From: David Kaye on
"gufus" <stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
>Hello, David!
>
>You wrote on Sun, 4 Apr 2010 16:50:45 -0400:
>

> | Whatever it is -- the fault lies in you PC.
> |

>He /doesn't/ get it :-(

The problem with you folks is that you're working on theory, not real-world
testing. You sit back and tell others that they're wrong when you have no
idea what experience they have dealing with things. I worked for almost 8
years as a software developer writing medical software for organ transplants
and banking software before that. And I have spent the past 8 years fulltime
doing tech support, specializing in malware issues. So, I think I have some
field experience worth paying attention to that you folks who merely read
Usenet posts simply don't have.

I'm not angry at you and your smugness, though I suppose I could get angry.
I'm saying that your theoretical posts simply don't shed any light on the
issues, so they're not helpful.

From: FromTheRafters on
"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
>>The best thing to know would be exactly what was on the exploit
>>riddled
>>website.
>
> That's what I'm hoping someone would be able to answer here. But
> these
> newsgroups seem stacked with people who are quick to admonish others
> but not
> add much constructive information.

....they change so fast...

The only way anyone could do that would be if you had posted the address
of the exploit site (munged of course). It might have been in your temp
files, or might still be. Doing it now, would only show what it offers
now (if it hasn't moved again already). They often use the latest
exploits, since they are commercially motivated.

From: gufus on
Hello, David!

You wrote on Sun, 04 Apr 2010 21:03:23 GMT:

>> My reader shows that you message was posted just a couple or three
>> minutes ago so I'm guessing it not on your end. BTW: PDT here as well
|
| THANK YOU!!!! Last night I sent an email to Eternal September suggesting
| that there was a daylight time problem on their server. Apparently
| they've adjusted whatever they needed to adjust.
|
| My posting time is 2:03:18pm PDT

READ your msg info
====== Source Message properties:

*** public:

From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>

Newsgroups: alt.comp.anti-virus

Subject: Re: Avast Doesn't Block XP Defender malware (ave.exe)

Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 21:03:23 GMT

<hp91mk$ekl$1(a)news.eternal-september.org> <hpa3pi0310p(a)news3.newsguy.com>
<hpatcc$ltp$1(a)news.eternal-september.org> <4bb8f94e.13133203(a)EDCBIC>

*** private:

att:rendered: 00000001 (1)

att:athena-account-id: 00000001

att:athena-account-name: 69.16.185.250

par:content-type:charset: iso-8859-1

Flags: 00005020

--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: David Kaye on
Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Glad you've got it sorted out. :)
>You said you were a News Xpress user? have you tried Xnews? It's very
>similar but with some of the bugs in News Xpress worked out.

I don't know why I'm so hooked on News Xpress, but I've always loved the
program. It's simple, and except for the occasional exception it throws it
works really really well. It has exceptionally good error handling and never
crashes. And of course, being small and written for Win 3.1, it is also super
fast. It's even wise enough to spot web links and load a browser -- and this
was written at the dawn of the web!

I'll look for Xnews and try it out. Thanks for the info.

From: ~BD~ on
Ant wrote:

Lots of interesting technical things, which I know little about but
enjoy reading.

Thanks, Ant! :)

--
Dave