From: gufus on
Hello, The!

You wrote on Sun, 4 Apr 2010 14:19:59 -0700:

| GMT-08:00 is Pacific Time (US & Canada) NOT -7

Correct :)
--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: Dustin Cook on
sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David Kaye) wrote in

> Dustin Cook <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Glad you've got it sorted out. :)
>>You said you were a News Xpress user? have you tried Xnews? It's very
>>similar but with some of the bugs in News Xpress worked out.
>
> I don't know why I'm so hooked on News Xpress, but I've always loved
> the program. It's simple, and except for the occasional exception it
> throws it works really really well. It has exceptionally good error
> handling and never crashes. And of course, being small and written
> for Win 3.1, it is also super fast. It's even wise enough to spot web
> links and load a browser -- and this was written at the dawn of the
> web!
>
> I'll look for Xnews and try it out. Thanks for the info.

That's why I like Xnews so much. it has the look and feel of news xpress
and generally performs well. :)

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>

| "gufus" <stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
>>Hello, David!

>>You wrote on Sun, 4 Apr 2010 16:50:45 -0400:

>> | Whatever it is -- the fault lies in you PC.
>> |

>>He /doesn't/ get it :-(

| The problem with you folks is that you're working on theory, not real-world
| testing. You sit back and tell others that they're wrong when you have no
| idea what experience they have dealing with things. I worked for almost 8
| years as a software developer writing medical software for organ transplants
| and banking software before that. And I have spent the past 8 years fulltime
| doing tech support, specializing in malware issues. So, I think I have some
| field experience worth paying attention to that you folks who merely read
| Usenet posts simply don't have.

| I'm not angry at you and your smugness, though I suppose I could get angry.
| I'm saying that your theoretical posts simply don't shed any light on the
| issues, so they're not helpful.

Whatever the issue it appears to be fixed as it is 1732 hrs my time and your post appears
as 1719 hrs so it is a MOOT POINT now.

--
Dave

From: FromTheRafters on
"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Avast is an anti-malware program, not simply an anti-virus program,
> according
> to their website. Here's what it says:

[...]

The thing is, antivirus is less simple than antimalware. That is why you
always see their name as Avast! *Antivirus* and not Avast!
*Antimalware*. When the program is able to detect viruses as well as
other malware, it will be called an antivirus (because it is the more
capable detector if it also detects viruses).

Your statement makes more sense as:

Avast is an anti-virus program, not simply an anti-malware program,
according to their website...

There is some confusion because you would think that the umbrella term
"malware" used in the antimalware would indicate comprehensive malware
detection. Antimalware should be called anti non-viral malware instead.

From: FromTheRafters on
"ASCII" <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
> David Kaye wrote:
>>"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>>
>>>All Usenet is based on GMT therefore your clock may be correct bu the
>>>wrong
>>> time zone.
>>>

>>Once again, for those of you who don't read, my time is set to
>>Pacirfic Time
>>(U.S. & Canada), and the automatic advance for daylight time is set.
>>When I
>>ran the API call that queries the time information the system said
>>that I was
>>at GMT -7 hours, which is correct.
>>
>>There is absolutely nothing wrong with my computer. It is set
>>correctly. The
>>only thing I can think of is that News Xpress, my antiquated news
>>reader
>>(originally written for Windows 3.1) messes with the time somehow.
>>But, to be
>>honest, I don't wish to devote the time to figuring this out. I'm
>>knee-deep
>>in work this weekend and already have to cancel my visit to a couple
>>social
>>events I'd rather visit this afternoon.
>
> My reader shows that you message was posted just a couple or three
> minutes ago
> so I'm guessing it not on your end.
> BTW: PDT here as well

It's the first Sunday in April.