From: Peter Foldes on
David Kaye

What does BD know. Nothing and not worth even thinking about his knowledge which is
non existent

--
Peter

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>

| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>>All Usenet is based on GMT therefore your clock may be correct bu the wrong
>> time zone.

| Once again, for those of you who don't read, my time is set to Pacirfic Time
| (U.S. & Canada), and the automatic advance for daylight time is set. When I
| ran the API call that queries the time information the system said that I was
| at GMT -7 hours, which is correct.

| There is absolutely nothing wrong with my computer. It is set correctly. The
| only thing I can think of is that News Xpress, my antiquated news reader
| (originally written for Windows 3.1) messes with the time somehow. But, to be
| honest, I don't wish to devote the time to figuring this out. I'm knee-deep
| in work this weekend and already have to cancel my visit to a couple social
| events I'd rather visit this afternoon.

Whatever it is -- the fault lies in you PC.

--
Dave

From: gufus on
Hello, David!

You wrote on Sun, 04 Apr 2010 20:38:36 GMT:

| Once again, for those of you who don't read, my time is set to Pacirfic
| Time (U.S. & Canada), and the automatic advance for daylight time is set.
| When I ran the API call that queries the time information the system said
| that I was at GMT -7 hours, which is correct.

ARG!

Set TZ in your OS

--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: Dustin Cook on
"The Real Truth MVP" <trt(a)void.com> wrote in

> You are full of sh*t Dustbin. You don't know me and nobody posting in
> these groups knows me have never seen me. You will believe anything I
> tell you say or do because you are an idiot.

You can say that until hell freezes over, it's not going to make it true.
Your identity hasn't been a secret in years. No matter how much you try to
say your this, or your that, you've been caught; just get over it. Move on.

Go.. I dunno, steal something else.. :)

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: David Kaye on
"Ant" <not(a)home.today> wrote:

>So that would be insecurely and typically lacking the latest (or any)
>third party software updates or patches for bug fixes. They might be a
>little better protected with Vista or Win7 if they haven't disabled
>the nags.

What I'm getting at is that I use the best of off the shelf freebie programs
my customers would tend to download. As for updates, typically when I first
see them they have default Windows services turned on, so that they are up to
date on Windows updates, but also have remote registry and other nasties
turned on. By the time I reach them they're badly infected and have installed
4 or 5 anti-malware programs hoping to fix what they've done. I spend much of
my time uninstalling stuff, returning the computer to as close to pristine as
possible, and then install anti-malware tools.

I know you mean well, but believe me, I already know about this stuff. I
wasn't saying anything about a firewall protecting me against this problem.
What I SAID was that the warning that the firewall was turned off was th
e first information I received that an exploit was running.

>You still haven't stated which browser and you don't need to click to
>be infected. In the last few days there have been updates for IE6 & 7,
>Firefox, Quicktime & Itunes and Foxit PDF reader. All of them correct
>exploitable vulnerabilities. Take a look at http://isc.sans.org/

I'm using IE8 Version 8.0.6001.18702.

>at isc.sans.org. Foxit have corrected it but Adobe Acrobat is probably
>still vulnerable. In fact malicious PDFs, which are frequently used,
>often don't display at all but just run code.

Yeah, Adobe has been remarkably lame in fixing their software. They have
exploits going back years I'm told.

>If you want some warning it's best to to have the appropriate OS
>security policies and logging in place. Firewalls are usually only
>concerned with network connections, not what you allow to run.

I know you mean well, but believe me, I already know about this stuff. I
wasn't saying anything about a firewall protecting me against this problem.
What I SAID was that the warning that the firewall was turned off was the
first information I received that an exploit was running.

>The only way you can find out what causes a problem like this is to do
>an immediate investigation of all the recent HTTP (and perhaps other
>protocol) requests and examine any cached pages, scripts, Java .jar
>and .class files, etc when it happens so you can track down the bad
>site and what exploit was used.

I noted the file date/time and have looked back on this. The exploit appears
to have come from foxnews, officedepot, or officemax -- the time stamps are
within a few seconds of each other and show up right before the time stamp
that was written to the temp directory in my documents and settings tree.

>More important is to find the vulnerable software component that
>allowed it to run.

Yes. Also, since I was able to get this infection I suspect that I'll be
getting frantic calls this coming week from others. I'm getting tempted to
set people up as limited users, even though that creates headaches in itself
(such as the inability to run QuickBooks properly, which I mentioned before).