From: nospam on
In article <k3qvr5l69osbf91i7g58uvarjdd02fp3hu(a)4ax.com>, John A.
<john(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:

> >> A pickup isn't a dump truck, but it certainly has a certain fraction
> >> of the capabilities of one.
> >
> >bad analogy. they're both trucks.
> >
> >the ipad is not a netbook, it's a tablet. it has a lot more in common
> >with a kindle than it does a netbook. it's in many ways, a kindle on an
> >awful lot of steroids.
>
> Not a bad analogy at all.

yes it is

> They're both handheld devices that run
> applications and communicate.

that's where it ends.

a cellphone is a handheld device that runs applications and
communicates, so by your metric, a cellphone is also a netbook.

> And one's capabilities are largely a
> subset of the other's.

actually, they're different with some overlap.

> The book vs tablet difference is just the physical UI. To say they're
> apples & oranges is like saying it's impossible to compare the
> capabilities of a pen and a typewriter.

a pen is not a 'smaller typewriter' and an ipad is not a 'less capable
netbook.'
From: nospam on
In article <82a7piF2hjU5(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
wrote:

> >> You're right, of course, it doesn't even have half the capability of a
> >> netbook - though it does cost over twice as much.
> >
> > since it's not a netbook, how can it have half the capabilities of one?
>
> A laptop is not a netbook either - it has all the capabilities of one and
> more - but in a larger form factor.

and how is that relevant to an ipad?
From: RichA on
On Apr 9, 11:33 am, SMS <scharf.ste...(a)geemail.com> wrote:
> On 09/04/10 7:02 AM, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
>
> > "RichA"<rander3...(a)gmail.com>  wrote in message
> >> Wait for HP to release its version.  No USB port Apple?  Are you THAT
> >> paranoid about content control??
>
> > No they are that predatory about locking in customers...
>
> The iPad is a media consumption device (MCD). It's not about locking in
> customers, it's about selling media content. Think of the iPad as a
> Kindle with expanded functionality for gaming, web browsing, and
> entertainment and education, not as a tablet PC with reduced
> functionality.

We are still in the infancy of things other than notebooks and home
computers. We can avoid this overpriced junk until something better
comes along. Something 8.5x11, that is 5mm thick, relatively light,
folds in half, has a screen where you can choose reflective and
emission display and is FULLY FUNCTIONAL!

>The attacks on the iPad seem to be based on "it can't do
> all these things that a laptop or a netbook can do but it costs more"
> while the focus should be on the things that it can do better than a
> laptop or netbook.

Fleece the sheep you mean.
From: Ray Fischer on
Mr. Strat <rag(a)nospam.techline.com> wrote:
>In article <827ijtF2hkU52(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 16:09:40 -0700, RichA wrote:
>>
>> > Wait for HP to release its version. No USB port Apple? Are you THAT
>> > paranoid about content control??
>>
>> Half a netbook for over twice the price - what's the point?
>
>The iPad will outperform a netbook easily.

How can you tell? You can't run the same applications. You can't set
up a comparable test. You can't even define what "outperform" means.
The claim is meaningless.
--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: J. Clarke on
On 4/9/2010 11:24 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> bad analogy. they're both trucks.
>>>
>>> the ipad is not a netbook, it's a tablet. it has a lot more in common
>>> with a kindle than it does a netbook. it's in many ways, a kindle on an
>>> awful lot of steroids.
>>
>> Not a bad analogy at all.
>
> yes it is
>
>> They're both handheld devices that run
>> applications and communicate.
>
> that's where it ends.
>
> a cellphone is a handheld device that runs applications and
> communicates, so by your metric, a cellphone is also a netbook.
>
>> And one's capabilities are largely a
>> subset of the other's.
>
> actually, they're different with some overlap.
>
>> The book vs tablet difference is just the physical UI. To say they're
>> apples& oranges is like saying it's impossible to compare the
>> capabilities of a pen and a typewriter.
>
> a pen is not a 'smaller typewriter' and an ipad is not a 'less capable
> netbook.'

He didn't say that it was a netbook, he said that it was less capable
than a netbook? Is the problem that (a) you're not a native speaker of
English, (b) you failed reading comprehension, (c) you're stupid or (d)
you're just a jackass?