From: sobriquet on
On 27 apr, 14:41, "whisky-dave" <whisky-d...(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
> "Allen" <all...(a)austin.rr.com> wrote in message

> > whisky-dave wrote:
> >> "Alan LeHun" <t...(a)reply.to> wrote in message

> >> No, that's still time slicing.
> >> One of the basic laws of physics is that two things can not occur at the
> >> same instance in time.
> >> One of the reasons you have a clock frequency in electronic devices is to
> >> make sure everything
> >> has it's own time slot and is 'clocked properly.
>
> >> In the human world magicians use this 'trick' as the human eye can not
> >> see
> >> everything at the same time i.e it can;t multitask, humans can't
> >> multitask.
> >> They just think they can because they aren't clever enough to realise
> >> they can't.
>
> > You mean no one can ride a bicycle and chew gum at the same time?
> > Allen
>
> They can certainly think they can and attempt it like some do with mobile
> phones
> and driving, but when people walking into you because they are talking on
> their
> mobile and can;t walk and talk at the same time it makes me wonder whether
> it is truly possible to chew gum and walk at the same time.
> perhaps they chew then look where they are going and then chew again.
> You know like some people look at the road while driving while others
> can look at the dials/radio or anything else that takes their fancy.
> Why do people crash in these situations if tehy can do two things at the
> same time ?

Because driving a car is something that requires your full attention
now and then, especially in a big city.
But how many people use a radio in their car? Surely if people can't
do anything else while
driving a car, car radio's would be banned.
Listening to the radio is a more passive activity compared to having a
conversation with other occupants in the car or on the hands-free set.
It's all a matter of distributing your attention in a responsible
fashion and ensuring you have enough of your attention available to
navigate the traffic.
From: whisky-dave on

"sobriquet" <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 27 apr, 14:41, "whisky-dave" <whisky-d...(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
>> "Allen" <all...(a)austin.rr.com> wrote in message

>> > You mean no one can ride a bicycle and chew gum at the same time?
>> > Allen
>>
>> They can certainly think they can and attempt it like some do with mobile
>> phones
>> and driving, but when people walking into you because they are talking on
>> their
>> mobile and can;t walk and talk at the same time it makes me wonder
>> whether
>> it is truly possible to chew gum and walk at the same time.
>> perhaps they chew then look where they are going and then chew again.
>> You know like some people look at the road while driving while others
>> can look at the dials/radio or anything else that takes their fancy.
>> Why do people crash in these situations if tehy can do two things at the
>> same time ?
>
> Because driving a car is something that requires your full attention
> now and then,

Yep two time periods. Now and then.

> especially in a big city.
> But how many people use a radio in their car? Surely if people can't
> do anything else while
> driving a car, car radio's would be banned.

because listening to the radio doesn;t require in general much
concentration.
because when peole listen to the radio it doesn;t take much effort
and you can certainly think you can do somethinjg else at the same time.

> Listening to the radio is a more passive activity compared to having a
> conversation with other occupants in the car or on the hands-free set.

So if it's passive you aren't; always doing something are you.

> It's all a matter of distributing your attention in a responsible
> fashion and ensuring you have enough of your attention available to
> navigate the traffic.

Yep, and that is time slicing, unless you stop the car.