From: George Kerby on

On 4/18/10 4:22 PM, in article 180420101422403125%nospam(a)nospam.invalid,
"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article
> <456adbbe-58cd-4a3d-992e-6be3c0e61c6f(a)k41g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,

>>> maybe you can but most people can't or simply don't want to.
>>
>> Or maybe they didn't realize they could and they didn't realize that
>> it
>> is extremely enjoyable.
>
> i'm pretty sure that most people who listen to an audio book don't also
> want music playing. it's just not a feature that's very important.
>
>> The pleasure derived from listening
>> to good music adds up to the pleasure derived from listening
>> to a fascinating audiobook.
>
> get an audiobook with music then.
>
>> Sometimes I worry that I might die of a pleasure overdose, but
>> pleasure is one of those rare things that you can't have too much of.
>
>> Far more easy to listen to an audiobook than to read a book. Listening
>> to a book
>> is a passive activity where you have your mind available to reflect
>> upon the
>> content of the book, while reading is an active talk that can make you
>> tired
>> as it requires effort on your part to make your eyes trace the
>> sentences and
>> you constantly have to match the end of the line to the start of the
>> subsequent
>> line.
>
> yet more people read books than listen to them.
>
>> Evolutionarily speaking, sound and spoken language is much more
>> ingrained in our evolutionary makeup compared to written language that
>> you have to convert to spoken language in your head.
>
> whatever.
>
>>> so get an app that lets you mix. it's not something most people are
>>> going to want to do.
>>
>> No, because why would you need a separate application for
>> multitasking.. that's silly.
>
> playing two sounds simultaneously is not what most people would call
> multitasking.
>>
>> All you need is simply 2 or 3 music players that will play
>> simultaneously and independently.
>
> it's not something that very many people care to do.
>
>>> it's not a pocket computer.
>>
>> Hehehe... right.. Apple has put so many restrictions on its
>> functionality that you can't
>> consider it a real pocket computer.
>
> nonsense.

You are arguing with a idiot savant. You will never be able to get across
that great chasm. It is a waste of energy...

From: George Kerby on

On 4/18/10 5:56 PM, in article
2010041815563938981-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> On 2010-04-18 15:01:57 -0700, sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> said:
>
>> On 18 apr, 23:49, nospam <nos...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>> In article
>>> <9a6c7306-9ec3-4b00-a238-ef4df5c41...(a)5g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,

>>> you mean like every other product?
>>>
>>> this is a photo group, what about the features nikon left out on the
>>> entry level cameras? what, no 51 point autofocus on the d3000? oh no.
>>
>> Yes, like every other product basically. But some companies tend to
>> restrict
>> the functionality of their products rather severely and unnecessarily.
>>
>> A good example is the CHDK firmware hack that allows you to
>> dramatically
>> expand the functionality of Canon powershot camera's.
>>
>> But iPods have always been famous for forcing users to use iTunes
>> while other mp3
>> players work more like a usb drive with no restrictions on being
>> allowed to copy
>> mp3s freely.
>> It's not like all portable devices are crippled in this respect, but
>> some companies
>> like Apple go to great lengths to seriously impair the functionality
>> of their devices whenever corporate interests might motivate them to
>> do so.
>
> You obviously are unaware that other than being Apple's proprietary
> media player, iTunes is also the interface between the iPod (& iPhone)
> and computer. (that can be Mac or Windows machine)
> iTunes and the iPod have not trouble handling mp3, AAC, AIFF, Apple
> Lossless, & WAV files.
> I can down load and import MP3 files into itunes and load them into my
> iPod without any issue.
>
> The iPod can also be used as a USB (Firewire for the older versions)
> harddrive for storage of any file you might choose to keep there.
>
> iTunes & iPod have no problem dealing with Audible Books proprietary
> files, or those non-mp3 files from some of the other audiobook
> publishers.
>
> Now, what is your problem?

He is an idiot savant. No reasoning with such people.

From: George Kerby on

On 4/18/10 6:22 PM, in article C7F10C8B.491C40%bobhaar(a)me.com, "Robert Haar"
<bobhaar(a)me.com> wrote:

> On 4/18/10 1:52 PM, "George Kerby" <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 4/18/10 11:01 AM, in article C7F0A527.491B7F%bobhaar(a)me.com, "Robert
>> Haar" <bobhaar(a)me.com> wrote:

>>> My iPhone (not jail broken) allows me to be on a phone call while I am
>>> reading email or browsing the web. And I get background push notifications
>>> through several apps. While it may not be technically full multitasking, I
>>> don't feel a need for more.
>>>
>>> It sounds like you have drunk Google's Cool-aid.
>>>
>> He has A.D.D. and the need for that is mostly uncontrollable. Much like
>> Bloomberg Television on steroids...
>>

> Must be. That's the only excuse I can think of for listening to three audio
> steams simultaneously.

You HAVE followed this thread? The guy is the Poster Child for A.D.D.

From: sobriquet on

http://thepiratebay.org/search/windows%20mobile/0/99/0

> >Multitasking is multitasking..
>
> Stop.  Do not make any more claims about computers.  You don't know
> the subject and you're just making a fool of yourself.

I used to study computer science.

> >. on the PC
>
> It's not a PC.

A pocket PC is still a PC. But iPhones are crippled and inferior
pocket PCs.

From: sobriquet on
On 19 apr, 02:19, George Kerby <ghost_top...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/18/10 3:53 PM, in article
> 56bf048f-c808-45be-9827-ca1688f87...(a)v14g2000yqb.googlegroups.com,
>

> "sobriquet" <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> What a load of BS!
> >> I suppose you do that, while simultaneously skateboarding across a
> >> freeway, balancing a tray of cocktails on your butt, playing a
> >> saxophone, downloading stolen software, writing a doctoral
> >> dissertation, scratching your head, and posting to this NG.
>
> >> Such talent!
>
> > I regularly do 4 or 5 things at the same time, I don't see what's
> > special about it.
>
> Because you are afflicted with Attention Deficient Disorder.
>
> <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36582695>
>
> Seek help.

That just depends how much attention is needed. Our brain has evolved
to do things
on the autopilot once we've mastered them (like walking or riding the
bicycle).
That's why we can walk, enjoy music, enjoy a conversation and enjoy
the scenery all at the same time (at least I sure know I can). Though
these activities can take turns demanding more or less of our
attention.
So at times you might be barely aware of the fact there is music in
the background as more of your attention might be required to keep
track of the conversation, while at other times the conversation might
be less interesting, allowing your attention to shift more towards the
scenery and the music.