human right.
>
> Why is it you never share information that you have created, and what if
> someone else puts up your information without your permission ?
> Do you think it's still yours or does it belong to everyone ?

You should learn to quote properly. I regularly share information I
have created and
if someone else shares my information with other people who collect
information, that's
just fine because it's a human right to share and exchange
information.
All information out there on the internet belongs to everyone and they
would only be violating my creative rights if they take information
created by me and claim they have created it themselves.