From: sobriquet on
On 18 apr, 20:22, rfisc...(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
> sobriquet  <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On 9 apr, 01:09, RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Wait for HP to release its version.  No USB port Apple?  Are you THAT
> >> paranoid about content control??
>
> >Avoid Apple like the plague.
>
> Avoid irrational bigots.
>
> >Those poor iPhone users are still waiting for multitasking to be
>
> And there is an example of how the irrational bigot "thinks": latch
> onto one aspect that you don't understand and then use it to justify
> your bigotry.
>
> --
> Ray Fischer
> rfisc...(a)sonic.net

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10467752-233.html

Multitasking is about as basic as functionality gets on a computer.
From: nospam on
In article
<77e58fae-b9b7-4c74-8ef9-f46f6188ca4a(a)z7g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10467752-233.html
>
> Multitasking is about as basic as functionality gets on a computer.

it's a phone, not a computer, and it has multitasked since day one. it
can play music, check email, make and receive calls and quite a bit
more, all at the same time.

what's coming to iphone os 4 is the ability for third party apps to run
in the background, which a lot of people mistakenly call multitasking,
and it will do so in a way that doesn't murder battery life.
From: sobriquet on
On 18 apr, 19:47, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> On 2010-04-18 10:05:54 -0700, sobriquet <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> said:

> >> My iPhone (not jail broken) allows me to be on a phone call while I am
> >> reading email or browsing the web. And I get background push notifications
> >> through several apps. While it may not be technically full multitasking, I
> >> don't feel a need for more.
>
> >> It sounds like you have drunk Google's Cool-aid.
>
> > Ah, so finally you can now play 3 separate playlists of mp3s on the
> > iPhone?
> > That's the feature that I enjoy most on my HTC PPC (for listening to
> > various kinds of music
> > and audiobooks simultaneously).
>
> What a load of BS!
> I suppose you do that, while simultaneously skateboarding across a
> freeway, balancing a tray of cocktails on your butt, playing a
> saxophone, downloading stolen software, writing a doctoral
> dissertation, scratching your head, and posting to this NG.
>
> Such talent!

I regularly do 4 or 5 things at the same time, I don't see what's
special about it.
Many activities go on the autopilot and only require a fraction of
your attention and awareness. When you learn to ride a bicycle, you
might need your full attention, but once you have mastered this
ability, you can easily enjoy music while riding on the bicycle.
If you sit in a bar, usually they have music playing in the background
that you can listen to even while having a conversation (provided they
don't play it too loud).

Likewise, there is no reason why you can't enjoy an audiobook while
listening to music.

From: sobriquet on
On 18 apr, 22:47, nospam <nos...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article
> <77e58fae-b9b7-4c74-8ef9-f46f6188c...(a)z7g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
>
> sobriquet <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> >http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10467752-233.html
>
> > Multitasking is about as basic as functionality gets on a computer.
>
> it's a phone, not a computer, and it has multitasked since day one. it
> can play music, check email, make and receive calls and quite a bit
> more, all at the same time.
>
> what's coming to iphone os 4 is the ability for third party apps to run
> in the background, which a lot of people mistakenly call multitasking,
> and it will do so in a way that doesn't murder battery life.

Well, that's the kind of multitasking I've been enjoying for a long
time on my HTC..
and I see that iPhone users are indeed still waiting for it. :-))

Multitasking is multitasking.. on the PC you also have many programs
running at the same time, so it's only natural to expect this from a
pocket computer.

If the iPhone is not a pocket computer it's probably because Apple has
severely limited it's functionality to the point where it's more of a
toy phone than a real pocket computer like the HTC PPC.
From: nospam on
In article
<9da85dbb-6246-41cf-a662-d3faf8a5297b(a)x12g2000yqx.googlegroups.com>,
sobriquet <dohduhdah(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Multitasking is multitasking..

nope.

> on the PC you also have many programs
> running at the same time, so it's only natural to expect this from a
> pocket computer.

nope. what works on a desktop is not appropriate for a mobile device
that has a small screen, limited memory and a battery. it's not like
you can create more swap files on the large hard drive inside it.

> If the iPhone is not a pocket computer it's probably because Apple has
> severely limited it's functionality to the point where it's more of a
> toy phone than a real pocket computer like the HTC PPC.

technically it's a computer but that doesn't matter to users. it's a
phone that does a lot of stuff, much more than an htc ppc device.