From: ~BD~ on
David Kaye wrote:
> ~BD~<BoaterDave(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> The Real Truth MVP wrote:
>>> Yes, all kidding aside it could be a new variant and he also only posted
>>> the program version number not virus definition version which is 100403-1
>>>

>> Maybe he'll check if he reads my reply to you!
>
> I did and I checked and it's 100403-1. I let Avast automatically update both
> the program and the definition files.
>
> It looks like this may be a trend. I walked a customer through a registry
> rollback (luckily the malware didn't take over safe mode) and had her set it
> back 3 days. Again, like me, she has Avast on her computer, and likely has
> the current definition file. I know she has the same program version I do.
>
> Funny thing is that in quick scan mode, MBam didn't see anything at all. On
> my computer it saw ave.exe.
>
> Thank goodness it was merely a matter of rolling back the registry and not
> something more serious like boot sector injections, etc. Still, she still has
> the malware on her computer; it's just the registry doen't know about it.
> Next time I visit her I'll have to check and get rid of it.

Perhaps try Microsoft Security Essentials!

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/?mkt=en-us

I'm using it on two machines and it seems to work just fine!

You have obviously found this experience somewhat disconcerting, David,
and I can just feel your frustration. For me, though, it has been most
interesting, especially your posting times being ahead of others who are
also using Eternal-September. Might you approach Ray Banana about this?
I've found him very helpful.

I wish you a very Happy Easter.

Dave BD

An afterthought! Assume you had a pristine machine (new or with a new
hard disk) - not connected to the Internet - upon which you had loaded
Malwarebytes from a memory stick. If you ran a full scan it should of
course report no infections. With all the skill you have acquired, would
you be able to tell if changes had been made to your machine by MBAM
which might, perhaps, enable remote access to it when connected to the
Internet?
From: David Kaye on
"The Central Scrutinizer" <gcisko(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Let's say what you mention here is true. If that is the case, why would he
>not
>know that users running as local admin is for sure asking for problems? He
>said he is running that way as all of his clients do as well! WHAT!!!!

I have been fixing malware problems fulltime since 2002. That's 8 years.
When I remove malware, turn off unnecessary services, remove unneeded
startups, and put in a rudimentary anti-malware program (Avast lately), I
seldom get repeat calls from my customers for malware problems. When they do
call me back it's to fix something unrelated or to refer a new customer.

So, I feel fairly confident that XP is just fine in the default user mode,
which has admin privileges.

Oh, I suppose I could set them up with limited accounts but do you know how
sloppy that is? Some programs simply won't work, while others get flaky.
Quickbooks is a perfect example. It will not run properly (and sometimes not
at all) on a limited account.

From: FromTheRafters on
"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

[...]

> This is where heuristic scanning comes in and why MBam can catch
> nearly
> everything. I had the impression, reading from Avast's documentation
> and
> various postings from people that Avast also had similar heuristic
> scanning.
> Apparently not.

[...]

From my reading, Avast! only uses its heuristic's for its e-mail
scanner.

From: FromTheRafters on
> "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>

>>Were you running as administrator at the time of the "attack"?
>
> Running XP Pro with a default user with admin privileges.
>
>>It is possible, while browsing to a legitimate site, to get redirected
>>to a site that launches several browser exploits aimed at executing a
>>rogue application on your machine.
>
> Using OpenDNS as the DNS. Using Windows Firewall and Avast. I
> checked
> filedates in various directories and didn't see much other than
> ave.exe and
> its entries in the registry. It was actually fairly simple to get rid
> of,
> having dealt with it before on customer machines.

Yeah, some are easy enough to remove, and even easier to avoid *having*
to remove. :o)

>>(server-side) to avoid detection by your antimalware component.
>>Similar
>>to the way a virus can be self-polymorphic - a downloaded program file
>>can take many forms.
>
> What's eating me is that the program launched with a window that was
> clearly
> detectable in Task Manager as ave.exe, and yet while Avast was running
> it
> simply didn't see the program.

Some stuff will get past detectors. With admin rights, what gets past
may well attack the detector itself. After that, even well known and
reliably detectable malware can get past.

> After rolling back the registry 5 days manually (booting up with
> BART-PE) I
> then ran XP in regular mode and scanned with MalwareBytes. MB
> immediately saw
> it. (I'm using the freebie MB, so it does no realtime scanning).
> Avast
> still didn't see it even after I ran the drive scan option. And I
> have the
> latest Avast update.

The best thing to know would be exactly what was on the exploit riddled
website.

....as a side note, I read somewhere, about a month ago, that 80% of the
most popular legitimate websites had served up malware within that one
week period. IIRC it was mostly through advertisements that they had
hosted.

From: FromTheRafters on
"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

[...]

> When I remove malware, turn off unnecessary services, remove unneeded
> startups, and put in a rudimentary anti-malware program (Avast
> lately),

[...]

Avast! is an antivirus program.

As you apparently already know, it is good to have an antimalware
program as well. It looks like soon enough the two will completely merge
because it is becoming more and more important for AV (formerly heavy on
the more preventative content scanning) to adopt context scanning for
post infestation identification and clean-up.

....still, if a detector program is virus capable, I suspect it will
still be called an antivirus even if it is a comprehensive antimalware
as well (since viruses are a special case).