From: J. Clarke on
On 4/10/2010 1:12 AM, nospam wrote:

>>> it makes it very different.
>>
>> It makes the UI different. Replace a truck's steering wheel and pedals
>> with a couple joysticks and you've got a very different driving
>> experience, but it's still a truck.
>
> bad analogy. that's like switching a mouse for a trackpad.
>
> an ipad runs a different os than what's on a desktop, with different
> apps designed for touch. it's not a laptop without a keyboard.

So what?

From: J. Clarke on
On 4/10/2010 9:31 AM, Stuffed Crust wrote:
> In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems C J Campbell<christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> It is really funny. This is like the people who keep insisting that OS
>> X does not support true 64 bit processing. It is the old "moving the
>> goal posts" fallacy. Apple adds multitasking, then say it is not "true"
>> multitasking.
>
> Yes, OSX didn't support native 64-bit processing in userspace until Snow
> Leopoard's release. Apple trumpeted this as one of its big new features.
> (See http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/#sixtyfourbit)
>
>> Note that these critics will never tell you what "true" multitasking
>> is, either. After all, people might hold the devices and operating
>> systems they say are better to the same standards. That would never do.
>
> Okay, do you really want to know? The explanation is going to be
> technical and boring, and in the end, you'll probably just counter with
> "so what, it looks the same to the user?"
>
>> It appears that the main reason Apple is not supporting Flash on the
>> iPad is that Flash interferes with multitasking. Apple's multitasking
>> is implemented in seven APIs. Fast Switching allows apps to be frozen
>
> Eh, that's bullshit. A much more poignant reason is that most flash
> stuff is designed for mouse interation (especially "hovering") and as
> such simply won't work with a touch interface.

Seven APIs? What did they do, dust off pre OS/X MacOS? Geez, talk
about a giant leap backward . . .

From: tony cooper on
On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 08:16:03 -0700, C J Campbell
<christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 2010-04-09 20:57:18 -0700, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> said:
>
>> On 4/9/2010 11:24 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> yes it is

>>> that's where it ends.
>>>
>>> a cellphone is a handheld device that runs applications and
>>> communicates, so by your metric, a cellphone is also a netbook.

>>> actually, they're different with some overlap.

>>> a pen is not a 'smaller typewriter' and an ipad is not a 'less capable
>>> netbook.'
>>
>> He didn't say that it was a netbook, he said that it was less capable
>> than a netbook? Is the problem that (a) you're not a native speaker of
>> English, (b) you failed reading comprehension, (c) you're stupid or
>> (d) you're just a jackass?
>
>Well, what he said is about equivalent to saying that an automobile is
>less capable than a boat. Meaningless.

Not all automobiles are less capable than a boat:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photography/Miscellanea/2010-03-27-005/820934679_RaFVY-XL.jpg

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photography/Miscellanea/2010-03-27-006/820934755_wW4nx-XL.jpg

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-04-10 08:25:37 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> said:

> In article
> <2010041008160375249-christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmailcom>, C J
> Campbell <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, what he said is about equivalent to saying that an automobile is
>> less capable than a boat. Meaningless.
>
> why not have both a car *and* a boat? :)
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphicar>

I like the way you think, but I prefer separate vehicles.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-04-10 08:31:43 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 08:16:03 -0700, C J Campbell
> <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> He didn't say that it was a netbook, he said that it was less capable
>>> than a netbook? Is the problem that (a) you're not a native speaker of
>>> English, (b) you failed reading comprehension, (c) you're stupid or
>>> (d) you're just a jackass?
>>
>> Well, what he said is about equivalent to saying that an automobile is
>> less capable than a boat. Meaningless.
>
> Not all automobiles are less capable than a boat:
>
> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photography/Miscellanea/2010-03-27-005/820934679_RaFVY-XL.jpg

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photography/Miscellanea/2010-03-27-006/820934755_wW4nx-XL.jpg

If

people expected vehicles to do as many different things as personal
computers, they would look like this:

http://www.argoatv.com/

I think I need one.