From: FromTheRafters on
"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Ah. It seems I've posted "nearly an hour before you." How do you
>>explain
>>that everyone else sees your clock an hour in the future?
>>
>>Currently 11:57pm Eastern Daylight Time
>
> I'm not sure. There is no setting on the user account at ES to adjust
> the
> time. My computer's clock is set to Pacific (US & Canada) with
> allowance made
> for DST. It adjusted correctly at the beginning of daylight time.
>
> Lemme see. I have a program that calls an API routine for system
> time. Let's
> see if it shows GMT correctly...
>
> Okay, the routine calls the GetTimeZoneInformation and GetSystemTime
> functions from the kernel32 library. The routines return an offset
> from GMT
> as 7 hours, which is correct. Normally it would be 8 hours, but we're
> on DST
> here in North America. Since Bush signed into law the advanced
> daylight time
> law several years ago, starting DST 3 weeks ahead of the way it used
> to be
> (and ending it 1 week later) it just might be that Eternal September
> is
> assuming that we're not on DST here yet. This would account for their
> server
> thinking GMT (UTC) is 8 hours ahead.

Well then, it should correct itself today then.

From: FromTheRafters on
> "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
>>It is possible for a trojan to drop a file named ave.exe that is for
>>all
>>practical purposes unique to that system. The filename means nothing.
>>The thing that should be detected is the dropper itself - if you don't
>>install it, you don't have to identify and remove it.
>
> This may be the case given that the name displayed apparently adjusts
> itself
> to the system in use. Thus for XP it's called something like "XP
> Defender"
> and for Vista it's called "Vista Defender", etc. Also, whether it's
> called
> Defender or any number of other names also seems to change.
>
> Regardless, I should think that Avast's heuristics should have picked
> up some
> of the telltale signs of the infection even if it didn't have the
> exact
> definition in place.

Avast! doesn't use "heuristics" (according to them). They do use them
for their e-mail scanning module though.

> I'm thiking of going back to ZoneAlarm since Windows firewall was so
> easy to
> disable.

Hmmm...

I just heard that most auto accidents happen within 10 miles of home, so
I'll be moving to a safer neighborhood.

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
David Kaye wrote:

> Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 06:04:14 GMT
>
> I guess I'll just chalk it up to being a forward thinker.

I would like to know why "GMT" and "UTC" are an hour apart on your
posts. GMT and UTC are the same.

My posts via eternal-september show my correct time zone (as -0400 EDT)
but yours do not show your time zone. And everyone who has replied sees
your posts an hour in the future. Just yours.

--
-bts
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>

| "gufus" <stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca> wrote:

>>BTW, check your setup, your clock is wrong.

| For the 4th or 5th time, my clock is perfectly fine. It's the clock on my
| news server at Eternal September.

| Presently my clock says 8:40::03pm; that's Pacific Daylight Time.

All Usenet is based on GMT therefore your clock may be correct bu the wrong time zone.

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Heather" <fergie(a)canada.invalid>

| "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "Heather" <fergie(a)canada.invalid> wrote:

>>>OK Shaggy......I will add to this cuz I have an obsession re correct time.
>>>He has his Time Zone set wrongly.......right? As it is now Daylight
>>>SAVING
>>>Time (which he may not have checked off), it is only 4 hours different to
>>>GMT........not 5.

>> My time zone and my DST offset are NOT set wrong. I'm also a time geek
>> and
>> I'm aware that the U.S. now advances DST time 3 weeks ahead of when it
>> used to
>> start.

| Hey David.....I am not arguing with you, but if all 3 of us are using ES and
| your time is an hour ahead of the two of us........something is out of whack
| on your end. It is 12:55 am as I type this.

| Cheers......Heather

+1

--
Dave