From: SMS on
On 08/04/10 7:54 PM, C J Campbell wrote:

<snip>

> Obviously you missed today's presentation on iPhone OS 4.0. Jobs
> Also, 4.0 will have true multitasking, so you are wrong about that, too.

Nope, unfortunately 4.0 doesn't have true multi-tasking. They made a
little progress, but they are not there yet. You must have missed the
presentation on 4.0.

> USB is so 20th century anyway, as is Firewire. You might as well demand
> a serial or parallel port or a floppy disk drive. You want a buggy whip
> holder with that? Everything is supposed to connect to the iPad
> wirelessly.

Nope, no iPad support for most Bluetooth profiles. 802.11 would be a
possibility.

What you need to understand is that nearly all the peripherals now being
used with tablets and thin clients in vertical applications are
connected via USB. In many instances there are even older interfaces
being used. These devices aren't going to be redesigned, and replaced,
to work with a device that lacks the most popular and most basic of I/O.
It was a conscious decision of Apple to not include connectivity that
would allow the iPad to be used in ways that did not generate revenue
from content.

Apple is certainly free to put, or not put, whatever hardware and
software features into their products that they believe will generate
the most revenue.
From: Stuffed Crust on
In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems C J Campbell <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> They are introducing multitasking this fall. And if you really need an
> old-fashioned, obsolete USB port because your IT team is still stuck in
> the 20th century, you can have one.

Yeah, because nobody would EVER need to attach a peripheral to an iPad.

USB is used for more than bulk storage and network connectivity.

Oh, and the OS4 "multitasking" isn't; it's more accurate to call it
"background services".

- Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet dot org
Melbourne, FL ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^
From: nospam on
In article <4bbf3f57$0$1632$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS
<scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:

> > Obviously you missed today's presentation on iPhone OS 4.0. Jobs
> > Also, 4.0 will have true multitasking, so you are wrong about that, too.
>
> Nope, unfortunately 4.0 doesn't have true multi-tasking. They made a
> little progress, but they are not there yet. You must have missed the
> presentation on 4.0.

it's very definitely 'true multitasking,' which is really nothing more
than a meaningless buzzword.

> What you need to understand is that nearly all the peripherals now being
> used with tablets and thin clients in vertical applications are
> connected via USB. In many instances there are even older interfaces
> being used. These devices aren't going to be redesigned, and replaced,
> to work with a device that lacks the most popular and most basic of I/O.
> It was a conscious decision of Apple to not include connectivity that
> would allow the iPad to be used in ways that did not generate revenue
> from content.

bullshit.
From: SMS on
On 09/04/10 8:04 AM, Stuffed Crust wrote:
> In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems C J Campbell<christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> They are introducing multitasking this fall. And if you really need an
>> old-fashioned, obsolete USB port because your IT team is still stuck in
>> the 20th century, you can have one.
>
> Yeah, because nobody would EVER need to attach a peripheral to an iPad.
>
> USB is used for more than bulk storage and network connectivity.
>
> Oh, and the OS4 "multitasking" isn't; it's more accurate to call it
> "background services".

The iPad is what's called an MCD in industry circles, a media
consumption device. Nothing wrong with that of course, but what it can't
be, because of the hardware limitations, is a general purpose platform
used for all the applications that a regular tablet PC is used for.

The market for MCDs is far greater than the market for tablet computers,
so Apple will sell a gazillion iPads. They're going to become a very
popular gaming device and movie player for kids, and a popular web pad
for adults. The processor is fast enough for these applications, but
still low power enough for the device to have excellent battery life,
something you can't get on a full featured tablet computer.

The HP Slate has some advantages and some disadvantages compared to the
iPad. Because of its more powerful processor, battery life is half of
the iPad, yet because it's running Windows, performance will likely be
worse than the iPad despite the more powerful processor. On the plus
side, it can play 1080p HD video, it has two cameras (the iPad has
none), and it has a built in SD card reader and built in video out
(extra cost options with a kludgy dongle on the iPad). It has 4 times
the amount of user accessible SDRAM (1GB versus 256MB on the iPad). Not
sure about 3G, it may require an external USB 3G dongle.

Of course one big disadvantage of the HP Slate is that there apparently
won't be any $30/month unlimited 3G service. Since the Slate is a full
featured product running standard browsers that support Flash, there is
no way any carrier is going to give HP the same kind of sweet deal that
Apple got.

I would wager that the HP Slate is not going to be successful with
consumers, but will gain a following among techies using it for vertical
applications. General purpose tablet computers have only gained a
following in vertical market applications. You can buy a thin and light
computer with a more powerful processor for about the same price of an
HP Slate. For gaming, you're better off with a larger screen and a game
controller than a touch screen. For general purpose use you want a real
keyboard.

And of course HP does not have Apple's marketing capability. There are
no HP stores, a much poorer support infrastructure, and no HP fanbois.
From: SMS on
On 09/04/10 7:02 AM, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> "RichA"<rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Wait for HP to release its version. No USB port Apple? Are you THAT
>> paranoid about content control??
>
> No they are that predatory about locking in customers...

The iPad is a media consumption device (MCD). It's not about locking in
customers, it's about selling media content. Think of the iPad as a
Kindle with expanded functionality for gaming, web browsing, and
entertainment and education, not as a tablet PC with reduced
functionality. The attacks on the iPad seem to be based on "it can't do
all these things that a laptop or a netbook can do but it costs more"
while the focus should be on the things that it can do better than a
laptop or netbook.