From: sobriquet on
On 19 apr, 00:52, nospam <nos...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article
> <8ffdffd4-6143-40d7-b641-b6b52753f...(a)e7g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,
>
> sobriquet <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Right.. Apple has every right to produce and sell garbage.. I'm all
> > for freedom.
>
> given that they own the market for mp3 players, very few people think
> it's garbage.

It's a bit like the reason Beethoven is so well known. Not because of
the quality
of his music, but because he had a very good publicity manager.

> > But my advice turned out to be justified, judging from the funny
> > I get from iPhone users who claim they are not even interested in
> > multitasking as a feature on their toy phone.
>
> nobody said that.

Multitasking means that you can use *any* two (or more) applications
simultaneously, not just
the applications that Apple thinks are useful to run simultaneously.
It should be up to users to decide which applications they might find
useful to run simultaneously.
At least, that's the way it works on my HTC PPC. I can run any two or
more applications simultaneously (though you are right in your remark
that the screen real estate is too limited
to have them both visible simultaneously).

> > Avoid Apple like the plague if you are serious about mobile
> > information technology.
>
> wrong.

It's just my opinion as someone who uses mobile information technology
all the time.
Your opinion might be different.

> > Just look at how long it took Apple to realize DRM is a dead end. :-))
>
> they've *always* had that position. the record companies forced them.

Well, in that respect I guess I can't deny that the intellectual
property mafia
(record companies, etc.) is indeed responsible for all the DRM issues.

> why don't you slam microsoft for their 'plays for sure' drm which was
> *discontinued* screwing people who bought content.

In that respect, Microsoft is also scamming people most of the time.
In fact, I think
Microsoft is even more of a criminal organisation than Apple and they
have been repeatedly convicted for exploiting their monopoly position.

I would also advice people to avoid mp3 players from Microsoft (like
Zune) like the plague.

In fact, all pocket mp3 players should be avoided like the plague,
regardless of their brand, because there are PPC devices that will
play multiple playlists independently, which render all mp3 players
redundant (except perhaps for people who are using them while working
out and might be more concerned about the size of their mobile audio
device).
From: Robert Haar on
On 4/18/10 1:52 PM, "George Kerby" <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/18/10 11:01 AM, in article C7F0A527.491B7F%bobhaar(a)me.com, "Robert
> Haar" <bobhaar(a)me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/18/10 11:35 AM, "sobriquet" <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Those poor iPhone users are still waiting for multitasking to be
>>> implemented, while pocket pc users have been enjoying multitasking
>>> for years.
>>
>> My iPhone (not jail broken) allows me to be on a phone call while I am
>> reading email or browsing the web. And I get background push notifications
>> through several apps. While it may not be technically full multitasking, I
>> don't feel a need for more.
>>
>> It sounds like you have drunk Google's Cool-aid.
>>
> He has A.D.D. and the need for that is mostly uncontrollable. Much like
> Bloomberg Television on steroids...

Must be. That's the only excuse I can think of for listening to three audio
steams simultaneously.

From: nospam on
In article
<1301f65f-1b1f-44e8-bcdc-e9f0bb9ff1d6(a)12g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> > given that they own the market for mp3 players, very few people think
> > it's garbage.
>
> It's a bit like the reason Beethoven is so well known. Not because of
> the quality
> of his music, but because he had a very good publicity manager.

you can't be serious.

> > > But my advice turned out to be justified, judging from the funny
> > > I get from iPhone users who claim they are not even interested in
> > > multitasking as a feature on their toy phone.
> >
> > nobody said that.
>
> Multitasking means that you can use *any* two (or more) applications
> simultaneously, not just
> the applications that Apple thinks are useful to run simultaneously.

nope. it means running two or more apps at the same time.

> It should be up to users to decide which applications they might find
> useful to run simultaneously.

what's more important is if the device solves a particular task. users
don't care how it happens, only that it happens. they typically want to
get email while listening to music while surfing the web, which can be
done on an iphone, and for the past three years.

> At least, that's the way it works on my HTC PPC. I can run any two or
> more applications simultaneously (though you are right in your remark
> that the screen real estate is too limited
> to have them both visible simultaneously).

which means it's not like on a desktop computer, is it?

on an iphone, most apps save and restore their state, so a quit/launch
is basically the same as invoking a task manager and picking another
app. in fact, it's faster to quit/launch on an iphone 3gs today than
switch apps on a palm pre, for instance.

> > > Avoid Apple like the plague if you are serious about mobile
> > > information technology.
> >
> > wrong.
>
> It's just my opinion as someone who uses mobile information technology
> all the time.
> Your opinion might be different.

it's not just my opinion, but that of the buying public.

> > > Just look at how long it took Apple to realize DRM is a dead end. :-))
> >
> > they've *always* had that position. the record companies forced them.
>
> Well, in that respect I guess I can't deny that the intellectual
> property mafia
> (record companies, etc.) is indeed responsible for all the DRM issues.

but you blamed it on apple.

> > why don't you slam microsoft for their 'plays for sure' drm which was
> > *discontinued* screwing people who bought content.
>
> In that respect, Microsoft is also scamming people most of the time.

isn't your phone windows mobile? oh the irony.

> In fact, I think
> Microsoft is even more of a criminal organisation than Apple and they
> have been repeatedly convicted for exploiting their monopoly position.

yes, that's true.

> I would also advice people to avoid mp3 players from Microsoft (like
> Zune) like the plague.

they are doing that. zune has like 2-3% market share.

> In fact, all pocket mp3 players should be avoided like the plague,
> regardless of their brand, because there are PPC devices that will
> play multiple playlists independently, which render all mp3 players
> redundant (except perhaps for people who are using them while working
> out and might be more concerned about the size of their mobile audio
> device).

that's not a feature that normal people want.
From: George Kerby on

On 4/18/10 1:22 PM, in article 4bcb4de4$0$1610$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net, "Ray
Fischer" <rfischer(a)sonic.net> wrote:

> sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On 9 apr, 01:09, RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Wait for HP to release its version. �No USB port Apple? �Are you THAT
>>> paranoid about content control??
>>
>> Avoid Apple like the plague.
>
> Avoid irrational bigots.
>
>> Those poor iPhone users are still waiting for multitasking to be
>
> And there is an example of how the irrational bigot "thinks": latch
> onto one aspect that you don't understand and then use it to justify
> your bigotry.

Somehow, I'm beginning to like you. God help me...

From: George Kerby on

On 4/18/10 3:53 PM, in article
56bf048f-c808-45be-9827-ca1688f873be(a)v14g2000yqb.googlegroups.com,
"sobriquet" <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 18 apr, 19:47, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> Ah, so finally you can now play 3 separate playlists of mp3s on the
>>> iPhone?
>>> That's the feature that I enjoy most on my HTC PPC (for listening to
>>> various kinds of music
>>> and audiobooks simultaneously).
>>
>> What a load of BS!
>> I suppose you do that, while simultaneously skateboarding across a
>> freeway, balancing a tray of cocktails on your butt, playing a
>> saxophone, downloading stolen software, writing a doctoral
>> dissertation, scratching your head, and posting to this NG.
>>
>> Such talent!
>
> I regularly do 4 or 5 things at the same time, I don't see what's
> special about it.

Because you are afflicted with Attention Deficient Disorder.

<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36582695>

Seek help.