From: whisky-dave on

"Alan LeHun" <try(a)reply.to> wrote in message
> In article <hqhk2p$qum$1(a)qmul>, whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear says...
>> There's little proof that the human brain can mulititask, what is does is
>> ignore whatever other inmut is present, it's more time slicing than
>> multitasking.
>>

> There is plenty proof that the human brain can multi-task on two tasks.
> This is due in no small part to the fact that our brain is in fact a
> pair of brains.

No, that's still time slicing.
One of the basic laws of physics is that two things can not occur at the
same instance in time.
One of the reasons you have a clock frequency in electronic devices is to
make sure everything
has it's own time slot and is 'clocked properly.

In the human world magicians use this 'trick' as the human eye can not see
everything at the same time i.e it can;t multitask, humans can't multitask.
They just think they can because they aren't clever enough to realise they
can't.

From: Alan LeHun on

--
Alan LeHun
From: whisky-dave on

"sobriquet" <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 19 apr, 14:59, "whisky-dave" <whisky-d...(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
>> "sobriquet" <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> If I'm listening to a facsinating audio book then why would I want to
>> listen
>> to music ?
>
> Why do people usually enjoy music in a bar during their conversations?

because the conversations aren't of interest to everyone present.
Usually during group conversations the music is a backdrop.

>> There's little proof that the human brain can mulititask, what is does is
>> ignore whatever other inmut is present, it's more time slicing than
>> multitasking.
>
> So if you have a conversation with someone, you can't walk and you
> have to stand still and
> keep your eyes closed in order to keep track of the conversation?

Well I don;t maybe you do ;-)
But do you understand the difference between such things.
I can breathe while asleep that isn't multitasking either.
If you get down to small time events you'd understand how it works.

> Your brain might be different from a typical human brain.

Well I wouldn;t mind one that can defy the laws of physics.

From: sobriquet on
On 19 apr, 14:59, "whisky-dave" <whisky-d...(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
> "sobriquet" <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > On 18 apr, 22:44, nospam <nos...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> >> In article
> >> <d21a81f2-1e92-456a-bb4e-7f12f33a1...(a)z7g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,

> >> maybe you can but most people can't or simply don't want to.
>
> > Or maybe they didn't realize they could and they didn't realize that
> > it
> > is extremely enjoyable.
>
> Or perhaps they just find it really annoying I do.
> I even hate it when films go over board with the misic to an extent that you
> can;t
> hear the dialogue, I don;t call that enjoyable even when it's meant to
> happen.

In movies they tend to have the annoying habit of playing the music
much louder
than the dialogues.. a very annoying habit. Makes you want to turn
down the volume
every time the music comes up and turn it up again in case of a
dialogue.
Oh well, I've seen too many movies anyway so nowadays I try to avoid
most movies
unless they are really worthwhile and those movies are few and far
between.

> > The pleasure derived from listening
> > to good music adds up to the pleasure derived from listening
> > to a fascinating audiobook.
>
> If I'm listening to a facsinating audio book then why would I want to listen
> to music ?

Why do people usually enjoy music in a bar during their conversations?

> There's little proof that the human brain can mulititask, what is does is
> ignore whatever other inmut is present, it's more time slicing than
> multitasking.

So if you have a conversation with someone, you can't walk and you
have to stand still and
keep your eyes closed in order to keep track of the conversation?

Your brain might be different from a typical human brain.

> > Sometimes I worry that I might die of a pleasure overdose, but
> > pleasure is one of those rare things that you can't have too much of.
>
> The simpler the mind the more easy that becomes.

Shallow minds can only experience superficial pleasures.
From: George Kerby on

On 4/18/10 8:20 PM, in article
2010041818204628635-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> On 2010-04-18 18:03:48 -0700, sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> said:

>>> And how many 3rd party apps does it run?
>>
>> http://thepiratebay.org/search/windows%20mobile/0/99/0

>>> Stop. �Do not make any more claims about computers. �You don't know
>>> the subject and you're just making a fool of yourself.
>>
>> I used to study computer science.
>
> Until somebody dangled a bright shiny thing in front of you.

Thanks. I just spewed coffee on my keyboard!