From: nospam on
In article <4bc07d94$0$4971$9a6e19ea(a)unlimited.newshosting.com>,
Stuffed Crust <pizza(a)spam.shaftnet.org> wrote:

> > It is really funny. This is like the people who keep insisting that OS
> > X does not support true 64 bit processing. It is the old "moving the
> > goal posts" fallacy. Apple adds multitasking, then say it is not "true"
> > multitasking.
>
> Yes, OSX didn't support native 64-bit processing in userspace until Snow
> Leopoard's release. Apple trumpeted this as one of its big new features.
> (See http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/#sixtyfourbit)

nonsense. os x has supported 64 bit user space since tiger, 5 years
ago. i think mathematica was 64 bit in tiger, among a few others. your
link even says so: "Earlier versions of Mac OS X have offered a range
of 64-bit capabilities."

snow leopard is the first version that has a 64 bit kernel, making it
*completely* 64 bit, but that is not necessary for a user space app
unless you need more than 32 gigs of memory. very few people need the
64 bit kernel since there aren't many 64 bit drivers (yet).

> > It appears that the main reason Apple is not supporting Flash on the
> > iPad is that Flash interferes with multitasking. Apple's multitasking
> > is implemented in seven APIs. Fast Switching allows apps to be frozen
>
> Eh, that's bullshit. A much more poignant reason is that most flash
> stuff is designed for mouse interation (especially "hovering") and as
> such simply won't work with a touch interface.

true, as well as being proprietary and a battery hog.

> > It seems to me that when people say that the iPad and iPhone do not
> > have true multitasking then what they really mean is that the iPad and
> > iPhone do not have a crappy, poorly implemented, battery draining form
> > of multitasking like they are used to.
>
> You do realize you're just "moved the goalposts" by redefining what
> "multitasking" is to suit your argument?

he didn't.

> > There is absolutely nothing that stops Adobe from developing a version
> > of Flash that would meet the needs of the iPhone/iPad API. Yet Adobe
> > does not do this. That is certainly not Apple's fault.
>
> See section 3.3.1 of the "proposed" OS4 SDK license. Adobe is
> dissallowed from writing a version of Flash without special dispensation
> from Apple, and even then, anyone wanting to actually use Flash would
> also have to get special dispensation.

actually, that part isn't why.
From: nospam on
In article <pf20s5hsabmvmqq9itm79ndionkgha66iv(a)4ax.com>, John A.
<john(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:

> Other than the form factor and UI, what is fundamentally different
> about it? Other than running a different OS in order to support the
> form factor and UI, what is the difference between it and a laptop?

it's an entirely different product category that does some of the same
things as a traditional computer but with touch. the user experience is
very different. it also does a number of things that are difficult or
impossible on a desktop or laptop computer.
From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-04-09 20:57:18 -0700, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> said:

> On 4/9/2010 11:24 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> Not a bad analogy at all.
>>
>> yes it is
>>
>>> They're both handheld devices that run
>>> applications and communicate.
>>
>> that's where it ends.
>>
>> a cellphone is a handheld device that runs applications and
>> communicates, so by your metric, a cellphone is also a netbook.
>>
>>> And one's capabilities are largely a
>>> subset of the other's.
>>
>> actually, they're different with some overlap.
>>
>>> The book vs tablet difference is just the physical UI. To say they're
>>> apples& oranges is like saying it's impossible to compare the
>>> capabilities of a pen and a typewriter.
>>
>> a pen is not a 'smaller typewriter' and an ipad is not a 'less capable
>> netbook.'
>
> He didn't say that it was a netbook, he said that it was less capable
> than a netbook? Is the problem that (a) you're not a native speaker of
> English, (b) you failed reading comprehension, (c) you're stupid or
> (d) you're just a jackass?

Well, what he said is about equivalent to saying that an automobile is
less capable than a boat. Meaningless.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

From: nospam on
In article
<2010041008160375249-christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmailcom>, C J
Campbell <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Well, what he said is about equivalent to saying that an automobile is
> less capable than a boat. Meaningless.

why not have both a car *and* a boat? :)

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphicar>
From: J. Clarke on
On 4/10/2010 10:16 AM, nospam wrote:
> In article<pf20s5hsabmvmqq9itm79ndionkgha66iv(a)4ax.com>, John A.
> <john(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Other than the form factor and UI, what is fundamentally different
>> about it? Other than running a different OS in order to support the
>> form factor and UI, what is the difference between it and a laptop?
>
> it's an entirely different product category that does some of the same
> things as a traditional computer but with touch. the user experience is
> very different. it also does a number of things that are difficult or
> impossible on a desktop or laptop computer.

Name one.