From: nospam on
In article <sptwn.544988$FK3.219806(a)en-nntp-06.dc1.easynews.com>, GMAN
<Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org> wrote:

> The only reason the iPad lacks a USB port is so that Apple can controll every
> bit that passes from one location to the next. They can charge for the
> bandwidth.

absolute nonsense. where do people come up with this stuff?
From: Doug McDonald on
As said at beginning of thread:

best advice about iPad:

if you want one, BUY ONE

if you don't, don't

This device is one of those love or hate "by feeling" thingies

I hate Apple as a company, but, once I finally figured out (not easy)
how to make my iPod do what I want it to, I love it.
(It's permanently on Shuffle, and I change all the tracks when it
finishes playing all of them, taking a month or two. Problem is,
I have to redo every album to make a single piece of music
an "album" as it calls it.)

Doug McDonald
From: Robert Coe on
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 07:53:18 -0700, SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:
: On 08/04/10 7:54 PM, C J Campbell wrote:
:
: <snip>
:
: > Obviously you missed today's presentation on iPhone OS 4.0. Jobs
: > Also, 4.0 will have true multitasking, so you are wrong about that, too.
:
: Nope, unfortunately 4.0 doesn't have true multi-tasking. They made a
: little progress, but they are not there yet. You must have missed the
: presentation on 4.0.
:
: > USB is so 20th century anyway, as is Firewire. You might as well demand
: > a serial or parallel port or a floppy disk drive. You want a buggy whip
: > holder with that? Everything is supposed to connect to the iPad
: > wirelessly.
:
: Nope, no iPad support for most Bluetooth profiles. 802.11 would be a
: possibility.
:
: What you need to understand is that nearly all the peripherals now being
: used with tablets and thin clients in vertical applications are
: connected via USB. In many instances there are even older interfaces
: being used. These devices aren't going to be redesigned, and replaced,
: to work with a device that lacks the most popular and most basic of I/O.
: It was a conscious decision of Apple to not include connectivity that
: would allow the iPad to be used in ways that did not generate revenue
: from content.
:
: Apple is certainly free to put, or not put, whatever hardware and
: software features into their products that they believe will generate
: the most revenue.

And if they've guessed wrong, they may have shot themselves in the foot
bigtime. I won't care, but some in this newsgroup obviously will.

Bob
From: whisky-dave on

"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Wait for HP to release its version.

Nah, the apps store is what'll make the iPad a best buy option.

From: Mr. Strat on
In article <sptwn.544988$FK3.219806(a)en-nntp-06.dc1.easynews.com>, GMAN
<Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org> wrote:

> In article <110420101639447786%rag(a)nospam.techline.com>, "Mr. Strat"
> <rag(a)nospam.techline.com> wrote:
> >In article <829nu8F2hjU3(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
> >wrote:

> >> That I've got to see! What about all the lacking capability?
> >
> >Lacking what...a camera? USB is so 20th century...get with it, man.
> The only reason the iPad lacks a USB port is so that Apple can controll every
> bit that passes from one location to the next. They can charge for the
> bandwidth.

They have the ability to charge money for things transferring through
Bluetooth?